• Page:

TOPIC: 1962 Glasspar Balboa 125

1962 Glasspar Balboa 125 12 years 1 month ago #68414

• jmo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Gang,
I have in my garage a 1962 Balboa 125. Its in excellent condition (1 owner) and all original, though I guess to be fair there wasn’t much on these little skiffs to begin with. But the mahogany trim, seats, oars and hardware are in amazing shape for being nearly 50 years old!

Its going to be a fun little project for my son and I we are going to strip and varnish the trim, the gelcoat is in great shape and will look even better when its buffed out.

My main question(s) for you all is what to do in the interior. It looks like it may have been painted once or twice and is flaking off and revealing some of the fiberglass.

I’d like to strip this paint off. What is the best way to do this? I have a power washer but I’m afraid it could force water into unwanted areas? once the paint is stripped would it be over kill to apply another layer or 2 of glass?

The only other area of concern is the top of the transom. I took the trim off only to reveal that it was sitting on top of bare wood. While the plywood is in great shape I’d like to keep it that way; should I glass the top of the transom is there a marine product that would be better?

Thanks all in advance. I realize the balboa isn’t going to light the water on fire but I have a feeling it's going to be a "gateway" boat. I’m a fan of the Delmar and Seafair ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1962 Glasspar Balboa 125 12 years 1 month ago #68427

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome jmo, glad to have you join us. We've had some members have good success with CitriStrip, available at your local HD, Lowes, Menards, or whatever. It comes in an orange jug, and doesn't seem to harm the fiberglass if removed in 30 min or so....

I used thinned resin on top of my transom, before installing the "cap". (Better safe than sorry.) 3M's 5200 would probably work too, but others may have better ideas? Almost anything you can do to help seal the wood is a good idea IMHO.

Post some pics of the Balboa when you get a chance, sounds like an interesting project. Good on ya for getting the son involved, sounds like a great plan. ;)

Mark

Re:1962 Glasspar Balboa 125 12 years 1 month ago #68590

• jmo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks! Ill give the citra strip/Power washer a go this weekend and post some pics

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online