Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Painting My Hull Very quick question

Painting My Hull Very quick question 12 years 12 hours ago #70315

Very simple answer needed - Can I use Rustoleum Marine topside on my hull and expect good results?
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Painting My Hull Very quick question 12 years 6 hours ago #70318

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm certainly not an expert on the subject Tom, but will be glad to throw in the results of my research on the subject. I believe the answer to your question is YES, as long as you don't store the boat in the water for any length of time. (For that you would need a quality task-specific marine paint.) I used standard "equipment enamel" with added (Valspar) hardener on my project, very pleased with the outcome. I trailer to the lake and pull the boat out when I'm done for the day, seems to be holding up well. (Longevity test still in progress!) :laugh:

Mark

Re:Painting My Hull Very quick question 12 years 5 hours ago #70322

I never store mine on the water either. My boat gets in the water a few minutes before me and comes out a few minutes after I've got out. I've used old alkyk Ditzler Paint for years and Rustoleum too. My boat gets used in very shallow water and does fiss the bottom time to time and does get scarred.

Re:Painting My Hull Very quick question 12 years 1 hour ago #70339

Yea I'll probably have mine in the water for up to a week. Sooo...
Tom

Re: Painting My Hull Very quick question 11 years 11 months ago #70341

Fiddyninefins,

Unless your boat is kept "wet" all or most of the time,i suspect you will do FINE with Rustoleum.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Painting My Hull Very quick question 11 years 11 months ago #70348

Just remember paint that is not marine paint was not meant to spend it's life underwater.

Re: Painting My Hull Very quick question 11 years 11 months ago #70353

Exactly my quandry Robert. Do I have to use "bottom paint" or will "marine" "grade" paint work well enough. I guess I can't expect to get a non bubbling job if I leave the boat in the water for a month or more.
Tom

Re:Painting My Hull Very quick question 11 years 11 months ago #70376

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
On my wood Wolverine, I asked the previous owner what he used for the gray color that is about 3ft. wide that runs from the edge of the front floor directly under the front edge of the dash to the stern. He says he used Rustoleum porch paint. Now this area is often wet when the boat is in use, from wet feet, spray,etc. I will not use it again as the paint is coming off in sheets. The boat does not stay in the water! The boat was a total bare wood strip before laying down new paint and much varnish. From now on, it will be marine finishes only. It may be more expensive to buy, but it is cheaper to live with. JMHO My boat is handled as robert-lorigan uses his.

Dave

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online