Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1961 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 purchase

1961 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 purchase 12 years 2 months ago #66233

On Thursday, I became the owner of a 1961 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35. It was purchased in 1961 by a Pontiac dealer in central Iowa. He kept it in his lakeside boathouse until 1992 when they hauled it out of the lake and placed it in storage until they sold it to his neighbor at his auction. I purchased the boat from his neighbor's grandson and am begining the restoration. I have fond memories of seeing this boat (rarely) as he would come visit our next door neighbor. My brother skied behind this boat in the late 60's, but I never had the pleasure of riding in the boat.
It is powered by the original 327 CID Gray Marine conversion Rambler 188hp V8 and is sitting on the Hilltop Trailer. I started the cleaning process over the weekend by pressure washing inside and out, then today I began disassembling the rub rail, cleats, insignias and hardware. I placed everything in zip lock bags and label them for reassembly. My paint man came over to assess the hull and deck and get a game plan down for that process. I will be having it sprayed with Awl Grip and doing the majority of prep work for him. I will post pictures when I get my camera back! Right now I will need a replacement windshield (Several cracks, one Turbocraft Speedometer (Broken Lens) and one Turbocraft insignia.
Over the years, I have collected alot of information on Buehler Turbocraft and the history. I would enjoy hearing from other owners on their boats and histories.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1961 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 purchase 12 years 2 months ago #66237

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Congratulations on your purchase. I might be able to help you with some of your parts / windshield. If not I've made a few contacts through here that might be able to help you. Nice to see some more early Buehlers coming on here.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:1961 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 purchase 12 years 2 months ago #66242

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Hornet. Very interesting story/history on your new project, looking forward to seeing some pics.

Mark

Re:1961 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 purchase 12 years 2 months ago #66251

Welcome aboard and I can't wait to see your pics. By the way document everything and pay special attention to what may have been original. We LOVE pics. :side:

Re:1961 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 purchase 12 years 2 months ago #66260

Rick, I have been following your restoration pictures as well. Are you in Minnesota? I have a few things that I may be changing on the restoration that will be minor. The formica style wood grain doors and battery compartment located behind the front seat back is in good shape, but faded along with the side gunnel trim boards. I may relplace them with solid mohagony, but the rest of the boat will be strictly stock. I am removing a nice depth finder as that is not needed and I did not like the looks of it on the top of the dash.
I have a large packet of information that came with the boat. It includes a finely detailed Buehler corporation parts listing packet for reordering every part associated with the Jet 35 model. Rick, I will be glad to make copies for you and send them to you...
More as it comes as there is alot of information to share!

Re:1961 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 purchase 12 years 2 months ago #66279

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'm back & forth to MN.. Currently I'm in Ca.. Did you receive my email about the parts? I'd love and appreciate any info you may have. The info I had is already on the Library here. Have you been to the Library yet?

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:1961 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 purchase 12 years 2 months ago #66284

Rick,
I just got your email, it went into my junk mail box for some reason. I will measure my windshield when I get back on Thursday. I was looking through my packet and I think the boat is a 1962 model from what the registration says. I reside at Lake Okoboji and get to Minnesota frequently. I look forward to moving this project along as it has been on my "want" list for the past 20 years! Look forward to sharing information on the Buehlers!
Royce

Re:1961 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 purchase 12 years 2 months ago #66286

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Royce,

Thats in Iowa correct? The lake closest to me is Big Stone lake in MN/SD. 62 is the same as my year! That makes two on this site!

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:1961 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 purchase 12 years 2 months ago #66288

Rick, I am about 3 hours straight south of you on highway 71. I have cousins who live in Big Stone and am familiar with your area. I have alot of Buehler information from over the years of collecting. I have copies of the Indiana Gear Works news letters, emails from former employees and copies of company boat pictures of various models. Kind of interesting stuff. It is an interesting story from what I have gathered. I am looking forward to getting my restoration moving forward!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online