• Page:

TOPIC: Salt water outboard

Salt water outboard 12 years 1 month ago #67245

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I was going to do this topic this winter, but decided to start it now.

Most everyone here is a lake or river boater, so most of the boats here run in fresh (or at worst brackish) water. However, I live 550 ft (according to FEMA) from a bay that opens in to a sound that opens into the ocean. Hence my nearest large body of water is salt water.

I have a great lake boat in the Aqua Ray. The rare times it does get in salt water, I take it to a lake the next day and run it to flush out the motor.

I want to be able to use my 59 Glastron SEAflite in salt water. It seems like a pretty seaworthy design and should run well in more open water. (There is a story somewhere that a SEAflite was run from TX to NYC as a publicity stunt for the 1959 NY Boat Show.) The question becomes, what motor? I don't want to ruin a good vintage motor by running it in SW, but I do want to keep the boat at least looking as authentic as possible. According to the factory brochure, the boat is rated for max 120 hp, however I don't need to run the max and would be happy with something around 75-80.

I go back to the idea of fitting a vintage motor hood on a newer outboard and painting and decaling it to match the period. Plus trying to take the guts of the modern controls and putting it in a vintage box. It seems like the larger Evinrudes would work well for this.

I would like to get everybody's thoughts on what to do about this or if anyone has any experience or ideas. Nothing is cast in stone, so I am open to almost anything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Salt water outboard 12 years 1 month ago #67253

You will need to install zinc aniods on your hull and motor. This will help stop the corrosion that happens between salt water and metal. Google it and you will find tons of info on it. Also DO NOT paint them. Alot of people paint them and then wonder why there engines eaten away by the salt. I am sure som of the west coast members will jump in here and be able to help out. Have fun, Skip.

Re:Salt water outboard 12 years 1 month ago #67260

Well there are always flushing attachments or test barrels to run the motor at home rather than take it to freshwater.

There is someone that did a good conversion, fitting a '58 Johnson 50 HP hood on a Yamaha (you might remember this thread):
fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/2-main-forum/60914-new-motors-old-boats.html#60945

Bruce Gerard has also done some interesting work with his Frankenrude project- a 1961 Evinrude 75 hood on a '66 Evinrude 100 HP.

Probably with a lot of metal working or fiberglass talent and enough determination you can adapt just about any motor cover that's large enough to any motor. Find the motor cover, or dimensions thereof, and then go motor shopping?

Re:Salt water outboard 12 years 1 month ago #67262

How about a perspective from a boater living 30 ft. from a salt water bay. Currently two modern outboard boats afloat at the dock without any additional anodes other than those installed from the factory on the motors. These boats were launched in May and will be in until mid October. I change the anodes on the motors (both OMC outboards) every spring and I could porobably get by every two years but I feel its cheap insurance. There are no anodes of any type on either hull and I see no corrosion issues.
From what I understand the electrolosys (sp?) issue comes into play when there is electrical current in the water at your dock. I see this most often in marinas with large vessels hooked up to shore power systems and are improperly grounded letting electrical current into the surrounding waters. I have seen boats from these area eat up anodes in a week or two so it can be bad.
When I run a vintage motor in the water here I usually flush it with a product called Salt-Away. It is a liquid that has a container that integrates it into your hose water at the flush muffs. This stuff works well and we use it on trailer brakes whenever they go in the water as well.
As per integrating a cowel, there is a guy near here that has a mid 70s ski boat with a modern Merc that looks vintage. The local decal / sign shop made up decals to look like a stainless wrap around as well as a Merc front plate decal. From 100 feet and 50 MPH it looks vintage !!
I am guessing you are not planning on a summer at a dock so zincs will probably not be an issue. The flushing would be important on any salt water motor. Lastly, a "Look A Like" vintage motor may be the best option due to reliability on "big water". Hope something here helps.

PS How come when I get boarded by the USCG they are always grumpy old men ??
Attachments:

Re:Salt water outboard 12 years 1 month ago #67632

I have to deal with salt & brackash water, it's 50' out the back door. Here electralisis is really bad mainly due to all the reefs. I've given the matter a lot of thought. I figger my Mercs will see the salty water maybe once a month. I've heard many good things about the de-salt flushing additives. The Merc should hold up for my lifetime. If the salt does ruin the motor another Merc 1000 is a lot cheaper than buying a late model motor/control and customize it. Some need anoides on fresh water lakes, it can't hurt to add to your outboard, still spray off everything with fresh water anyway when your done. Get the salt off when it's fresh or it's like concrete after it sits.

Re:Salt water outboard 12 years 1 month ago #67653

IslandBoatStuff,

I'd bet that that young Coastie has NO trouble taking men into her custody!
(CHUCKLE)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Salt water outboard 12 years 1 month ago #67686

heres some saltwater damage lol
Attachments:

Re:Salt water outboard 12 years 1 month ago #67691

wow, is that eaten right through? how long was that in the water?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online