Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please

need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #67388

hi as i posted some time ago we bought a very cool little boat i finally got it current on dmv, got are new tags did some more clean up and took it to a small trout lake close to us my thought was if it stops running the lake was small and i could row to the dock LOL ,,, well it did great so i thought ,we had fun and got some looks it was a short float but very cool ,so now here is were we are at we went out again yesterday for a longer float and just kinda trolled around up and down the lake as we got lower on fuel we noticed that she started to make more smoke and when we started to head in to the dock it kinda got what i think is bad to the point it was rolling out from the out board cover some i did feel the cover and case to see if it was really hot or over heating and it seemed ok and not burning ,so i,m asking if get to the bottom of your gas can will give that more oil burning smoke or should i look into to it more also should this motor have a pee hole for water so u can see if its pumping throw the motor to cool it as we have not seen that and some else said this motor pumps it throw the muffler port ? not sure about that ,and last when we pulled it out of the water i did see in the lower port next to the prop it seemed kinda milk shaky , kinda like on a car motor oil cap when u have a head gasket prop ,, any advice would be great as i know nota about this motor and have not had much luck online thanxs again dave and crystal ,,,,,, also we maybe looking to sell the motor as we would like i think a newer one that we can feel safe in just a thought ,,,,,

the motor is a Evinrude 50hp starflite ,and yes it still starts and runs it did not stop running or make a funny noises ,just not sure if its pumping water and should have made as much smoke as it did ?????????
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #67393

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

so i,m asking if get to the bottom of your gas can will give that more oil burning smoke

I'll let the guys/gals more familiar with that motor answer the questions specific to the Starflite, but I can say this with some confidence I think. If you are mixing your gas and oil well, there shouldn't be any difference between the top and the bottom of the tank. If I have a tank that's been mixed up for a few weeks and set around, I usually rock the tank back and forth 8 to 10 times before starting the motor to make sure it hasn't separated. (Maybe not necessary, but that's what I was taught years ago.) Hopefully someone can confirm, and advise on your motor related questions......HTH :)

Mark

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #67409

welcome 58 dorsett,you might want to keep that motor,it pretty sought after,it a 1959 golden jubilee,it is their 50th anniversery edition,as for the rest ill let the jego guys tell you about the motor,i have a 35 hp in the basement but havent messed with it yet.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re: need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #67410

58dorsettdreams,

WELCOME to the FORUM! = GOOD group here!

IF it was me, i'd keep that OB & run it forever. - the old OMC OBs are TOUGH, though they are THIRSTY.

fyi,i'm looking for a 1959 (over 50HP) OB to match the 1959 HURRICANE runabout that i've found here in the Alamo city area & am about to restore.= IF/WHEN i find one, i expect it to outlast me, much less the boat.

just my opinion, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #67411

58dorsettdreams,

IF it was me, i'd keep that OB & run it forever. - the old OMC OBs are TOUGH, though they are THIRSTY.

fyi,i'm looking for a 1959 (over 50HP) OB to match the 1959 HURRICANE runabout that i've found here in the Alamo city area & am about to restore.= IF/WHEN i find one, i expect it to outlast me, much less the boat.

just my opinion, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #67412

58dorsettdreams,

just my opinion, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #67414

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Yes, it seems like the gas and oil weren't properly mixed. I put a gallon of gas in the tank, add oil, swirl the tank for a minute, then add the rest of the gas. Can you take a picture of the lower unit so we can see the leak? It might be extra oil draining from the leg, but seeing it can narrow it down. If you haven't done it yet, change the water pump impeller for peace of mind.

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #67423

I also have a 35 hp Golden Jubilee. Just like Johns. I'd do as Kerry said. Put a fresh impeller in and be safe for sure. New outboards are nice but they can be troublesome too. My Honda has caused me fits even with ethanol treatments in the gas. Make sure all the rubber in the gas system is compatible with today's crappy gas.
Attachments:

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #67424

hi again and thanxs for the reply's i will get some pics when i go back to the shop wes, also is there a thread on replacing the water pump impeller ? i know i can change it just have no clue on were it is and were to get one any info on that would be great ,thanxs again for the fast posts it is a very dry and well kept boat looks very cool in the water i will post some pics of that soon also ,we don't think the motor ever say a lot of use as its so clean ,we just don't yet feel ok with it but we will still try to work with it some pics of are 1st float the wifes b-day 8-11,,,,

my mug!!!!

