Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Boating on the Hudson over the weekend

Boating on the Hudson over the weekend 12 years 1 month ago #66896

Interesting weekend boating on about the only water reasonably close by - the Hudson River.

Saturday we had company that wanted to go out in the boat. So off we go after lunch to the Henry Hudson Park in the town of Bethlehem. There are no other tow vehicle/trailers parked there, which is unusual, but the weather forecast was for cloudy skies after lunch, and then clearing. Just as we take off heading north to Albany, it starts sprinkling, but not so bad anybody wanted to turn around. It gets a little worse as we get to Albany, then turns into a downpour. We hide under the U.S. Route 9 bridge for a while, but everybody wants to get back, so off I go. It's all I can do to see to steer, but we make it back drenched. Just as we dock and get off the boat, the rain stops and the sun comes out. We left anyways.

That company left Saturday night, then we had more company Sunday for lunch (our good friends Terry & Rosemary Holland). Once they left, we were off again for some boating. This time there were lots of boats out, and while the weather was decent, the wake waves from some of these boats was enough to drive you nuts!

If nothing else, that old '63 Merc 1000 performed flawlessly, especially on the way back Saturday. I'm pretty sure that's the fastest I've had Gail in the boat over a distance. Normally she would complain, but not in a driving rainstorm!

Over the winter I will keep working on getting the 1350 built. Right now I'm concentrating on our '47 Old Town canoe while the weather is decent.

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Boating on the Hudson over the weekend 12 years 1 month ago #66903

Frank,

Glad to see to got out and had some fun (except the rain part).
You have been working on the Old Town so much you deserve a couple of days off.

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:Boating on the Hudson over the weekend 12 years 1 month ago #66904

Yes, been busy working on the '47 Old town, but that was in anticipation of having Terry Holland stop by Sunday to give me some advice. He's done two or three of these old wood and canvas canoes, and I knew I had to have this one stripped down enough for him to see what I had to work with. These canoes were very well built, and it took a lot of time to tear it apart, but it was fairly enjoyable to do, and I got done what needed to be done before Terry arrived. It's good to have goals!

Our Power Cat is a great antidote to work of about any kind!

Frank

Re:Boating on the Hudson over the weekend 12 years 1 month ago #66939

it still sounds like you had fun .
frank is that merc a long shaft or short shaft?my devil ray is only 16 inches high.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Boating on the Hudson over the weekend 12 years 1 month ago #66951

That's a problem John. This is a long shaft motor!

Frank

Re:Boating on the Hudson over the weekend 12 years 1 month ago #66960

crap!!!!!!!!!,well thanks for the great offer frank,darn it it would have made the devil ray fly,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Boating on the Hudson over the weekend 12 years 1 month ago #66962

No problem John. Good luck finding a big hp short shaft for that baby!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online