• Page:

TOPIC: Stupid and just sick about it!

Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69077

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Well, got off work a little early to try and take the Clipper out with the wife since it was her day off and it was waayyyy to nice not too. Wanted to check out the new shifter coupling and new solenoid too. Well that was the idea anyway. I opened the shed door (roll up garage door), got everything out of the way and pulled her out, then heard a really loud bang, like when you hit a garage door when it's closed. Apparently in my haste, I did not not notice that it was not open far enough and the bimini top/frame had caught on the bottom rail of the door! It pulled the door and tore the ORIGINAL INTACT canvas at one of the snaps at the windshield, a 6 inch tear at the back bar, bent the main bar back and broke the bottom eye connector at the swivel on the port side. I'm just absolutely sick!!!!!!!!!!!!! :S

I suppose I could get the eye welded, or use JB weld and bend the bar back straight. The canvas could be sewn with a patch I suppose but it would look like just that, a patch. the problem is if I get it replaced I have to replace the whole back section from bimini to the engine cover, plus new side curtains with clear vinyl (i think it's vinyl) so it will all match.

I don;t have any pictures of it since I put it all back in the shed and had to get out of there, I couldn't look at it anymore. If I can bring myself to look at it I'll try and take some pics tomorrow.

Crying in a corner
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69078

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
bob, i sure am sorry to hear about what happened, things like that do happen and you will have her looking great in no time. but it still a shame that had to happen. sorry again. frog

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69083

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Bob, I really feel bad for you. I know how that feels cause I've been there before. I know your thinking what if I'd of seen that or done this. It wouldn't matter cause stuff happens.Maybe the other day if I'd shut down my engine in time, "maybe" it wouldn't have messed up. I just had to figure out something else and I know you will too. jim

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69085

I guess we are all entitled to make a stupid mistake. I am very sorry and offer my shoulder to cry on. Get it out and over with so you can get back into restoration. :ohmy:

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69086

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Ouch!!
I feel for ya Bob.
Goofy little things happen, that is what curse words are for. :(
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69089

Well Bob, I feel sorry for you. I know you really care about your boat and take great pride in it. Stuff happens to boats and you just kinda have to move on and fix it. At least it is something that is fixable and won't stop you from getting out on the water. Good luck and post some pics of it out on the water. Skip.

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69092

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry to read about this Bob. I'm going through a stupid phase currently. Hope to find out how stupid by tomorrow.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69101

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I know it is little consolation Bob, but I too know that feeling all to well. We all pull some "bonehead" stunts now and then, we're human. (You should have seen my double garage door the day I backed the Starflite into it with the motor tilted up! What the heck was I thinking?)

Sometimes it helps to try and make a positive out of the negative. Use it as a learning experience to (hopefully) never do that again. ;)

Mark

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69103

Well, once it is fixed don't do it again.
I have now twice moved my boat around in my driveway, but forgot to raise the engine.
(My driveway is steep and flattens out abruptly)
Twice I have driven the skeg of my motor into the blacktop.
Luckily I didn't rip the transom off the boat. But to do it twice??

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69108

bob,im sorry to hear that,take it from the king of stupid things,you will get it fixed,and if i know you it will be great,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69111

Bob,

Look at is as a challenge! You can fix it!

Maybe you can put the patch on from the bottom side so it's not noticeable?

Google "fabric mender".

Hello, World!!

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69124

Bob, Join the club!!! When some wood working bar clamps that I had "Stupidly" hung above the Blue Flamingo fell onto her and damaged my Month Old Paint job, I felt that same Sick Feeling you are feeling. Good news is...Everything can be fixed and when it is, with time, that sick feeling goes away and you will forgive yourself. Hang in there buddy, we are ALL HUMAN!!!!

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69125

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey bud. I feel for you big time but as every here has already said, it can be fixed. Repeat, it can be fixed. Even in light of the fact that it is "original intact", stuff like this makes for great war stories. Good luck!!
shipster

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69126

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wow- I don't know what to say- I've NEVER done anything to harm one of MY beauties... Ever... :)

I can tell you where every nick, ding, and scratch is on my boats- and what hair brained stupid thing I was doing at the time that caused it. Most people would never see them, but to me each little 'flaw' like that stands out like a sore thumb.

But, I suppose they all just give them character... They are boats, after all, meant to be used- not something to hang on a wall and look at.

-Andrew

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69178

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well thank you everyone I truly appreciate it. It's always good to know your in good company no matter what it is! LOL Tried to take her out today, after my "chores" were done. Grabbed the Admiral, went to the ramp, launched and quickly found that it would only go into reverse! Thought the coupler screwed up again. Got her back out and home, wife discussed at this point, and did some troubleshooting.

Well stupid move again to top the week off! I've been repainting the Fat Fifty cover and wanted it to dry for a few more days before putting bling back on and on the boat, so............ Took the backpart of the lower cover housing from the '61 75hp and figured I could use that cover vice going out with no cover on her. Well the front wouldn't lock sine the little stud that sticks inside to lock to isn't there on the '59 front piece, no biggie though figured it would sir fine anyway. Well after getting back and looking close, after removing the lower unit, I discovered the '61 back lower piece I put on bulges, (concave vice convex) compared to the '59 and stops the shift lever from going into forward gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dumb ass, should have paid attention when I was putting it on in the first place. :S

You can change these covers around BUT you have to use the FRONT and BACK lower pan for the cover to work. The hole patterns are the same but they're shaped different. Of course there was no time to do both and figured I could get away with it......WRONG!!!!

Not totally bad I guess, did find a couple of issues that I posted the drive shaft question on the JEGO forum.

Thanks again everyone from the now "King of Stupid" LOL

Ken, thanks for the idea, I'm going to go by Wallyworld and see if they have any.

Bob

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69208

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Wow. Sorry to hear about that happening. However, been there. Done that. (that kind of thing anyway) Many times. It's just a necessary hazard of using cool old stuff. Sometimes it takes a hit. Remember how many hours of fun you have out there. "Get back in the horse" Go to the water. It is super tough though when something original gets hurt.

Re:Stupid and just sick about it! 12 years 3 weeks ago #69217

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Jepstr, thanks. I decided to just stay away form the boat today.. The boss wants to sell her Pontiac Torrent so I did a complete detailing in prep for the craigslist ad. If it's nice enough this week I may try again. Still pretty decent temp wise. Should have the Bling back on the Fat Fifty cover so shouldn't be any issues now!!!!! I'll post pics in the JEGO forum once it's back together.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online