Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 57 Herters Flying Fish Restore

57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #65863

Hello all, I started restoration on a 57' Herters Flying Fish, by chance a ran into a member of this site doing some work at his house and he told me to join this site especially if i needed any help. This is my first attempt at restoring a boat. I have the boat split in 2, (top and bottom) and have most of filler work done at this point. The top was severly warp from being stored upside down for so many years so it took a little time filling and sanding to get all the warps out. Because this is my first time any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreicate. I will try to post pics soon.

Thanks
Anthony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #65865

Anthony, Welcome.

Sounds like a good project. But its kind of like describing a painting over the radio, it just doesn't do it justice.

Please post some pics so we can join you while you restore your Herters.
Attachments:

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #65868

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Anthony, you piqued my interest. Although I've been off this site for a few weeks, vacation, your Herters flying fish headline caught my attention. If you go to members projects you can see what I did with my '59 Herters rebuild. I wanted to show it this coming weekend at a local show in Door County, WI. but circumstances of work put the kee-bosh on that, besides the boat is still at the Merc dealer getting the motor tuned up.
I thought of going original but after repairing all the damage I started putting my own ideas into it.
Please post lotsa pictures, we love pictures and don't be afraid to ask for advice or ideas.
Welcome aboard.
Cal
You don't have to be crazy to restore a Herters but it helps.
Attachments:

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #65879

weome anthony,im glad you showed up,i told ya these are great folks.
and cal "63 sabre) is the guy i was telling you about,he did a beautiful on his 1959.

folks ,anthony worked on mt tv sattelite,and saw my 59 flying fish among others in my yard and we started talking boats,lol,he said he had a 57 flying fish,so we spent some time talkin about it,that was awhile ago,and i was pleasently supprised when he called asking advise.
he could'nt be at a better place than here for great advise from great folks,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re: 57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #65888

alzambotti,

WELCOME to the group!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #65939

Welcome aboard and I hope you have plenty of room because once you start you can't stop :)

Bob

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #65948

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Glad you can join us. This is a great site for sure.

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #65962

Welcome aboard. I'm in Kittanning area.

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66067

1st attempt at loading some pictures

This boat was stored for over 30 years upside down in the yard at my camp before i decided to drag it home and start working on it. The front decking especially had some pretty good cracking and some caved parts that made for a lot of gradual filling and sanding to bring back to a smooth even surface, the bottom has had very little done to it so far outside of taking off some of the aluminum accents on it.
Attachments:

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66071

anthony good to see your progress,if you have questions ,let them rip,alot of great folks here to help you out,by the way how far are you from me?john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66072

by the way,this was bob beers boat,it had original plaid seats,this is all original,the boat beside it is ron v's manta ray,im sure he has more pics of bob's boat to help you out,john if you click on the pics they will get bigger.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66082

Hey John when are you selling me that fish? :woohoo:

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66086

John
I'm out in shelocta, so prob about 25 minute ride or so. Hoping to get some work done on the bottom this weekend. Its not in to bad of shape. Just a few fill spots on cracks and pit holes

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66089

Welcome to the site. You have a headstart on a few guys on here that split their boats port and starboard. Have fun!

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66104

robert i just posted about it.
anthony stop by whenever ya want,just call 1st to make sure im home,lol,if i can help let me know,john

---Mark Twain

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66106

Now that's a set of fins!
Attachments:

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66134

pic's of bob beers flyin fish... : :: :
Attachments:

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66160

That fish looks great, now i know what i need to shot for mine to look like. little to hot and humid today to get much work done on it. Ripped everything out of the hull this evening and cleaned all the dirt and mold off of it. Prob start patching some holes next week. Was getting close to dark by the time I snapped a few pics so they aren't the greatest of quality.
Attachments:

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66301

Fiberglassed the old revit holes on the hull of the boat this even to give a little reinforcement as well as a backing to patch the holes.

So my first major question is I see many people are making a wood backing on the transom where the motor mounts are. Is that something that is recommended or not. I inspected the metal that is back there and everything appears to be in really good shape as and there are no breaks in the support arm that comes off the back into the bottom of the boat. So looking for a little advice on whether that will be strong enough or you guys recommend redoing with plywood and glassing over it
Attachments:

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66320

anthony,if i am right,and thats a big IF,then the aluminum transom is honey combed in side,at least it is on mt 59 flying fish.

to be honest with you i would have to see it in person to give much advise.

if you add thickness with wood,will it hurt putting the deck back on?

i saw in the other post you stopped by yesterday,we will be home most of today.

i would like to see your boat in person if thats ok?send directions,to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ,john

---Mark Twain

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66324

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Anthony, when I redid my Herters the back transom bracing was cracked and full of holes drilled in from the PO. I had no choice but to replace the entirre transom. I made a pattern from cardboard and then cut 2 pieces of 3/4" treated plywood, sandwhiched them together with glass and then glassed that to the transom. It is now about 2" thick and strong as an ox. I did have to modify the motor well to accomodate the extra width of the transom. If you follow the string on the 59 Herters rebuild you can see how this was done.
Cal

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66336

Thanks for the input so far guys, I appreciate it.

John,
I'm working in my office today but anytime you want to stop by and take a look at it feel free. Just give me a ring i'm usually around most evenings

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66340

anthony,if you do a restoration like cals,you will have a fantastic boat,cal's was unbeilvable,absolutly stunning.john

---Mark Twain

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66351

I'm trying to find a trailer to get started working on as well. A lot that i'm finding do not have titles for the trailers. Has anyone in pa ever been able to register a trailer without having a title?

John if i do have as well as Cal did on his boat i will be more than satisfied with it, your right he did an amazing job on it

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 2 months ago #66355

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
PHOTOSHOP!
:)

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 1 month ago #68621

Been a little mia for a few weeks. That thing called work got me for a little. Been tinkering with cleaning up some of the metal. Sprayed on 2 coats of hi build primer to the hull this evening but not satisfied with how its covering. May try rolling the a 3rd coat. Any suggestions.

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 1 month ago #68635

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Anthony, If your fish is like mine was it is full of pit holes, either a bad mold or just age eating away at the gelcoat. Anyway after all the high build primer I applied and sanded I still found pits after the final paint job. Spraying didn't seem to help. I rolled/brushed the final coat on but you really gotta work fast with that stuff because once you add the catalyst she starts to set up. I used cheap throw away brushes. Lots of sanding after.
Cal

Re:57 Herters Flying Fish Restore 12 years 1 month ago #68644

Cal,
you are absolutely right, A ton of pit holes throughout the boat. From what the paint shop told me they thought the primer would fill it in pretty well but so far not satisfied with the results so i thinking rolling and a paint brush may be the better option for me, thanks for the input i'll keep you posted on how it turns out

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online