Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Helping my father sell his boat

Helping my father sell his boat 12 years 1 month ago #67672

My father is 97 years old. 3 years ago, he purchased a 1959 Dorsett Mobile Craft 17 feet (At least I think thats what it is by looking at pictures on this site). The gentleman selling it was 86, and thought he was too old to go out, so a 95 year old man bought it. It wasn`t dad`s best decision, but it was a boat he would have loved to have had in his youth when he was raising 7 kids and couldn`t afford more than a 12 foot aluminum boat. First, he replaced the rusted mercury motor with a 50 HP Evenrude (reconditioned, 3500 dollars), and had the marina go through all the steering wheel/ linkage, electric wiring for the GPS pilot unit, instruments, fish finder, downriger, 2 way ship to shore radio, purchased an electric winch, etc - so that he has about 7,000 dollars into the boat. The problem: it is just too heavy and too much to handle for him. Where is the best place to advertise a boat such as this? Marinas rightfully are not going to be interested in a boat this old. He will certainly not regain the money he has in it, but I am trying to help him sell it so that he can get a simpler smaller boat he can handle. He is just not able to load this boat back onto the trailor on his own, and he can`t handle the boat safely.
Thank you for any suggestions you may have

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Helping my father sell his boat 12 years 1 month ago #67678

blue moon,im sorry that your dad cant use his boat.
you can advertise his boat right here,in the "glassifieds",its free to do so,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Helping my father sell his boat 12 years 1 month ago #67693

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The fact that your dad could even think about getting another boat at 97 is incredible!! Most would have a hard time getting into a tub. My hat is off to your dad. He has my best wishes and godspeed on selling this one and getting him back out on the water. jim

Re: Helping my father sell his boat 12 years 1 month ago #67696

bluemoon,

WELCOME to the forum, - good luck on selling your father's boat.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Helping my father sell his boat 12 years 1 month ago #67720

Re:Helping my father sell his boat 12 years 1 month ago #67721

Re:Helping my father sell his boat 12 years 1 month ago #67723

Re:Helping my father sell his boat 12 years 1 month ago #67725

97! He can't handle the boat on his own? I'll be lucky if I'm around at 97 let alone handle a boat. God bless him. Check your local listings for a Boat recycler. Also craigs list is a good option. Also ebay, but, I'm not sure if there is a charge. If the boat is in really good shape, it might bring a good amount from someone who is looking for a classic and does't have the time to fix it up.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online