Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bought My First Boat: 66 Duo! Motor Questions

Bought My First Boat: 66 Duo! Motor Questions 12 years 1 month ago #66692

Hello!

Well I've always had a thing for 60's fiberglass runabouts, and I was finally able to find one that fits my budget!

It's a 15 foot 1966 Duo, with a 1967 Chrysler 45hp outboard. It's rough around the edges and in need of paint, but overall it runs, the transom is solid and it floats. What more can I ask for?

My brother holding the boat while I park the truck:

But, I have a few questions related to the motor. It starts and runs fantastic, except for the fact it has no power! First thing I checked was the throttle cable and that the carb opened all the way, and sure enough it does. It' doesn't misfire, it starts instantly, idles perfect even at super low rpm, and seems to have good compression (haven't gauged it yet though). But wow, is it slow, I got to a max of 4mph.

The funny thing is, it gets there relatively quick, but just levels out. Wont rev past ~2-3k rpm (by ear). Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help!
Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Bought My First Boat: 66 Duo! Motor Questions 12 years 1 month ago #66695

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Eric, glad to have you join us and congrats on the nice find! I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but there's something amiss with your motor. I would think 45hp should be enough to put you well into the 30-35mph range easily.

Have you pulled the spark plugs to see what they look like? (Sounds more like a fuel problem, but always good to cover all your bases!) Fuel lines in good shape, tank vent open fully, carb(s) been cleaned lately? Is the timing advancing with the throttle? I'm not that familiar with the Chrysler motors, but we do have some folks here who can help.

I'd recommend getting a manual (eBay, marinengine.com, wherever you can find one) for your motor, and read up on tune up procedures etc. in the mean time. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Mark

Re:Bought My First Boat: 66 Duo! Motor Questions 12 years 1 month ago #66698

Welcome aboard and I'm sure you will love this site.

Re:Bought My First Boat: 66 Duo! Motor Questions 12 years 1 month ago #66717

Thanks for the info guys! I do have a service manual for it and am going to check a few things today. I noticed this site doesn't seem to have a sections for Chrysler motors like it does for some other brands. Are there any websites or forums dedicated to these things?

Re:Bought My First Boat: 66 Duo! Motor Questions 12 years 1 month ago #66724

I hadn't thought about that: a Chrysler engine forum. We can certainly add one. What's the general feeling on that?

Hello, World!!

Re:Bought My First Boat: 66 Duo! Motor Questions 12 years 1 month ago #66725

Well they are out there and I have a couple of times had to search other forums to try and find out something about these motors. It is good to have some local knowlage of them. Skip.

Re:Bought My First Boat: 66 Duo! Motor Questions 12 years 1 month ago #66726

He is some history on the Chrysler.

www.allpar.com/history/marine.html

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re: Bought My First Boat: 66 Duo! Motor Questions 12 years 1 month ago #66729

UglyBoostr,

WELCOME to the forum.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Bought My First Boat: 66 Duo! Motor Questions 12 years 1 month ago #66740

Welcome aboard! There are a couple of websites devoted to Chrysler outboard motors and boats. Might be good places to visit.

Andreas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online