Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tilt Trailer. Oppinions, Praise, Hateful Messages?

Tilt Trailer. Oppinions, Praise, Hateful Messages? 12 years 3 weeks ago #69142

So I was wondering what the almighty forum dwellers believe about tilting launch trailers. I have never used the tilt function of a trailer and in my 4 year career as a commercial crab fisherman and load-master of the vessel, I have heard MANY MANY different things surrounding the device. I will be moving one of my heavier 16' boats (fiberglass over wood) to a new slipway and launching it. But the slipway is of an older 8x8 lumber construction and has broken free from the sea floor at the end, thus it is now more of a floating aggravation then a proper slipway. So at the end of this floating monstrosity I'll be left with no other option but to use the tilt feature of my roller bunk trailer. I'm worried about this as I have never had to use this feature or even seen it used.(only in videos).

So I guess this is a 2 part post. 1) Anybody with any opinions on tilt trailers, swear by them or swear at them, this is the place to lay down that opinion. (I've never understood the purpose. this broken slipway is the only time I've ever had to use this feature.)
And 2) Does anybody with experience using these care to lend a hand to a needy boater? Any advice on on/offloading? (keeping in mind that the trailer has rollers)

Thanks in advance.
Sean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Tilt Trailer. Oppinions, Praise, Hateful Messages? 12 years 3 weeks ago #69148

My Tee Nee is of the tilt design and I can get my boat on the trailer from lying on the ground with ease. In fact if I put my boat trailer on the back of my ATV and leave it in neutral and hook the boat up and winch, the boat will come onto the trailer without being drug on the ground. The ATV and trailer move backwards. My fixed ,non-tilt trailer can't do that.

Re:Tilt Trailer. Oppinions, Praise, Hateful Messages? 12 years 3 weeks ago #69159

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
PORT,, WELCOME, ..I think you sort of answered your own question.
Since the mid 60's,,there is a good supply of town , paved launch
ramps that have a incline slope... late 50's people were still using a grass farm dirt road, or camping site..
. Should not have the vehicle tires in the water, so if the
land is shallow, then one has to use the TILT pin feature of the trailer to rock the boat off . IMO . Glad to have it if needed.
Some trailers over years have more wobble over years at the pivot point,, & I have welded a few closed just for hwy strength.

Re:Tilt Trailer. Oppinions, Praise, Hateful Messages? 12 years 3 weeks ago #69209

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I had never used a tilt trailer until this year. I bought an OMC boat and an original trailer. Granted the OMC designed trailer is one crazy, over-engineered monstrosity, but it works well. (after I oiled all the rollers and the winch!) Prior to that I have always floated onto bunker trailers.

I'd let the design and age of the boat dictate the decision. An older, thinner fiberglass, or wood boat, will not like tilt and roll launching. Newer or reinforced designs of fiberglass boats should tolerate the tilt trailers just fine.

Re: Tilt Trailer. Oppinions, Praise, Hateful Messages? 12 years 3 weeks ago #69213

portkirwan,

WELCOME to the forum.

fwiw, i started out with a "break in the middle" trailer 5+ decades ago & liked it. - i suspect that it's what you are used to & nothing more than that.- depending on the configuration of the ramp, you MAY need it.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Tilt Trailer. Oppinions, Praise, Hateful Messages? 12 years 3 weeks ago #69218

Well I have to admit, my trailer IS a tilt trailer but I've never used that function. I just got done restoring it about a month ago or so and I did leave the tilt function there but I haven't had to use it. I'm just now sure how well it will work with an 18' boat, plus the ramps around here are all cement and nicely inclined.

Bob

Re:Tilt Trailer. Oppinions, Praise, Hateful Messages? 12 years 3 weeks ago #69227

Tilt trailers are great if you are using a fairly flat launching ramp, where it is tough to get the boat in the water when the wheels on the truck are already wet. Just did that with a friend's boat (non glassic) this weekend. The trick with older trailers (especially non galvanized) is to make sure the pivot point and the latch are in good operating order. Also, don't pinch the wires for the tail lights (done that).

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT