• Page:

TOPIC: 1954 Waconda, From $350 to $6,000 evolution story

1954 Waconda, From $350 to $6,000 evolution story 12 years 1 month ago #67073

• larrychase
  • larrychase's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Last year I bought this 1954 Waconda with a Mercury engine and a TeeNee trailer for $350. It had not been used for many years … it was a project. I used it to teach my son-in-law and my grandson about boat repair; fiberglass patches, painted interior, added taillights to the boat (rather than taillights on the trailer), made the motor run again, rejuvenated/painted the trailer, and then went fishing. We spent about $425 to do all of that … so we had an investment of $775 in the whole project. It was all amateur work, but that is how the next generation learns.

I then decided that I should sell the boat/motor/trailer so I made a trade with a “classic car” shop (Tim at Kosmic Kustoms) for a 1953 five window Chevy pickup (which I then sold for $3,500).

Tim (being a professional, high-end, auto painter) got carried away on the boat and put an absolutely awesome paint job on the boat, changed the boat taillights, used a Hawaiian theme, and decked it out with bamboo. The paint color went from blue to a sea-foam green (basecoat/clearcoat). He painted the motor and cleaned up the interior. The teenee trailer still has the “brushed” on paint that we put on it.

Now Tim has it for sale for $6,000. See it at boise.craigslist.org/boa/3208770952.html and he took it to the Payette Lake boat show (which is primarily wood boats) and received great response … even though it just sat on the trailer.

The 1954 Waconda (built near the Washington state and Canada border) is a head-turner, it looks like a 1954 Buick or Pontiac, same tailfin treatment.

These 1950’s fiberglass boats do get the attention, and especially when they get decked out …

The pictures show the progression; when I first got the boat, after getting it rejuvenated, in the water, then onto Tim’s showcase paint job.

Thought you all might be interested in this little story,
Larry in Boise, Idaho

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Larry Chase in Idaho

Re:1954 Waconda, From $350 to $6,000 evolution story 12 years 1 month ago #67074

very cool larry,great paint.i like it,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1954 Waconda, From $350 to $6,000 evolution story 12 years 1 month ago #67188

I like it too. I always wished I had an artistic imagination. I have to go and look at my boat and think a little differently. Dave

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle