Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upson Jet Boat

Upson Jet Boat 12 years 3 weeks ago #69112

I am assisting a freind gather information on UPSON JET BOATS. Attached are photos of a boat by Upson and a single sheet flyer.

Any addtional information will be appreciated.

Andreas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Upson Jet Boat 12 years 3 weeks ago #69116

Thanks Andreas for loading these pictures of Frank's boat. Please note that these were supposedly built in Paynesville, Ohio. We have heard that they built up to 50 hulls and only 20 were finished. This boat has the original windshield, but it is not shown in the pictures. Frank is doing a restoration on the boat. Exdited to see his progress. We possibly have uncovered one more survivor of this model.
I would enjoy putting together a list of the companies of early jet boats. Thus far, Buehler Turbocraft was the largest manufacturer at this time in the early 60's. Buehler also sold their jet untis to boat manufactures under the name of "Turbopower Division". Berkeley was just getting started at that time.
I have uncovered the fact that the Dorsett Sea Hawk used the Berkely pump.
Anyone have any information on the Upson Jets, feel free to share! It is a neat hull design with the rounded tumblehome!

Re:Upson Jet Boat 12 years 3 weeks ago #69127

I've seen a couple boats, one a Thunderbird and a Custom Craft Flying Ray that had Jacuzzi Jet-drives. Not a jet-boat manufacturer but The drive systems must have been available to boat makes. BTW, both of those boats had 327 engines. Notice the state ID number on the T-Bird, it's DL-1. ... a governor's boat ?
Attachments:

Re:Upson Jet Boat 12 years 3 weeks ago #69135

That custom Craft has a funky Jacuzzi Jet drive and wild looking exhausts on each side! I have never seen this type of jet drive. Any idea on what year that Custom Craft is? The THunderbird looks to be of 1966 vintage while the CC is most likely early 60's? Correct me if I am wrong. Cool pictures! Is the Custom Craft running?

Re:Upson Jet Boat 12 years 3 weeks ago #69138

The Custom Craft Flying Ray came out in 1964.

This boat could have very well come from the factory with this setup as Hank Canazzi had a "thing" for experimenting with different outdrives.

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:Upson Jet Boat 12 years 3 weeks ago #69139

Growing up and living in the midwest meant that we never had alot of Custom Crafts here in Iowa, go figure! I am surprised at how many boat lines that were carried at the various marina's in the day. The Custom Craft looked to be way ahead of their times. It seems that the marine industry back in that era had a constant thirst for new and innovative designs and power options....

Re:Upson Jet Boat 12 years 2 weeks ago #69354

I got to spend a few moments this evening looking at a 1962 Upson Jet Mariner. From what we little we know about Upson, this could be one of 20 or 50 hulls that they made. This one looks just like Frank's shown in the post above in this thread. I hope to speak to the owner tomorrow as my Buehler JEt 35 was his father's boat. His Upson Jet is powered by the same 327 AMC Gray Marine conversion engine powering my Jet 35 and is original to the Uson Jet boat. It is interesting that Upson has the engine sitting father aft in the boat and not centrally located like the Buehler. The boat has left nhad helm station with a gas pedal on the florr and a gear shift for forward, neutral and reverse also located on the floor.
I will upload pictures tomorrow. It was so cool to see in person. The only drawback to this boat is that the gelcoat on the hull has alot of checking all over. It would be a major undertaking to restore....The interior is in pretty solid shape.
In looking at the fit and finish of a boat 50 years old, it is amazing to see how well it has actually held up. What will the new boats of today look like in 50 years?

Re:Upson Jet Boat 12 years 1 week ago #69685

Hi guys - 72hornet is traveling but asked me if I'd upload these pics. This Upson belongs to original owner of Hornet's Buehler Turbocraft. Hornet went to visit him last week to talk about the Buehler and to take a look at the Upson (which the owner is not yet ready/willing to part with).

Very cool boat that's very well-intact.

Thanks to Hornet for these pics.

Re:Upson Jet Boat 11 years 11 months ago #70472

More Upson Jet pictures:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online