• Page:

TOPIC: knee brace on transom

knee brace on transom 12 years 1 month ago #68651

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
AS I am getting ready to start doing some fiberglassing in the transom, I am wondering about connecting the stringers back to the transom. They had been cut out to remove the old one and now a gap exists between the FG stringers and the transom. I could do it with glass, but there won't be much strength to that. I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to add a couple of small knee braces between the stringers and the transom. This was not part of the original structure, but might add a little strength. I have plenty of scrap 3/4 marine plywood to make them with. The new transom is epoxied to the original exterior FG and fiberglassed to the hull along the sides and bottom. Is this overkill or a good idea?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re: knee brace on transom 12 years 1 month ago #68653

Sure can't hurt. I added some "extras" when I redid both of my Starcrafts, tying the transom into the framework better than original.

Re:knee brace on transom 12 years 1 month ago #68661

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Unless you are doing a total correct restoration striving for originality, any extra strength is always good.

Re:knee brace on transom 12 years 1 month ago #68665

todd i agree with the others ,in my world there is no such thing as overbuilt,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:knee brace on transom 12 years 1 month ago #68673

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm doing as complete a restoration as I can. However, I did use marine plywood and cover it with epoxy for the transom, which was an upgrade from the uncoated exterior plywood that was used originally. The braces would be under the splashwell and behind the rear seat, so they would not normally be visible. Some of the construction techniques on these old boats were a little suspect and strengthening them is not a bad thing, IMNSHO. I'm leaning towards it, but didn't want to waste mt time if it wasn't going to do much.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:knee brace on transom 12 years 1 month ago #68679

I'd do it now and not be sorry I didn't later. I think it is a good idea. :)

Re:knee brace on transom 12 years 4 weeks ago #68680

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Many older boats do have a knee brace. Looking at the design of your boat I'd say it is a good candidate for such a brace. A good share of the glassics use the motor well as a reinforcement of the transom where yours does not. I'd add the knee braces. It can't hurt unless it will make it hard to fit a gas tank or some other equipment you want to keep back there.

Re:knee brace on transom 12 years 4 weeks ago #68690

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
If you plan ahead, and I know you do Todd, you can make the braces dual purpose too! (ie: use them to help hold everything in place as well as strengthening the transom!) (Really I just got lucky and the 12gal tank fits between the outer stringers, which is where the knee braces attach.)
Attachments:

Mark

Re: knee brace on transom 12 years 4 weeks ago #68693

thetudor,

EXCELLENT PLAN, imVho.

fyi, i plan to add three kneeebraces to the transom of the Hollywood runabout/utility that "followed me home" a few days ago.
(the braces will made the transom MUCH stronger & should have been (imVho) part of the original construction as this hull was designed for the TOUGH/HARD service in the south TX salt.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle