• Page:

TOPIC: Project "Y"--Another Lark!!!

Project "Y"--Another Lark!!! 12 years 1 month ago #66661

• labloverdc
  • labloverdc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, since the cat is out of the bag re KevFin's and Brad's Lark Project X, I guess it is time to unveil our Project "Y". We are busy recreating the original Evinrude Lark “Concept Boat,” which was designed by Brookes Stevens for Evinrude to promote sales of their new, top-of-the-line, 1956 Evinrude Lark outboard motor. The “Concept Boat” was shown for 3 years, until it was retired in 1958 from the show scene. The original's whereabouts remain unknown, but Evinrude offered the design rights to any boat builder that wanted to build a production version. Cadillac took them up on the offer, and are rumored to have built 3. KevFin has one (which is the basis for Project X), Bill Anderson recently acquired the second, and to my knowledge nobody knows if there is a third one out there somewhere waiting to be rediscovered.

A few folks have known about this project for a while, particularly Bill, who was instrumental in arranging for my involvement, and more recently KevFin, Brad and a handful of others. I'm excited to report that the task is being undertaken by Gary MacNorius, out of south Florida, who some of you may know is one of the finest craftsmen in the hobby.

This project was actually started with Gary several years ago by a gentleman who for personal reasons decided against completing it. Gary has had a long-term interest in the Lark, and has been accumulating literature/photos/information on it for 20 or more years. When KevFin uncovered the first (known remaining) Cadillac Sea Lark, he kindly arranged for Gary to obtain one of the fins. Of course, that was a crucial part of the project, and the fin was used to create a fiberglass replica, which in turn was used to create the hand-crafted, polished aluminum fins as seen in the photo below.

We are going to great lengths to recreate the boat as faithfully as possible to the original concept boat. Gary was able to obtain original patent drawings for the Evinrude Lark, and has reproduced the hull in wood to match the design and dimensions. There are some subtle, and some not so subtle, differences between the Cadillac Sea Lark, and the Evinrude Lark. For example, the Evinrude hull features hard chines, whereas the Cadillac hull has rounded chines. Our best research indicates some significant interior differences as well, and of course there are also trim and other variances. It will be exciting to compare the finished results of the boats KevFin, Brad, Bill and we are doing. Of course, judging from Brad's past work, I wouldn't be surprised to see his version include some meticulous custom touches that Cadillac only wishes they had thought of, and I know Bill's will be an amazing restoration; KevFin's as well, if it turns out anything like his nearly completed Glass Slipper.

Personally, I'm thrilled to be part of the quest to bring the “Holy Grail” out of the pictures and into the public limelight, where people can actually see and touch it. It is such a fascinating and historically significant boat, and I get goosebumps thinking of one of them being displayed at various shows around the country.

I'm sure we will all be posting more about these exciting projects, but for now, “WELCOME TO LARK WORLD.”

Shannon in Crystal River
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shannon

Re:Project "Y"--Another Lark!!! 12 years 1 month ago #66662

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thank you for sharing Shannon. Will you be continuing the thread with future photos?

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re: Project "Y"--Another Lark!!! 12 years 1 month ago #66665

labloverdc et. al.,

i WISH that you "re-creators" would come up with a BIG/BEAMY IB or I/O runabout or utility, that suitable to run the Gulf & big bays for gamefishing. = i've looked & looked W/O success.
(i would be a buyer for one over 20ft.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Project "Y"--Another Lark!!! 12 years 1 month ago #66667

• KevFin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Excellent post Shannon! Well spoken, and very accurate, there are indeed a lot of details and subtleties to be found in the original boats. I am glad your boat is being done so well!

I hadn't seen the interior progress yet, it is fabulous, very true to the original. Thank you for sharing it. Gary does terrific work, I know it will be a show stopper.

It was wonderful of Bill to arrange for your involvement, he is a very selfless and generous friend to all in the community.

