• Page:

TOPIC: 1947 Steelcraft Cruiser

1947 Steelcraft Cruiser 12 years 1 month ago #66442

• finfanatic
  • finfanatic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Not sure where to post this, but General seems to be the best fit.(Warning: Textburg ahead)

I was finally able to acquire this boat after 25 years. She is a 1947 Steelcraft 26' sedan cruiser built by Churchward & Co.

I first saw this boat when I was 15 years old. It was laid-up behind a row of buildings in the downtown section of my hometown of Kingsport, TN. That day, I happened to be riding with my Dad who was going to the feed store on the other side of town. The boat was sitting with an abandoned look and had an orange colored primer all over it. With it's blunt nose and swooping lines, the boat looked(to me at 15) like something out of a Flash Gordon movie. I excitedly pointed it out to my Dad and asked if we could stop and ask about it. He looked at me like I just told him I wanted to take ballerina lessons, and said "What would we do with that thing, bury it in the front yard and plant flowers in it?". I knew that boat was totally out of reach. Next time we went through there, the boat had disappeared from behind the buildings.

Over the years, I never forgot about that boat. Truthfully, it was the "one that got away", and I came to realize that it was actually the driving force behind my obsession with old boats.

Some years later, while in high school, I just happened to be venturing out further and further on the local back roads in my car and almost wrecked when I saw a gleaming white vision of boating perfection sitting on a trailer in the front yard of a ranch style house. From her swooping lines and blunt bow, I immediately put two and two together and thought this had to be the boat I spotted downtown years ago, and to my amazement she looked to be fully restored! Well, of course I had to stop and ask. An older gentleman opened the door and he filled me in on all the details. It actually was the boat that I had spotted all those years ago, and he was storing it down there for a while after he had acquired it. He was a machinist by trade, and had restored the entire boat himself, faithfully documenting it every step of the way. I asked if he'd sell it, and he reluctantly priced her at 25k(if he decided to actually sell, that is). Needless to say, he might as well had said a million, as I was still in high school and broke.

I would end up driving by there ever so often to see the boat moved to a different location in the yard on several occasions, with a heavy truck tarp on top.

About five years later, I was up that way and decided to stop and ask about her as she looked to have not moved in a few years. A sweet elderly lady was sitting on the porch. Turns out she was the widow of the man who restored the boat. Unfortunately he had died some months back. After offering my condolences, I told her the story of who I was and how much I loved the boat. By that time, I knew all about Steelcraft and Safticraft as I had studied all the info I could find on them. She was impressed with my knowledge of the boat, and said she had tried to sell the boat after he passed(!), and would have loved to have sold it to me, but she had just decided to give the boat to her Grandson. I left a little sad about the news, but still held a glimmer of hope that I would be able to buy the boat from the Grandson someday.

Over the next several years, I noticed that the boat had been moved a couple of times to different locations on the property. It finally ended up behind the big garage with even more tarps on top. I knew it was time to stop and ask again. This time, a guy younger than me came to the door. It was the Grandson. The Grandmother had passed away and left the entire estate to him and his wife. I asked if he would sell, and he was reluctant. His Grandfather had named the boat after him and his sister, so I could totally understand his apprehension.

We stayed in touch over the next few years, actually becoming good friends. Recently he decided it was time to pass the torch to someone who would give her a good home, so she now resides with me. Finally.

This boat was fully restored in 1984 and still looks incredible. The inside of the hull still gleams white everywhere. The original flathead 6 marine engine still runs smoothly with only 69 hours of use since total rebuild. The man was a machinist and everything is right and precise. He even built the custom trailer.

I plan to freshen her up with a new paint job, some roof work on the cabin, and then a nice spot in my favorite marina on my favorite local lake. To give you an idea of her size, those are huge 31 X 10.50 tires you see on the trailer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1947 Steelcraft Cruiser 12 years 1 month ago #66443

• finfanatic
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member

Re: 1947 Steelcraft Cruiser 12 years 1 month ago #66444

finfanatic,

WOW! PURTY CRUISER!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1947 Steelcraft Cruiser 12 years 1 month ago #66446

WoW, Nice boat and history. I had my eye on a steel cruiser here for a summer. It was sitting at Greco's. That is the local scrap yard. They hated to cut her up. It was rough and had a slant six Crysler in her. It finally dis appeared. I have never asked the fate. I don't want to know.

Re:1947 Steelcraft Cruiser 12 years 1 month ago #66510

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!! Haven't seen one before that looks really cool, great history by the way.

Bob

Re:1947 Steelcraft Cruiser 12 years 1 month ago #66523

I LOVE the lines on this boat, especially the sheer line. The cabin is perfect too. Congratulations.

Tyson

Re:1947 Steelcraft Cruiser 12 years 1 month ago #66546

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
CONGRATS R. : That a big Gal. I know you have been after that for a while . & selling boats to raise funds.. If you take a full excursion south down the Tn river, you can anchor in our cove south of Dayton..!
. Very nice insides..I read about the STEEL-CRAFT website owner registry.. Very commercial, & only a few made as cruisers. Almost like the company executive order.
. I scored a one owner 54 Feather AL speedboat in spring ,down the road, & still trying to pry a Cherokee from a friend in city . 59 Red deck ,.. GOOD to read your SCORE.

Re:1947 Steelcraft Cruiser 12 years 1 month ago #66583

• finfanatic
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys, I hope to have her on the water by next year. I know a guy that works on houseboats who would be happy to take on the job of painting her.

L, I'll take you up on that offer sooner or later. I bet I know who has the Cherokee, and congrats on the Feathercraft! I can't wait to see pics!

Re:1947 Steelcraft Cruiser 12 years 6 days ago #70053

Dude. We seriously need to talk!
Attachments:

Re:1947 Steelcraft Cruiser 12 years 6 days ago #70054

FYI or for the library- but under what category ? I found some Steelcraft brochure info I'm attaching. In the 80s there were at a least 7 Steelcrafts in use or in storage on Lake Champlain a;so a couple larger steel hulled Safe-T-Crafts.
Attachments:

Re:1947 Steelcraft Cruiser 12 years 5 days ago #70115

Cool. I've actually spoken to the guy who owned the 35' footer over the years. Mike is a real nice guy and he gave me some advice on bottom jobs, etc. He's the webmaster of the Steelcraft/Safticraft web page and my boat is featured there, with her red/black color scheme. I do believe the 35 footer was his 3rd, but I think he sold it. There's also a guy near me in Rochester, NY who's had several and has actually spoken to the gentleman who designed these boats back in the 40s. Jake helped me alot, he had a complete original top he let me use as a template when I restored mine. The pic above is literally 10 minutes after launch thhis past August, after a 3 year resto.

Stange, tho. Finfanatics boat looks altered to me. The cabin is too high, compared to all the other ones I've seen in my life (and trust me I've seen every one in new york state..lol) and the windows are totally different shaped. Could definitely be a custom factory job, or the guy who restored it in the 80's could have made some changes. Either way it's an awesome story and a really awesome thing to find one in such great shape!!!!! Beautiful boat regardless! And Finfanatic if you're listening there's also a Steelcraft group on Facebook!!!

Re:1947 Steelcraft Cruiser 12 years 5 days ago #70123

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
There's a boat that really has some character. Very cool! Excited to see photos in the water next year!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online