Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Nylox spatter paint?

Nylox spatter paint? 12 years 4 weeks ago #68810

• g3too
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm working on a 1960ish 14' Nylox runabout. It looks like the interior has been painted, maybe twice. An ad scanned on Research section of this site (thanks for that!) says spatter but doesn't say colors. Anyone know what they used? Any suggestions on the most appropriate of today's materials?
Thanks,
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Nylox spatter paint? 12 years 4 weeks ago #68817

Somebody posted a link for splatter paint some months back. I'd like to get some for my Winner. I has baby puke pink paint on the inside.
Attachments:

Re:Nylox spatter paint? 12 years 3 weeks ago #68828

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The 'spatter paint' finish that was used commonly is called Zolatone. The company is still around-

www.zolatone.com/home/

and makes many of the same products that they did then. You can apply it with the proper spray equipment.

I approximated the finish in my boat by using three colors of enamel paint, and will be doing the same thing in my NEXT restoration in the very near future, hopefully this week!!

-Andrew

Re:Nylox spatter paint? 12 years 3 weeks ago #68870

I've had some experience with spatter paint in the refrigeration trade and when I built dental offices. It's also used on the inside of auto trunks and truck beds. No special equipment is needed. Depending on how much you're going to spray, a 3gal. pot should be plenty. about 60 psi is common, but, you can test it on some scrap to check the pattern.
When I sprayed the dental office, I had to use a 7 gal. pot with a air mixer. Even though I refilled and set the 3gal. pot at 60 psi., the pattern was completely different. I'd check with Zolatone and see if you need a special sprayer. I don't think so. It's fun to work with, too.

Re:Nylox spatter paint? 12 years 3 weeks ago #68942

• g3too
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks guys, not much information on line for these boats. I was hoping somebody would know the orig color. Duplicolor makes a spatter trunk paint too. I'm thinking about their grey/aqua combo since it is going to be aquatic. Who would know if it's wrong?

Bob

Re:Nylox spatter paint? 12 years 2 weeks ago #69496

• g3too
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I believe I have my answer. Light grey base with light brown and white flecks. Poked around the boat and found some that escaped the repaints.

Re:Nylox spatter paint? 12 years 2 weeks ago #69539

g3too:

Here is a link for you on some of the "Zolatone" Colors for our boats:

www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/zolatone20.aspx?gclid=CLWZ6qzHyrICFYTd4AodGQMAaQ

Also, here is a picture of our G-3 with the Silver Gray Color right after it was done.
Attachments:

Re:Nylox spatter paint? 12 years 2 weeks ago #69540

This is a photo of the area under the splashwell on our 1960 Glasspar Sefair Sedan that we are refurbishing right now. This color from "Zolatone" is the MEDUSA GRAY. It has more black "specks"
than the silver gray and has a slight brown tint.

Hope these photos help you Sir! ;)
Attachments:

Re: Nylox spatter paint? 12 years 2 weeks ago #69609

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I would suggest the exterior color and two or at least one more color. Example- if it is red, use red, grey, and black. No need for specialty paint unless you really want it. Just mix and spray from a hvlp gun at super low pressure. It works great! Did my'60 glastron this way.

Re: Nylox spatter paint? 12 years 1 week ago #69675

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
After painting, do you need to seal it with a clear coat? I was told that this was only used for interiors, like car trunks, and it will wear off when walked on or tank movement. Any experience with Duplicolor?

Re: Nylox spatter paint? 12 years 1 week ago #69721

StevieB wrote:

After painting, do you need to seal it with a clear coat? I was told that this was only used for interiors, like car trunks, and it will wear off when walked on or tank movement. Any experience with Duplicolor?

Stevie:

Yes, we did use a sealer on our boats to protect the "Zolatone" but I don't think it is required.

"Zolatone" has been in business for over sixty (60) years! They supplied all the "spatter" coatings for the Glasspar Boats from about 1959 to 1968. Zolatone is TOUGH! The coatings on both our 1960 Glasspar G-3 and our more recent 1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan have been on their for over fifty (50) years! While the floors are worn down, the Zolatone has held up extremely well.

Re: Nylox spatter paint? 12 years 1 week ago #69804

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It is a good idea. I know I spilled some gas and it too the paint off of the interior of my boat. The paint was 9 mo. old too. Automotive clear will solve that.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online