Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ? about fiberglass with cracks in it

? about fiberglass with cracks in it 12 years 2 months ago #65786

hello again, as some know im restoring a 1959 larson thunderhawk. as suggested i another thread i started sanding down the boat and getting out the cracks in the gel coat. the problem i'mn starting to see is that it looks like the cracks go all the way through and into the fiberglass. so what im worried about is the cracks resurfacing through the new paint. i do plan to do as another member recommended and spay it with a few coats of evercoat slick sand then a good primer and finally good paint and clear coat. will they reappear.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:? about fiberglass with cracks in it 12 years 2 months ago #65787

pix
Attachments:

Re:? about fiberglass with cracks in it 12 years 2 months ago #65788

pix
Attachments:

Re:? about fiberglass with cracks in it 12 years 2 months ago #65790

I'm almost finished with one that was much worst than this. I sanded to the fiberglass mat on most of it. The mat on the top of the boat is very thin and the gel very thick. On what I didn't sand out I filled with resin and some regular body filler. The hull although not in as bad of shape was easier than the top. My fiberglass mat is stained where the paint used in previous repairs bleed through. I'm hoping it turns out OK but I'll just fish from it so if nothing else I have a ton of time into it. Yes it can be repaired and there are different ways and opinions. Since mine had about three failed repair /paint jobs I decided to go to the mat. I just put the three last primer coats on it. I'll sand it off and paint. This was the edge of the gunwales so you can see how thick the gel and failed paint was.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online