Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: SHOULD I SAVE HER?

SHOULD I SAVE HER? 12 years 2 days ago #70230

A friend of mine wants to trade me some interior work for this boat! his uncle got the boat new in 76..... (looks older I know) and its been sitting under a tree for the last 7 years. It has a omc 120 electric shift drive. where most people are scared of the old stringer drives I have built a few of them with no issues and they are very easy to work on. It has no stress cracks and everything seems to be made out of fiberglass! Oh yea its made by marlin..... Do you guys and gals think its worth the trade? the boat is complete from the tubular trailer to the 8track player in the dash!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:SHOULD I SAVE HER? 12 years 2 days ago #70231

FRONT
Attachments:

Re:SHOULD I SAVE HER? 12 years 2 days ago #70232

How much is your time and work worth? Does the boat have a solid floor and transom? Are the stringers wood or fiberglass. Do you really want the boat and are you able to do the required work it will need. If its been outside for the last 7 yrs it most likely will need a fair amount of work.It will most likely cost you more in the end than the job you traded it for. But all boats are like that. If you really want it go for it. Some boats are really cheap in certain parts of the country. A boat is only worth what you but into it and how much you think it is worth. So think about it and you will be able to come to some good idea of what it is worth to you. Good luck with it. Skip.

Re:SHOULD I SAVE HER? 12 years 2 days ago #70233

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Sounds as though you have experience with the drive and if you can come to a barter that makes both parties happy, heck ya, why not?

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:SHOULD I SAVE HER? 12 years 2 days ago #70239

i say it should be saved but at what price do you trade for a boat that has been sitting several years. I found that most boats like this you can pick up for nothing and next to nothing. Unless it is a rare beast or something. Just how much work are you giving? I fear your getting into much more work than you might think. My neighbor has a boat sitting next to the road for about 5 years, the cover was new and then was shredded by time. Last winter it sat there the trailer frame bent and the tires went flat because it held water and was brimming to the gunwales with ice. After it thawed he put a new battery in it , replaced the fuel filters and it fired right up and the floor seemed solid.

Re:SHOULD I SAVE HER? 12 years 1 day ago #70270

Yea the floor is solid and the transom is is also solid. I like the boat it has allot of personality and appeal. It needs some work but not much as far as I can see. the most important thing is that she is all there. The motor is not frozen and the drive is in great shape. But you are right the work im doing is not worth the boat by far.

Re:SHOULD I SAVE HER? 12 years 1 day ago #70272

Yes neil this little boat has been on my mind and I think im going to go for it since I sold the glasspar citation project. they guy wanted it so bad he didnt want me to finish it lol. Its a challenge and im only 27 so this lil boat will only help my restoration skills improve. Im with you man WHY NOT?

Re:SHOULD I SAVE HER? 12 years 1 day ago #70273

robert-lorigan wrote:

i say it should be saved but at what price do you trade for a boat that has been sitting several years. I found that most boats like this you can pick up for nothing and next to nothing. Unless it is a rare beast or something. Just how much work are you giving? I fear your getting into much more work than you might think. My neighbor has a boat sitting next to the road for about 5 years, the cover was new and then was shredded by time. Last winter it sat there the trailer frame bent and the tires went flat because it held water and was brimming to the gunwales with ice. After it thawed he put a new battery in it , replaced the fuel filters and it fired right up and the floor seemed solid.[/quote

Lol wow he was lucky with that one. Im so glad where I live in california it never snows and never gets real cold! But I have had pretty good luck with these old boats I have a pretty good eye and know what to look for and ur right about getting boats like this next to nothing. a few years back i had a guy sell me a glastron carlson cvx 23 for 125 bucks...... Ha talk about ur perfect timing.

Re:SHOULD I SAVE HER? 12 years 1 day ago #70278

Most important thing I think is do you want this boat and how bad. I took on my Winner and I love a challenge. I got it. It had a good transom and no decks what so ever. It had a wooden decking from what I understand. I still have a small piece from the back of the boat. If you go for it all I ask is you share the project with us.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online