Below is a newspaper article I found many years ago in an old cabinet and compiled from several pages into one piece. There is a lot on the Evinrude Lark there. It is from the Milwaukee Journal. Enjoy!

-KevFin
Attachments:

Re:Project "Y"--Another Lark!!! 12 years 1 month ago #66672

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..WOW . South Florida. GOOD info.. How did you guys ever find each other. At the beginning of this glass movement 10 or 12 years ago, South West Florida was at the top of the collection / restoration forefront .. We would all go to Mt Dora to see the latest resto from Tommy in Tampa & Gary M.
. I love the polished Al parts.. Those other Feather Craft folks will watch this. Looking forward to another hat trick from Gary.

. Maybe us other motor guys should have a contest & see what size MERCURY is going on these ladies..!
PS. Don't bother going up to Lake " X " to test the reliability of this hull , it's not there anymore. !

CONGRATS.

Re:Project "Y"--Another Lark!!! 12 years 1 month ago #66983

• labloverdc
  • labloverdc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi KevFin and Larry--KevFin, thanks for the compliments and posting the article. Lots of good information in there.

Larry, thank you for posting the picture of the MTZ Gary did. That was before I got interested in these old boats, but I've heard it was quite a sight, and capable of rattling the windows across the lake with those pipes.

In answer to your question of how I hooked up with Gary, Bill Anderson introduced us at the Lake Tavares antique boat show last March. I was very impressed at how much time he took to explain to me some of the construction and design details of his beautiful, one-off "Ventuno" he was displaying. Then, a few months later, Bill told me he heard the original person doing the Lark with Gary had decided not to complete it, and suggested that I call Gary if I was interested.

Gary put me in touch with the original person, and we struck a deal, with the understanding that Gary would be the person finishing the project. That suited me perfectly, as he was the only person I would have wanted to do it. The rest is history, as they say.

I will try to post more as additonal progress is made.

Shannon in Crystal River

Shannon

Re:Project "Y"--Another Lark!!! 12 years 1 month ago #66990

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi, As I read Shannon from Crystal rivers reply,,I just wonder how many of you realize what this lady has did since nov of 2011 in the boat collection world, here is just a few,Volks boat,Falls Flyer,Crestiner 12ft Jetstreak,Arkansas traveler,56 meteor,ValiVI,these are done or darn near,then she has a feathercraft rocket,Barnes shark,59 reinell, Beeline sapphire.,car aqua,58Herters big wide body,very rare,Impala craft,powercat,,Glastron sureflight seville,and another 10 or so and lets not forget the sea lark,Now you ask who does them,,she has been doing some herself with assistance but ahe is learning quickly,also she has engines and trailers that are correct for each boat like tee nees and gators and the engines are merc,scott,javelin and OLIVERS plus her little motor collection,Now when she puts her mind in for a hunt she hunts,,Now with this barn she will have a good place for most,,but she does have a collection.But there are alot of collections that people don't realize,Gilligan has over 100 boats and also has some of the rarest,all the headlight boats,ect, Corrine has 30 plus of the rare good ones, Del is keeping a museum supplied with some of his rarest finished boats,Larry McKay has all the headlight boats now along with the others,Lets not forget Rob Raymond in Fla, he is getting a lot done in the weird boats also,and has some real neat unusual boats.Chris Smith has some but I am not sure of what ,I know the slipper herters,beeline and 10 more or so,,and Kevfin and Joe wallace has been collecting for years,and I know I am missing alot of other weird boat collectors but it is fascinating on how Shannon has did this in less than a year..My wife and I have been doing this since 2006 and I keep thinking I have all I want,but then something comes up, Mine can be seen at menu on left glassic links then hobby list,or www.Billscars.com,we are getting them done but it is takes time,I have one employee ERIK, and when we are not doing cars we do boats,There are no repops in my herd,hahah,I just had to say something about all the collections that are out there of the weird low production boats,sorry this took so long,,I know I left out alot but Thanks Bill Anderson

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online