Re: need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #67432

satx78247 wrote:

58dorsettdreams,

just my opinion, satx

Being thirsty is a story the mercury started...Truthfully they get better time per gallon than 1958 Merc Mark 58 (45 hp) and the 1959 mark 58A (also 45 hp)

CAVU

Re: need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #67435

TallTexan,

i meant thirsty, as compared to more modern OB motors. - the old MERCURYs were REALLY thirsty.
(my old MK78A for one.)

otoh, i believe that the "old school" OBs are generally TOUGHER than the new ones.- my old GALE Sovereign would run on anything (including OLD gas) & NEVER left me "out there".
(i've lost count, long ago, of the "modern" rigs that i've towed back in off Caddo & Lake of the Pines.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #67543

Sorry late to this, limited access, still on "vacation"! LOL There is a "pee hole" on the port side of the engine while looking at it from the prop side. It's about half way up and about roughly 1/4" in diameter or so if memory serves correct. Not at home so I can't confirm. It should have a steady stream of water coming out of it while the motor is running, along with some water coming out of the exhaust, mostly a small spray from there but steady stream from the pee hole.

As far as the impellor goes, you'll have to drop the lower unit. You'll see the water pump housing when you look at the lower unit. Fairly obvious when you see it. just removes the bolts and slide the top off and pull the impellor. Be careful not to loose the "key" in the shaft for the impellor. Sorry don't have any pics on this laptop. Some who have them can chime in here.

Bob

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #68011

update i had some time to work on the motor so i get brave and pulled the lower unit off the motor to get to the water pump it was very easy to do it came apart with trouble the shifter rod was fun to get to, had to remove both plates but no hiding bolts so with that said the impeller was in great shape very usable the housing had some scale build up so i lightly sanded is and added some grease to the side walls and put it all back in and started it on a hose and for the first time i can say i see water pumping throw the motor , it now's comes out of the lower port and the upper port also it now streams out 2 small holes on the lower unit side so back to the lake this weekend i will post some info and pics as to how it goes , hoping to get it out and over 10mph as the lake we first got on had a limit ,,,,, thanxs again for the help and posts here are some pics of the motor i had trouble with,

this is the port i now get some water from when its running is this how it should be???????please let me know

and the fun little covers for the shift rod

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #68015

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Yeah, that's where the water should come out!

Those fat 50's are good motors- Thirsty, yes- Terrible polluters, too. But, they RUN.

You can download the service manual, free, from my website-

agott.com/glassboat/manuals.html

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #68030

great thanxs for the info and yes it did use a lot of fuel just tooling around so it should be fun when we can really gas it on a real lake stay tune for pics should be fun hoping to make it to are friends house boat on lake don Pedro,,,,,,thanxs again dave&crystal

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #68034

58dorsettdreams,

there is a fairly easy modification to the FAT FIFTY to stop it dumping so much fuel into the water (the so-called "EPA MOD"), as it re-routes the excess gas back into the fuel tank.
I'll try to find a good set of instructions with a diagram, to post here, on how to do it.
fyi, it's NOT that complicated to do & harder to write about than to do.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #68036

Would the EPA Mod work on any Jonnyrude twin, like a super seahorse 40hp?

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #68037

aznative14,

i suspect that it will, but as the 40 isn't as BIG of a "OVERBOARD DUMPER" and/or as THIRSTY, i've never done it on a 40.
(as i said on another thread, i think that the 1962-63 Gales & SeaKings are the BEST of the BIG TWINS. - in fact, i'm loooking for TWO of those right now for the RAZORBACK utility & the HURRICANE runabout, that i just bought.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #68039

Thanks for the input, new motor just learning about it.

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #68040

aznative46,

welcome. - i'll try to find the precise answer for you.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:need some HELP with some motor info!!!! please 12 years 1 month ago #68345

well ok i like it we got to drop it in a lake we could really use it on and open it up and walla it moves out pretty darn good for a little vintage racer ,,lol we had a great time and got some fun time in thanxs again for the info from u all and we will stay in touch ,,,,,, dave & crystal ,,her a pic of the wife and they great back ground we had a great view ,,,,,,,

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online