Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Deck Refinish 1959 MFG 16'

Deck Refinish 1959 MFG 16' 12 years 2 weeks ago #69613

can anyone tell me how to achieve the deep , wet , smooth wood finish on the foredeck of my 1959 MFG ? I have removed most of the original finish , and the wood appears to be a light shade / how do I achieve the dark loo ? Also , how many coats of Spar varnish do I need , and how do I make it smooth in the end ? Thanks for your help .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Deck Refinish 1959 MFG 16' 12 years 2 weeks ago #69624

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
You can get the color that you want with a stain- Usually a 'filler stain' is recommended. Use one that is specifically made for boats- A lot of the stains that you'll find out there are not intended for use on projects that will be exposed to the sun.

Getting deep gloss is a combination of many, MANY coats of varnish, sanding, and patience... You also want to use a very high quality spar varnish. My preferred varnish is Epifanes, but there are plenty of good ones out there. You will apply the first few coats thinned pretty heavily, and sand lightly between them. For that really deep, water-like gloss, I built up at LEAST 8-10 coats, often more. I sand in between my coats with 320 or so, to knock the 'bits' that inevitably get in there out... It takes a LONG time, but it's well worth it in the end.

-Andrew

Re: Deck Refinish 1959 MFG 16' 12 years 2 weeks ago #69633

I always make sure that the stripped wood is uniform in color when it is sanded and stripped. IF not, I blaeach for color uniformity and then stain using a filler stain of the color I am wanting to use. Then I think the first coat 50-50 to set the stain, making sure that the filler stain has had a good few days of proper drying to avoid "lifting" the stain and "muddying" it. Then the second coat I thin about 30 percent. Then third coat I use the varnish full strength. After this coat, I sand lightly with 320. As you build coats, you want to sand between each coat. It just gets better and better after each coat....And addicting!

Re:Deck Refinish 1959 MFG 16' 12 years 2 weeks ago #69634

Yep, what he said. Took the words right out of my mouth!

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online