Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat?

Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 2 weeks ago #69557

• Bakes
  • Bakes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, I'm not entirely certain as to the "why", but I've just acquired a Water Wasp mini boat. Evidently produced with love (?) for two years, 1969 - 1970 in Savage Minnesota. That's the extent of what I know about this floating fiberglass high performance turd.

Now - what to do with it. I may be suffering from delusions of grandeur thinking that Dad and I are going to do a restoration of sorts on this old seafaring girl (rather, smooth-as-glass water or it'll get swamped, seafaring girl). I mean c'mon, it's 8 feet long and looks pretty simple. How hard could a resto on an obsolete boat manufactured for only two years over forty years ago be? Right? Right?!! (Why am I hearing crickets?)

So, for now, I'm looking for any information whatsoever on this little barnacle-free-beauty. Any information! I've scoured the web (ok I've spent some considerable time looking, perhaps 'scouring' is too strong a word) and can find very little. A for sale ad out of Cocoa Florida which didn't include a photo, and a thread on another forum that some guy named Hydro claimed to have one in his younger years with a 20-horse that could pull a skier (huh?). That's it. Any other searches for "water wasp" shows a small six-legged black and yellow insect with the same attitude as my ex-wife.

So now what do I do? I have to figure out some controls, an engine (4-stroke 9.9?), fuel tank, and electricals. To make this a bit more challenging, it doesn't appear that you can access the inner hull. So now I have visions of a sawzall and a six foot piano hinge solving that minor concern.

So, fellow boaters who may have the same delusions that I have - unlimited funds, unlimited spare time, and a cooperative bride that fully understands, supports, and embraces these wild nautical impulses - I'm looking for some insight. Anything! Tell me about this boat. Talk to me about the process. Talk to me about setting the hull out next to the garbage toter next Tuesday morning and coming back to my senses.

Thanks in advance, gents.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 2 weeks ago #69558

• Bakes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Image search on Google:
Attachments:

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 2 weeks ago #69560

• Bakes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Getting accustomed to image sizing parameters. Trying again.

Also, how does one 'delete' a reply? I can edit, but can't delete.

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 2 weeks ago #69564

If I screw up I edit it into a new reply. I've never heard of one of these boats myself and could find nothing about it on a quick search but maybe a few pics will restore somebody's memory. I bet a pile of quarters if you tire of the project you could find more than a few here who would do her up.

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 2 weeks ago #69566

There has been mention of that boat here on this forum. I do know there is a fellow in Prior Lake that has a WATER WASP. Of course I cant remember his full name first name is Richard. I will try and find out more.
Maybe someone that knows how to search the archives can find these post.

D

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 2 weeks ago #69573

im not sure if this is a water wasp or a mini mite,but i hope it helps
www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/the-70-s-disco-fiber/help-id-this-full-size-mini-boat#19815

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 2 weeks ago #69608

• Bakes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Herters and John, any insight greatly appreciated. I resized my image so maybe now it'll upload.

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 2 weeks ago #69655

• Bakes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Link to the set: Water Wasp

So I couldn't resize. Gonna have to do some research on this. In the meantime, link to my Flickr account.

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 1 week ago #69659

I don't see a link, Let me see if mine will post. I'm Evilwickedmeanandnasty.
www.flickr.com/photos/37041470@N04/
Yes it works, go to your photostream and highlight and copy the addy and just post it. Photobucket works well too, I cancelled my photobucket account because of pop-ups. Any phot sharing site should work. I've neglected my flikr account. I need to get back into it.

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 1 week ago #69661

• Bakes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Click on the words "Water Wasp" - it works.

or click here:

www.flickr.com/photos/got2fly/sets/72157631610801246/

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 1 week ago #69672

Attachments:

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 1 week ago #69682

I must be colorblind, I don't see a difference in the color. Cool little boat. Never saw one. I bet it would be fun. Nice photostream. Your a very good photographer. :lol:

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 1 week ago #69716

I heard that herters59 mentioned me in regards to the query about the WaterWasp. I have one, and bought it used about 1970. The label was damaged that rated it at 10 HP MAX, and I put an old green Johnson 25 on it. Coming off a wake it would stand on the prop and plane out fast. It would do 32 MPH but you really had to watch the waves so that you didn't catch a front corner and dive in. I had a lot of fun with it but now it has been hanging in the rafters of my garage for decades.

Rich

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 1 week ago #69719

• Bakes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
WW, I sent you a private message.
THANK you for signing on.
The first thing I want to ask is if you can send me a photo of your avatar? I'd like to get this to a graphics guy to have a couple of those stickers made.

Secondly, any and all insight regarding this little boat would be very cool.

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 1 week ago #69780

I'll try to find the original that is not down sized and send it to you. It may take a couple days.

This boat was evidently meant for children because 10 HP is way under powered, or the Co. wanted to avoid law suits. My old green Johnson 25(vintage about 1953)seamed about right. For reliability purposes I bought a new Evenrude 25 (in the early '70s) that had a smaller diameter prop and did not have the torque of the old Johnson. I would have to lean over the front to get it to plane. In about '77 the new Evenrude was stolen and I resurrected the Johnson, and the boat was more fun again.

Re:Have you heard of Water Wasp mini boat? 12 years 1 week ago #69877

• Bakes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's something I ran across....
You can see it on my Flickr set.

www.flickr.com/photos/got2fly...7631610801246/

My Wasp does not have any chines! (Or would they be called stabilizers?) The one I stumbled across somewhere yesterday (Craigslist, I think) has 4 very aggressive chines (stabilizers) in the hull. I would think this would enhance handling. What I find a bit curious is that the Wasp with the chines has a much earlier HIN than my Wasp. This obviously implies that it was an earlier production.

WHY would they get rid of the chines (stabilizers) and go to a smooth hull? I've been thinking about adding chines to the hull anyway, but this sort of reinforces my thoughts. Or at least it did, the fact that they got rid of them on later productions is causing me to second guess.

Thoughts?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online