Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Questions about coring floor in restoration

Questions about coring floor in restoration 12 years 1 month ago #66970

I'm getting ready to replace the floor in the Cobra Commando (full story in another thread) and I need to make decisions on the coring.

It originally had some blocks of lighter wood laid endways, with 2 stringers about 1" tall down either side between the blocks.

It has about a 3" keel, which is and always was hollow. The floor is nearly flat and 4" wide.

My plan is to glass a think cover over the open, half round, keel, then lay the 1" end grain balsa I have on the hull, going all the way from one side to the other.

I'm wondering if I really need the stringers, such as they were, at all? The end grain balsa, set in resin, with glass over the top, should be as strong as it would be with two 1" tall by maybe 2" wide pieces of some other wood down each side.

I have a Redfish which had only coring, no runners or stringers, and they seemed to do ok.

And, if you think I should put some sort of stringers in it, what wood would you recommend?

My drum of resin will show up tomorrow, I already have the balsa and lots of glass, so this weekend may see it started.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online