• Page:

TOPIC: Share your winter project.(s)

Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69751

• jepstr67
  • jepstr67's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
If you live in the snow zone like I do, it is time to think of what the winter project will be. For me it is easy. I'm going to start on the wooden Larson, Cabin Outboard Special (with double layer of armorglass coating) I bought last spring.

What is everyone else up to? Only 183 days until spring. :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69752

jepstr67,

IF you live in a place where there IS winter, i guess that's a big deal BUT here in south TX, i look forward to "winter", as it's cool enough to work on a boat OUTSIDE.
(air-conditioning a boatshop gets to be $$$$$$$$$$, when the temperature is around 100 degrees F.)

fyi, i'm looking forward to the temp being down in the 70s, so that i can start on the Hurricane & the Razorback runabouts.

PS: anyone need a closet-full of heavy coats, insulated boots, etc???? - i was DUMB enough to drag about 30 of them down here last "winter" from surburban DC.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69753

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Mary and I are going to finally get to the little Tollycraft this winter.
Attachments:

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69763

That Tolleycraft is going to be a great project. What will it all entail? A strip and refinish? I have the Donzi Hornet in my building awaiting a new waterpump shaft rebuild to see if the pump will cool properly. Had a cooling issue for hte past few years as slow speeds, and this is the only think left to fix!
Buehler Jet 35 has most of the bad spots ready to be filled. I bought a $6 file and ground out most cracks and will fill with Duraglass. Taking my sweet time and will do this right!
I am in need of two replacement gauges and think I will just start out and replace them with all new retro Stewart Warners.
Will also do a new rubrail on my Boston Whaler 13. That should only take a weekend!

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69765

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yup, just strip and refinish on the outside.
The Merc gets a good tuneup, the interior just gets a good cleaning and put back in. We are using a different trailer with bunks in stead of rollers, so that is covered.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69767

That Tolly looks so good, you are lucky to have such a nice one to refinish! Have you done this before? Let me know as I have done quite a few plywood and mohagony boats in my day. There are alot of hints that make it go alot easier and will give you better results. Where do you reside? I enjoy sharing information and learning from others!

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69810

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
My winter is going to be a short one this year- The company I work for is sending my to Germany for 6 months starting in January, which will cut in to the winter work schedule a bit.

I hope to get all the 'loose ends' on my Glasspar and Lake N Sea finished up before I go, the Glasspar has some small things here and there that I didn't get around to finishing, and the lake N sea still needs cushions... I have the Volksboat to start on, too- But think that will wait until I get my truck (1966 Ford) done, or at least back on the road.

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69812

'59 Cruisers Inc. Holiday. Currently in 1,000 pieces. Now, where does THIS go?.....

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69813

Nice Cruisers Inc. Project Vernon Farmer! Love the lapstrakes. I have yet to restore one, and believe me, they are on my list....
Remember that you are always moving forward when you are wokring on them!

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69818

Hi all, just subscribed to this site. Came across this thread; this is my winter time project. It was supossed to be finished THIS summer, however a new marriage and combining households puts this into next year. Anyway, this project boat has been a joy to work on, and any suggestions from anyone would be welcome. This boat was bought new by my great uncle who has been gone for eight years now. I am 45 now and remember riding in it at age 7.
More pics at below link.....

s145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/doctorbombay55/Boat/
Attachments:

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69821

Welcome aboard Beamer. I'm going to fabricate wooden seats for my Winner and make some walking sticks. I have about a dozen shafts cut. I hand sand them and finish them. They are not the best but it does give you something to do. This ball is an actual 8 ball. This is a cane with a story. :silly: This one I gave to John Gibson. Yes they are ugly, twisted ,bent and not perfect, just like me and my back. They are natural as found or cut with all of natures imperfections and scars. I do have one I'm excited about. It is a sassafrass with a natural knob on it for a handle. This was my Father-in-Laws cane he used for years. I refinished it for memory. And of course Grandchildren, 4 girls and one boy. This is Megan, the newest one.

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69822

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
..BEAMER, : WELCOME, I guess you are showing us a two tone Blue ,, about 1961 Glastron ..?? Thats a old trailer.. ?

