• Page:

TOPIC: Dependable outboards.

Dependable outboards. 12 years 1 month ago #66688

• littlefin
  • littlefin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Tonight the wife and I decided to go fishing. I took the 14' Lund fishing boat, and the 1982 15hp Evenrude because they have been sitting for quite awhile. We launched the boat and used the electric troller to get out of the others way. I grab the ball and gave it a few squeezes, then reached over and gave the Rude a tug. BANG it fired up on the first pull, and purred like a kitten. Threw it in gear and away we went.

When we got out to the "SECRET SPOT" on lake I let the boat dead drift across the sweet spot. Dropped the line down to the bottom and felt the tug. Took up some slack and set the hook. One smaller walleye in the boat, on the first cast. Long story short I boated 6 walleye's in less than an hour. Not bad for August.

I am always amazed at how dependable some outboards are. Little to no maintenance. Sit's for years. And on a moments notice they are ready to go out and do battle like they did when they were new.

My 82 Rude is the newest out board I have ever had, so I can't speak for the newer ones, but the older ones work so well, and last so long they get names like "Old Faithful" or "Ole-Reliable" or "Rudie".

When was the last time you were at the dock and saw a new boat owner pat the top of his outboard and say "Ready girl? Lets do this". And when it starts on the first pull everyone cheers.

The new ones may run smoother and cleaner. Heck they probably will out last the first two owners. But I wonder, will they ever have the charm of the oldies?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:Dependable outboards. 12 years 1 month ago #66705

I have the answer. NO

Re:Dependable outboards. 12 years 1 month ago #66712

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I love that about old motors and old stuff in general. My toaster was made in 1924. The first pop up toaster. I have the matching waffle iron. Most of my fans in my house are 1920's and 30's. (the house itself 1919) I drive cars from the 1960s. I have a 1963 Evinrude Starflite 75 that I routinely tell people, I have not used this in 2 years. (or however many at the time) I am so confident in this motor I would dump the boat in a quarter mile above the dam and not think twice about it starting up.

They say some machinery has personality. I thing this Evinrude is returning the favor. This is the one where some idiot made it long shaft but did not lengthen the coolant tubes. I think reliable service is the way it pays me back for the TLC of getting it back in shape and on the water.

Great story. No. New stuff will simply be discarded, recycled and replaced with other new stuff. The old stuff was made with care and pride from the designer to the assembly line, to the show floor. Now stuff is designed by what computers think people want, made as cheaply as possible to maximize profit for investors, and sold over the internet. I think Superman lost a good part of the fight for Life, liberty and the American way. The American way that produced the Evinrude Larks no longer exists anywhere.

Re: Dependable outboards. 12 years 1 month ago #66728

littlefin,

imVho, 99% of the "modern OB motors" will be RECYCLED while my OLD johnnyrudes will still be pushing my boats.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle