• Page:

TOPIC: Installed the transom on the Glastron

Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68301

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Finally after enough kibitzing, I epoxied the new transom on the Glastron. Other than mixing WAY too much epoxy, it went well. The long clamps are 8" Harbor Freight woodworking clamps (on sale for $5.99) with 1x4 or 1x6 extensions mounted vertically and screwed on either side. In addition, the drain hole had been drilled and a bolt with fender washers screwed through that. I'll leave it overnight and see how it looks in the morning
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68303

Looks ok from here. I like your clamp idea. I will have to give it a try on the next transom I do. At least you didnt mix not enough epoxy. I allways end up with too much left over it seems also. Keep up the great work and keep us posted. Skip.

Re:Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68305

I've GOT AN 88' Searay V-Hull 19' THAT HAS A BAD transom, I've got one of those difficult to get too where I've got two foamed in fiberglass boxes that makes it impossible to get to without pulling the hull. I'm a new boat owner and am very new at this so I'm looking for all the help I can get.
I see from your pic that you have the entire back and all pulled off, is this correct?
Looking forward to seeing you end result posted here as well.

Thanks

Randy

Re:Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68309

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Randy, I had to remove the deck to get at the transom. That was the only way. Considering that yours is an 88, can you take the cap off the transom and access it that way? Maybe your best option is to use a pourable epoxy system for the repair. Taking the deck off is a pain in the butt and may be more difficult on a newer boat. There are pics of various stages of my project under 59 Glastron Seaflite in Member Projects.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68311

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Looks great from where I'm sitting :)

Isn't it a great feeling to start putting things back in? Beats demolition for sure.

It's better to have too much epoxy mixed than not enough... There is nothing like scrambling in messy gloves to mix up a new batch of epoxy in time to get a job done! I've done it more than once. What I usually do is have some pre-measured and standing by, so all I have to do is dump and run... On REALLY big jobs, like glassing a floor, I will sometimes call an 'assistant' to help my by mixing up pre-measured batches as I go.

I also have smaller projects standing by, so if I should have some leftover resin, I can work on them really quickly so I minimize the resin wastage... I'm cheap, so I don't like to throw away resin!

-Andrew

Re:Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68312

Look'in good to me. And Redeye can you start a new post with pics so we don't get mixed up on boats? I'd love to see your boat. All of my boats have been 1960 and older. Just like me. :woohoo: Transoms and bad stringers seem to be the biggest problem areas. :huh:

Re:Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68340

I HAVE BEEN THNKING ABOUT THAT SEACAST BUT NOT SURE ITS GOOD FOR LARGER BOATS PLUS I AM GOING TO KEEP IT AWHILE I CURRENTLY HAVE A 135HP BUT WANNA PUT A 150 200 HP SO I AM GOINGTO HAVE TO DO IT THE PROFF. WAY. PLUS FACTORE IN COST VERSES OF THE SEACAST. SEACAST ALSO SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE

Re:Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68342

AND YES I;L GET SOME PICS OF HER

Re:Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68350

i've done a lot of studying on this . and read and thought and from the pictures from the actual manf. that it is good if you do it right pouring that is. i haven't actually poured one, but looking to remove the deck cutting forming bending folding clamping then replacing , cleaning out the void and pouring seems my way anyway to go. strength shouldn't be a worry maybe the rest of the boat breaking around the transom um.......but there are plenty of more educated captains that knows. from one newbie to another don't get in over your head and get discouraged ....... and if you don't worry your at the right place to get the help.

Re:Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68370

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
A friend of mine has a 22' Pearson prototype cruiser from the 1970s. He replaced the transom using Nida Bond a couple of years ago and is very happy with the outcome. He has a 150hp Yamaha hanging on it. There were major logistical problems in getting in to replace it with wood.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68376

looking good todd,im jealous,i havent got much done yet,as you know,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68383

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Lookin' good Todd, nice progress.

Mark

Re:Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68387

I made a set of these clamps for installing transoms. Pic shows all thread. I have since swithced to bolts as indicated by drawings and explanations below Clamps are 5ft long.

Here's how I made em in case anyone's interested...

Re:Installed the transom on the Glastron 12 years 1 month ago #68399

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice job on those clamps. Here's a photo of mine. Much more crude, but seemed to do the job.

And one of the transom with the fin pieces installed and the gaps partially filled.
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT