Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Glasspar Marathon Windshield

Glasspar Marathon Windshield 12 years 1 month ago #67045

Hello all! I just aquired a '63 (I think) Glasspar Marathon.It has the curved glass windshield.My question is:Can you install snaps on the top edge for a convertible top?Did they ever install these at the factory?Any help would be appreciated.Thanks,Charlie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Glasspar Marathon Windshield 12 years 1 month ago #67048

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
There were tops available from the factory but they were not held in place up front with snaps. The forward bow on the top was set to contact the windshield trim and just be held in place by tension when the straps at the rear where tied down. Navy Top style not Bimini Top style. I'd be leery of trying to install snaps on metal trim when it's holding a glass windshield in place. Might be possible but you'd be taking a chance on shattering the glass.
If you want the year verified check the small Glasspar plate on the left side just about where your left forearm would be if sitting in the left front seat. Hand stamped brass insert in a window at the bottom of the chrome Glasspar casting. Post the numbers...can get year, model, build order and which plant the boat was built in from that serial number.

Re:Glasspar Marathon Windshield 12 years 1 month ago #67082

Hi Rod,thanks for your reply.I pretty much figured that drilling into a glass windshield wouldn't be a very prudent idea.Last night I remembered this post from another member and this explains it all. www.fiberglassics.com/images/phocagallery/scottemily-scotts-pri-a230/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_P1010554.JPG Pretty interesting idea the way it's held in place.I won't have a problem having the bows made up as my Dad is a retired electrician and a magician with an EMT pipe bender!LOL! The bows won't be a problem either as I work in a boat salvage yard.
My serial # is 14xp3080 Thanks again,Charlie.
P.S.When I get a chance I'll post some pics.

Re:Glasspar Marathon Windshield 12 years 1 month ago #67103

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
You are correct...1963 built at the Petersburg, VA plant. Looking forward to the pictures. I've always had a fondness for the early 60's Marathons and Citations. Suppose that's because I grew up with my grandfather's 1960 Citation so that design says 'boat' to me more than any other.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online