Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Contamination.

Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #66849

I have no figured out what it is yet. It does not appear to be silicone. I know I have not had nothing near it. I used clean rags during all my stages. I'm thinking someone used something close by. Well anyway it is only on the fore deck of my Winner. :ohmy: When I was done spraying it it looked wonderful. About an hour Mom came in ans said there was blisters all over it. I started to sand it back off this morning but I knew it would be too soft yet. I left it and came back later just to see new ones popped up. The rest of it looks great. :angry: Oh well this is life. I'll rub it off and try again , but with a few extra steps to clean up the contamination. Been there, done that before. It is just frustrating. :angry:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #66852

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Is it hot and/or humid where you painted it?

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #66855

Oh yes, When I removed a blister in the very middle it goes all the way done to the primer. You can see a tiny spot. My son was wire brushing a truck bed a little ways off and was using a coating on the bed bottom. I wonder if he got sloppy.

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #66856

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Water or air in some pit holes that "boiled" out?
I've seen that on some of my projects where there was water on the surface and the paint just covered it up. the water would come from the compressor if you didn't have a filter on it.
I would take a pin or needle and pick them open to see what's underneath, you might be able to squish them back down.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #66858

Just air.Even after pushing them down they could be seen. I never seen it work just like this. I've dealt with all kind sof contamination problems. I was having silicone problems in my bodyshop years ago. I would not even have a can of silicone spray in there. Here my son bought some and was using it on his car in my bay I did bodywork. URRRRR.

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #66923

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Ugg... No fun. I've had similar problems before!!

Once I sprayed a coat on a day when it was a BIT too warm- The paint skimmed over, and the unevaporated solvent underneath expanded due to the heat, and blistered just like that... I had to sand it all down and recoat. Not fun, especially after so many days of sanding to prepare for the paint!

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #66955

We had similar problem. Drove us nuts. Than figured out the one box of gloves were powdered.

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67080

I had a few spots come up but not like before. Funny thing is I think the fiberglass has something in it.
Attachments:

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67105

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like it did come out a lot better this time Robert! I'm no "paint and body" guy like some of you are, but wondering if you may be onto something with the something in the fiberglass thought?

Mark

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67118

With all the failed attempts to fix the old girl and the fact that paint did bleed the whole way down to the glass mat before and the fact that I sanded all the failed attempts and gel coat off and this morning you can see a few funny little cracks in it, I think I'm right. I'm going to fish from it and maybe I'll get a better example to put myself into.

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67122

I just took my boat out of the water this last weekend. It had been in for 3 weeks. I ended up with all these bubbles as well. The paint looked so good until now. I used Super Marine Revolution paint. I'm sure the problem was not with the paint - probably my technique. ??
I just wish I knew what I did wrong. I use multiple water filters and drain my tank before painting. I didn't get any bubbles til I put her in the water.
Tom
Attachments:

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67136

I used to use two air dryers but the second one never had nothing in it. I may wait for another project boat. I will use this one for fishing. I USE my fishing boat and they receive scars. I like the hull. I've put alot of work into this boat. :S My MFG has been painted three times by me since I bought it and I've painted hundreds of cars, so I have a good idea what I'm doing. Oh well, you lose a battle :lol: now and then. NEXT PROJECT.

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67153

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Fiddyninefins wrote:

I'm sure the problem was not with the paint - probably my technique. ??
I just wish I knew what I did wrong. I use multiple water filters and drain my tank before painting. I didn't get any bubbles til I put her in the water.
]

Wow- That's not good!!

How long did the paint cure before you put it in the water??

MOST single part paints wouldn't stand up to three weeks in the water. Supermarine paints should, though. My test panels were submerged, or at least wet, for about a YEAR and showed no issues...

You do have to be extra careful to make sure it's cured all the way, if it can't offgas the solvent it will bubble like that. I had that problem when I recoated it too soon, but putting it in the water before the full cure could also cause that.

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67202

Yea it was over 7 months in my heated garage before putting it in the water. Recoating too soon most definitely could be my problem. You know how anxious you get to get more coats on - or maybe it's just me?
When I pop the bubbles there is moisture in the big ones.
Tom

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67203

Just kinda wondering what type of heater you used? had the same problem afew yrs back. Used a torpedo heater. 2 days in the water and it bubbled really bad. It had sat in garage for 4 months. An old car painter told me that it was the moisture in the air that got sucked down to the surface with the paint. He said that the kerosen would not dry out the air. Told me to only use electric heat as that will dry out the air fast. We tryed it when we repainted the hull with the same paint and it turned out ok. So I guess it is just something to think of. Skip.

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67269

I have a big hanging heater in my 4 bay that is powered by propane and an electric fan blower.
I'm definitely going to be more conscious of the moisture and drying times on my next one.
Tom

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67282

I had two auto paint jobs I did go bad, with small spots of the color coat flaking loose after a few weeks. At first I was confused, because I had done the color coats in a professional paint booth owned by a neighbor who did custom paint work. Then I realized that I had done the primer coats on both cars in my own shop, using my rather old air compressor, which had moisture traps but no oil traps. It was oil vapor causing the defects, and I've since added oil absorbers to the compressor outlet, and I use new, dedicated air hoses for paint only.

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67740

One week and three days after I put the last coats on it blistered up. This morning it was OK. :angry: Maybe I'll put truck bed liner on it.

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67753

truck bed liner....LMAO

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67755

That would be a one of a kind look!!! It should take the abuse of use pretty well also. :laugh:
Bill

Re:Contamination. 12 years 1 month ago #67769

Well I know my dog will have to jump over the windshield, she has so much energy. I should put deck carpet on it really.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online