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69833

Howdy, I'm new to this forum and boating. Earlier this summer I came across what is a 65 SeaRay 500 with a 58 "fat fifty". The lines and outrageous looking motor, by today's design standards, grew on me right away and I had to have it. I showed it to a buddy of mine before cleaning it up, and he said it was junk...that made me more determined to restore this creature. I gave her a bath and delousing, the motor started after cleaning the points and replacing the rotted fuel lines. A new set or plugs and all was good. Out to the lake she ran fine, but was a bit slow. What I found was these motors only produce about 28mph, and suck the gas. So, as for my winter project I'm overhauling the 61 Johnson 75hp that I bought from frog, but to keep the looks of the 58 I'm placing the internals into the "fat fifty" cowling. As for the boat, it's getting new seats and convertable top. She will still be a gas hog, but hopefully faster. Happy boating:-)

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69835

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
72hornet
This is the first wooden one for me.
I will start a thread when we start on it.
Thanks for the compliment and I will be needing advise for sure.
I am in central Idaho.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69837

1960 Glastron Fireflight, and the trailer is as old - the one old shock absorber that I had custom made in Colorado in the pic link on Photobucket is stamped '1959'

s145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/doctorbombay55/Boat/

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69850

Great pictures Robert! Kids will keep you busy....We have several Crepe Myrtle sticks awaiting to be carved as well. We love to hike.

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69852

Hey, does anyone know how to receive e-mails notifying you of post replies? Evidently, I didn't set up something right...

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69866

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
beamer85 wrote:

Hey, does anyone know how to receive e-mails notifying you of post replies? Evidently, I didn't set up something right...

When you post a message or reply, look at the bottom of the window under image / files to attach boxes. There is a subscribe "Check this box to have yourself notified.......",just above the submit/preview/cancel buttons. (It's not there on the "edit" button, just new posts and replies.) ;)

For winter projects I have the interior of my GT-150 to tackle, and maybe some minor "tweaks" to the motor set-up to try to tame some of the chine walk. The plan is to spend the majority of the next boating season on the water, instead of in the garage working on a project! :P

Mark

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69870

Beamer85, I recognized the Glastron bow as Split did. If the floor and transom are OK, that looks like an easy project.

I hope you plan to put the gold Mylar back into the area around the Glastron logo. That gives it a great look. I'm not sure how they installed it but it doesn't look like they glued it down on mine. The original (from the scraps under the metal trim) looks paper backed and was held in place only by the trim. Not very stable and why very few survived. I plan to adhere mine to the hull and probably apply it similar to wallpaper. I'll some experimenting long before that however.

My winter boat projects are limited due to an unheated work space, but I do have a few things to acquire yet for the Glastron and some things to (like re-chroming) that can be done in cold weather. I will at least get the kitchen remodel finished in my house (finally) and maybe start on nuking and rebuilding a bathroom or a couple of smaller tasks.

BTW, for all you Red Sox and Mets fans, pitcher and catchers report in 145 days.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69876

Ahh found it, I'll Check the box, thanks. As fas as chrome goes, very expensive. I have a local powder coating shop that can do almost any shade and texture for a tenth of what it cost to re-chrome. If there's anyone that can recommend a good re-chroming outfit somewhere, let me know. Thanks.

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69878

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I Hope to finish this Utility Racer this winter... Engines done, most woodwork is done.. Just have to get the thing all Pollyed and Paited.. :-)

I also hope to get this Scott 60 Powerhead and drive unit cleaned up and running so I can work on the boat in the spring.. :-) The powerhead is very stuck.. :-(
Attachments:

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69881

Not much woodwork or glasswork on the radar for this winter. Looks like it's going to be mostly motor work.
On the docket...
1953 Johnson 25 - stuck and will need rebuild.
1952 Johnson 10 - stuck and will need rebuild.
1986 Johnson 25 - low compression due to overheating.
1956 Johnson 5.5 - knocking rod, due for rebuild.
1955 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5 - combining two parts motors into one.
1956 Evinrude Fastwin 15 - combining two parts motors into one. One of the motors was the motor I grew up with that my Dad sold in the early 1990s. I got it back this summer, a little worse for wear.
1960 Evinrude 18 - tired, needs rebuild.

Of course, the wood/glass work issue could change if I stumble into the right project... ;-)

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69898

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
All my stuff works, so I found a "front porch project"..(no other room left!) Minimost.
Attachments:

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69905

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
My winter project just followed me home today. I believe it is a 1966 Shell lake Sunliner. Deep V. Johnson golden meteor 100 hp. I'll post separately.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69959

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
My project starts in about two weeeks. Can't get her in the garage on the trailer so she's going to get placed in a cradle on casters and shoved in the building bow first. Hot to get started!
JAG
Attachments:

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69971

This and the 59 Playmaster.
Attachments:

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:Share your winter project.(s) 12 years 1 week ago #69992

My winter project got it last week.... 1972 Glasspar Citation 175 i/o 120 h.p. merc..... nothing like getting a free boat!
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online