• Page:

TOPIC: Polishing windshields...

Polishing windshields... 11 years 11 months ago #70382

• october
  • october's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I read the article in the research section about polishing out old windshields, and wondered if anyone has had good results using that method. Did you do it by hand, or use a buffing machine?

I took my Corson out for my first drive yesterday, and at first glance the windshield looks pretty good. How ever I basically had to crane my neck over the windshield the entire time, due to the haze/scratches...
So I was going to try to polish it, but wanted to hear from the experts first!

october

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Polishing windshields... 11 years 11 months ago #70411

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm definitely not an expert October, but I have tried my hand at this. A power buffer makes the job go a lot quicker, but a few words of caution. Keep the buffer moving, staying in one spot creates heat that will damage the material. Another tip (I learned the hard way) is don't push down on the buffer, a "light touch" is required. If the "plastic" (acrylic or polycarbonate) is aged, it can "crack" under too much pressure, looks like shattered safety glass when broken. (It could only be seen in the sun, but that's when you need it the clearest, right!?) HTH

Mark

Re:Polishing windshields... 11 years 11 months ago #70413

You can buy kits that are made for that. I never used them. I have taken a fine rubbing compound to plastic windshields not not boat windshield and it did take scratches out. I cut my windshield down last summer for my Winner. I took regular car wax to it and have done it three times so far ,hand rubbing it good and it is amazing how much has come out. This is what it looked like before and I have no pics after yet.
Attachments:

Re:Polishing windshields... 11 years 11 months ago #70437

I accidentally got Mothers chrome polish on my windshield doing the trim. When I rubbed it off it did improve the clarity. So, I did the entire windshield by hand and it did wonders.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online