Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Marlin Pescadero(?) Beginner at restoring

1960 Marlin Pescadero(?) Beginner at restoring 12 years 1 month ago #67569

Greetings,

New guy to the forum, really excited that I acquired this boat for free, but no idea where to jump first to begin restoring it. I'm pretty handy but just don't know how best to use my time. The guy I got it from said the 75 hp Evinrude turned over but just coughed and sputtered a little, he hadn't got any farther than that. I looked up the serial number and the engine is dated 1960.

What's the best plan of attack? The boat floor? (spongy, obviously rotten) engine? Is it worth it?

Thanks for any pointers!!

Aaron
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1960 Marlin Pescadero(?) Beginner at restoring 12 years 1 month ago #67570

ajarvi,

FIRST, WELCOME to the forum.

IF it was me, i'd aquire a copy of RUNABOUT RENOVATION by Jim Anderson, published by International Marine Books of Camden, ME & throughly digest it, as opposed to just reading it.

AFTER you do that, you'll know enough about the subject to consult the EXPERTS (of which there are MANY) here on FG, for the numerous things that Anderson's book does NOT cover.

just my opinion.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1960 Marlin Pescadero(?) Beginner at restoring 12 years 1 month ago #67572

Aaron,

I think that what you actually have is a 1960 Wizard Bolero 15 - and someone put a Marlin badge on the dash. Just below the ends of the windshield, there is an aluminum casting where the rub rail makes a downward jog. In the center of the casting is round medallion. Is thre a "W" on the medallion?

Bruce
Attachments:

Re:1960 Marlin Pescadero(?) Beginner at restoring 12 years 1 month ago #67573

Ajarvi, welcome aboard. Nice to see someone who is also interested in restoring classic boats. The real question is, is it worth it to you. It's really a nice boat. Where would I start? First remove the engine to a stand and set it aside. Remove the top, if you already haven't, and set the boat on a stand. You will be able to work on the trailer, like cleaning and repainting. If the underside of the boat needs work, that would be a good place to start. If not the upper deck sounds like it needs to be redone. That's not easy. It takes alot of scribe work for that. Once that's done, the rest is cosmetic. Paint, controls, seats, whatever. After that, boat goes on trailer, fix up the outboard, put motor back on boat, pack up the family for a day motor boating and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Don't forget the beer.

Re:1960 Marlin Pescadero(?) Beginner at restoring 12 years 1 month ago #67593

• Larry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I agree with Bruce, you have a Wizard. Can't quite tell the model from your photos. They are great boats

Here is a WIZARD BOLERO that we restored last year.

Larry
Vintage Boatworks

Attachments:

Re:1960 Marlin Pescadero(?) Beginner at restoring 12 years 1 month ago #67594

In December 1959, Wizard had been taken over by Winner Boats and marketed for 1960 as Wizard-Winner Boats. The 17' 1960 Wizard-Winner Marlin came in a variety of styles, one of which was the Pescador. So I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be a Marlin badge on the dash if the boat is a 17 foot boat. If it's a 15' boat, it's likely a Bolero. See the 1960 brochure images below and the link to the Wizard page in the Library section:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Wizard_%28California%29

Re: 1960 Marlin Pescadero(?) Beginner at restoring 12 years 1 month ago #67619

Thank you satx!

I will do exactly that. I love approaching things from a studied perspective, and it's exactly why I came to this forum for input! I also like that the book is not a spendy one as some niche references are.

Re:1960 Marlin Pescadero(?) Beginner at restoring 12 years 1 month ago #67620

Bruce,

I am positive there were medallions at one point, unfortunately those are long gone. The aluminum castings are in great condition though as is alot of the other trim work. Thank you for the info! The Marlin badge threw me.

Thanks!

Re:1960 Marlin Pescadero(?) Beginner at restoring 12 years 1 month ago #67622

Craig,

Thanks! The idea of bringing a classic back to life for my future family, (just got married in October) is much more exciting for me than just snappin up a Bayliner.

Thanks very much for the input! When I get closer to project starting time this October I'll have better questions to ask.

Re:1960 Marlin Pescadero(?) Beginner at restoring 12 years 1 month ago #67623

Larry,

Thanks for the info! Is there a link to a larger set of pictures of that boat? Looks stunning but is a pretty small picture.

Re:1960 Marlin Pescadero(?) Beginner at restoring 12 years 1 month ago #67624

Craig,

Thank you! It's definitely worth it for sentimental value. I'm the kind who would care alot more for a boat that I brought back to life than just throwin down 10k for a newish Bayliner.

..and thanks for the pointers! That's exactly what I was looking for, an order of operations sort of thing.

Re: 1960 Marlin Pescadero(?) Beginner at restoring 12 years 1 month ago #67626

ajarvi,

i have had TWO copies.- i wore the first one out!

my other "boat bible" is CHEAP OUTBOARDS by Max E. Wawrzyniak III.- my favorite OBs are the BIG TWIN motors by Johnson, Evinrude, Brooklure, Goodyear, Gale & Sea King.
(IF an OB needs more complicated repair than is contained in that book, it's too much work for me, imVho.)

fwiw, IF i was you, i would also buy, IF you want to do MORE COMPLICATED repairs, an appropriate SELOC manual for your outboard.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle