Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: battery

battery 12 years 2 months ago #65880

With this being my first boat, is a boat battery much different than a car battery? I can't see a difference.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:battery 12 years 2 months ago #65882

welcome floyd,a boat battery is a deep cycle battery,its made to charge down and recharge many times,its also called an RV battery,because they are also used in campers.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:battery 12 years 2 months ago #65885

Thanks for the quick info. I wondered about the inactivity with a boat concerning the battery. I need to get this licenced in Washington State without VINS on the boat and trailer.

Re:battery 12 years 2 months ago #65887

floyd066,

if you have the room, a PAIR of 6-volt golf-cart batteries will GENERALLY be superior to one marine deep-cycle battery, as they have better "rebound" & often a LOT more recharge cycles, too

just my opinion, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:battery 12 years 2 months ago #65889

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
According to legend Marine batteries along with the deep cycle they are also built a little more solid inside to be able to take the pounding you get in a boat, but that could be an urban legend to justify the extra cost ??

Re:battery 12 years 2 months ago #65895

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good advise given here Floyd, and good on ya for asking ahead of time (before buying). I believe the marine batteries are built a little tougher inside as Rick stated, the golf cart batteries would be of similar design I would think. Bruce G also reports that wheel chair batteries are excellent choices as they are made for repeated discharges, and very light.

One word of caution, avoid running "maintenance free", AGM or "gel" batteries on older outboards without a voltage regulator! The overcharge (16+ volts) will cause them an early demise reportedly. (I believe the reports, they were from very credible boating members here based on experience.)

Mark

Re:battery 12 years 2 months ago #65905

A couple of other things: If you are running bilge pumps or other standby stuff, you might need a larger battery. If you are only starting an outboard and running lights, you don't need quite as much power. Also, I go 4 years out of the battery on my boat (no standby stuff). It held a charge, but lost cranking power. Bought a load tester at Harbor Freight and got the bad news.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT