• Page:

TOPIC: can anyone ID this woody?

can anyone ID this woody? 11 years 11 months ago #70355

• kajun
  • kajun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
i'm buying this woody tommorow, i havent seen it in person yet..i'm buying it basically for the motor and trailer... anyone know the model and year?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:can anyone ID this woody? 11 years 11 months ago #70365

Perhaps an early Hi Liner?

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:can anyone ID this woody? 11 years 11 months ago #70391

Could be Todd, it's missing a lot of chrome though. I've seen that swish paint job before but the CRS disease is kicking and I can't remember where. I'll have to do some searching Kajun and see what I come up with.

Bob

Re:can anyone ID this woody? 11 years 11 months ago #70394

• kajun
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well she's home safe in my yard!..... And I got a big surprise!.... It's a wood boat but the lower hull painted white is actually fiberglass over wood!!! So technically it's a glassic too! Still can't ID it though I've looked all over for something on it to ID it but nothing...also looks to be in fairly decent structural shape...few things but nothing that stuck out so far.....the face plate on motor is cracked in two :(....trailer is in great shape and complete!!.... Do you know how hard it is to find a good Tee Nee on the gulf coast? Lol.....very hard!!........anyway I'll get some better pics of it tommorow....

The guy I bought from kept calling it a Chris craft...but he had got it two weeks earlier from a guy whose grass he cuts...as payment from his grass cutting........could this be a 1956 Chris craft kit boat?

Re:can anyone ID this woody? 11 years 11 months ago #70399

It is very possible that it could be a Chris Craft kit boat with the optional fiberglass sheathing kit that I believe was available at that time. Alot of those boats were built and used but not properly stored, so the owners would do a "self repair" fiberglass coating to keep it from leaking so bad. What happened was that this just made the rot grow so much faster. Ask me how I know!
I had a glass covered bottom on my 1936 CC Racer. When I started to disassemble the hull to put on a new bottom, I was perplexed at how I was going to ever get that glass off. I found a loose piece on the transom, started pulling on it and ten minutes later I had the whole bottom peeled down to the bare wood.

Re:can anyone ID this woody? 11 years 11 months ago #70440

Yep not a big fan of glass over wood for that reason. I was thinking that it may be a Glen-L kit boat i think that's where i saw that paint scheme before.

Bob

Re:can anyone ID this woody? 11 years 11 months ago #71406

• kajun
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
still trying to ID this boat..any ideas?

Re:can anyone ID this woody? 11 years 11 months ago #71408

If you could try afew more pics with a couple of good stern shots that would really help.These old wooden boats are very hard to id. Sometimes just a couple of good stern shots with the motor well can Id these boats as this area was the best way to find out what make it is. You might also check out Albright Boats. It may be a Riviera model. Skip

Re:can anyone ID this woody? 11 years 11 months ago #71415

No clue what she is. Kit boat is a good guess. There were MANY makers of wooden kit boats: Chris-Craft; Taft; Luger; Custom Craft of Buffalo, NY; Glen-L; Bay City Boats; etc.....

Andreas

Re:can anyone ID this woody? 11 years 11 months ago #71417

kajun,

Sorry, but i have NO clue.
There were literally HUNDREDS of "small & independent boatbuilders", that made woode/glass boats in the 1950-70 period, including numerous makers who made nearly exact COPIES of the work of other designers.
For just ONE example, over 20 other builders COPIED the designs of T.N. Simmons after his death, in BOTH wood and glass. Some of the wood "copies" are MARKED as Simmon's own work!
(There were at least 50 boatbuilders in TX alone.)

I said all that to say this:
1. Look CAREFULLY in/on the hull for any markings that may give you clues as to the maker,
2. Write everything down that you find out, a for history's sake
and
3. BEST WISHES.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:can anyone ID this woody? 11 years 11 months ago #71419

And also not only the numerous builders but any of them who put the glass on the hulls were not thinking about what was it going to be like when after 40-50 years or more of service and improper care.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online