Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1965 GW Invader split the deck problems

1965 GW Invader split the deck problems 12 years 1 month ago #67344

I have a 65 10 foot GW Invader that I want to replace the floor and transom. I want to remove the top deck from the hull. I drilled out the rivets, took off the rub rail, drilled out the other rivets and then discovered that the 2 parts have been fiberglassed together from the inside. There is no way I can get inside the boat to reach it and try to cut it out as there simply is no room. From the outside I can't even begin to get at it. I have tried to drive a putty knife, sharpened chisels and even screw drivers in between the layers. The problem seems to be that the top deck curves over the hull so the tools don't even reach the layer of glass inside that holds it together. I can't even punch a hole in the seam from the outside, it would go through the top of the deck first. How do you guys do this? Is there some kind of cutting tool used? No way a sawzall will fit as there is not enough room for blade travel. Any help appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1965 GW Invader split the deck problems 12 years 1 month ago #67362

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Maybe one of the oscillating multi-function tools?
www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multifunction-power-tool-68861.html
There are much nicer ones on the market, (for more money of course). The cheap one above has done the trick so far, and to be frank I have been accused of being "overly frugal". Once you get one, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it! :P

Mark

Re:1965 GW Invader split the deck problems 12 years 1 month ago #67363

boy mark ,you beat my reply by 8 minutes,i was going to say the same thing,lol,my multitool gets well used'john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1965 GW Invader split the deck problems 12 years 1 month ago #67365

Ditto on the above. I've had an original Multimaster for years (no clones out when I bought it). You will also find it very handy cutting out the transom and floor. There should be one in everyone's collection, IMNSHO. I use it all the time.

In your case, it sounds like it is going to be a difficult project. Might be a little more destructive that you want. I had a similar issue on my Glastron, but could get under the deck to cut it. Plus it was installed so badly that half of it wasn't close to where it was supposed to be.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1965 GW Invader split the deck problems 12 years 1 month ago #67377

Sounds like a popular tool around here. I was actually looking online at these last night wondering if it would help. I see they have this style of blade available

www.harborfreight.com/1-38-hcs-multi-tool-plunge-blade-68904.html

Is this what you guys are having success with? Still not sure it would get around the corner and cut where I need it but I'm going to go over to harbor freight at lunch today and have a look. I'm fortunate as there is a store only a couple of miles from my work. In these cases I usually start out with a cheap tool and if I use it enough I will upgrade to a better one. As for the transom I think my best tool will be a spoon as poking around in there only produces wet mush and carpenter ants. Thanks again guys and any other suggestions are welcome.

Re:1965 GW Invader split the deck problems 12 years 1 month ago #67383

When I pulled the deck on the '71 Banchie I redid, I used brute force. I used several prybars, wooden wedges, etc. to pry the inner lip away from the outer lip, horizontally. Once I got some separated, I moved on to the next area, wedging the tools into the tape they used to join the halves. Might be some pics here that show how it came apart....
www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,433,00.html

Re:1965 GW Invader split the deck problems 12 years 1 month ago #67392

I've found that a lot of times it helps to turn the boat upside down and place it on saw horses so that you can get to it in a seated or kneeling position instead of trying to lay in the boat reaching up to work. You can usually leanin into the bow area easier this way than with the sitting upright because the lower 3/4 of your body is free to move as you need....

Also remove as much of the glass overlay you can get to easily, and for the areas way up under the bow use a steel bar with a flat blade welded or bolted to it. Once you get it started under the glass you can usually tap it with a hammer and drive it along to seperate the glass overlay from the hull..

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:1965 GW Invader split the deck problems 12 years 1 month ago #67394

You can replace a transom without splitting the boat, we cut the well out to gain access. Alot of boats are done this way and the end result is very good.

Re:1965 GW Invader split the deck problems 12 years 1 month ago #67440

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I used a little of all of them and the deck is now removed. I bought one of the multitools and was able to cut about 2/3 of the seam with that. Then I started the crowbar and hammer method. I used a curved crow bar on the bow area that I sharpened the side edge of with a grinder. Once I got it up into the seam I pounded it sideways to cut along the rest. It was a little more destructive than I hoped but it's done.

Re:1965 GW Invader split the deck problems 9 years 3 months ago #111229

• curse
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Chinewalker wrote:

When I pulled the deck on the '71 Banchie I redid, I used brute force. I used several prybars, wooden wedges, etc. to pry the inner lip away from the outer lip, horizontally. Once I got some separated, I moved on to the next area, wedging the tools into the tape they used to join the halves. Might be some pics here that show how it came apart....
www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,433,00.html

Chinewalker, did you finish the project and if so how did it turn out?

1960 slickcraft catalina
1963 g-w invader ski-bird
1972 g-w invader drag & ski 14
Portage Michigan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT