• Page:

TOPIC: Done w/ my '57 Crosby

Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65641

• bseguin
  • bseguin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Not sure if this should be in Member Projects or not, but I'll post here. I finally finished the varnishing job on my 1957 Crosby Capri that I started last fall. While I was at it, I added new window moulding, rubrail and step pads. I was able to re-use the original red insert for the rubrail. I also added two vintage Airguide gauges (clock and barometer) to compliment the original speedo. I color matched the original interior seafoam paint. I didn't paint the steering wheel because the patina on it was made by my dad and grandpa. Couldn't bear to touch it. I would really like to thank everybody who chipped in to help me out with advice and parts (Cal, your Buegler pinstripe kit will be on the way soon!. I really had no idea what I was doing as I have never done any kind of boat restoration before, but with all your help, I got 8 coats of Captain's/and Epiphanes varnish on it, fixed two pretty big sections of wet rot under the rub rail, and painted new stripes on it. Here are some pics of mid sanding and some final shots.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65642

That is a sharp looking boat. Well done I'd say.
Attachments:

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65647

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Perfect. Beautiful.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65648

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Awesome job Brian, she turned out beautifully! I think your Dad and Grandpa would be proud of you. ;)

Mark

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65650

sweet! nice work!

Andreas

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65653

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Great job. I'm just getting back started on my '59. Seeing yours is good impetus. Thanks.

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65658

it was well worth the work,just fantastic,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65664

I'd park that in my living room it's so nice. ;)

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65679

Brian, she's absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!! How did you like using the Epiphanes? Did you end up rolling and tipping or brushing?

Bob

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65680

Wow! Looks great, I am just getting back on my 59 Seaquin, haven't touched it in 7 yrs. Great motivation seeing yours...!

Interestingly my deck is the same colour as your interior hull...

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65693

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Bob, I have to say I really liked the Epiphanes over the Captain's. It layed out nicer, looked glossier when it dried, and didn't produce near as much strong fumes in my garage when I was varnishing. The Captain's was really strong. Just my opinion, as I'm certainly no expert. As far as application, I used Wooster foam brushes for all of it.
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65746

Yep agree with the Epiphanes, i liked it too. I'll have to remember the Wooster foam brushes.

Bob

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65794

OH WOW!!! That was my very first boat!!!! 16 years old back in 1966. Sure wish I could find one in Oklahoma. Nice job on the restoration. What motor do you have? I'm ENVIOUS!!!!

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65803

After working with wood for over 41 years, only one word comes to mind. Fabulous! :)

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65837

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
MyFlamingo wrote:

OH WOW!!! That was my very first boat!!!! 16 years old back in 1966. Sure wish I could find one in Oklahoma. Nice job on the restoration. What motor do you have? I'm ENVIOUS!!!!

Flamingo,

The motor is not original. It originally had a 35hp Evirude Lark that smoked, and leaked oil, and died all the time. I remember my dad cussing at that thing all the time when I was a kid when it would cut out while were out on Midwestern lakes. I know nothing about motors or how to fix them, so when I when I was ready to put the Crosby back in the water a few years back after it sat for 25 years in the garage, I went into a marine/boat shop and told the salesman, "I want a motor that starts every time I turn the key." He sold me a 40hp Evinrude E-Tec. It isn't "period" but man do I love that thing. It's quiet, great on gas, starts every time on the first turn of the key. It doesn't look too bad back there either; it's not all flashy with stickers. Pretty low key. I'll try to get a pic posted of it.

Brian

Re: Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65848

bseguin,

PURTY BOAT = CONGRADS on a GREAT finsh!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65919

bseguin wrote:

MyFlamingo wrote:

Flamingo,

The motor is not original. It originally had a 35hp Evirude Lark that smoked, and leaked oil, and died all the time. I remember my dad cussing at that thing all the time when I was a kid when it would cut out while were out on Midwestern lakes. I know nothing about motors or how to fix them, so when I when I was ready to put the Crosby back in the water a few years back after it sat for 25 years in the garage, I went into a marine/boat shop and told the salesman, "I want a motor that starts every time I turn the key." He sold me a 40hp Evinrude E-Tec. It isn't "period" but man do I love that thing. It's quiet, great on gas, starts every time on the first turn of the key. It doesn't look too bad back there either; it's not all flashy with stickers. Pretty low key. I'll try to get a pic posted of it.

Brian

OMG, That is the EXACT motor my boat had. It ran great when I owned ran it for two summers when I was 16 and 17. Really wasn't MINE. Was my uncles, but he never used it, so I kinda fixed her up and used it in the summers with my friends and we had a blast. I actually learned how to ski behind her. We had to get up on two and then kick off one to slalom ski. Had a lot of fun with that old boat. I want to restore one some day if I live long enough. Your's sure brought back memories. Thanks for posting.

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 12 years 2 months ago #65928

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Beautiful restoration. Lots to be proud of there!

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 11 years 2 months ago #80688

Love the finished Crosby. It reminds me of a boat my aunt bought i believe in 1957. The boat now is in pretty poor condition but i have the original black and white interior with snaps that came with the boat. It was used for only 1 or 2 years and then pulled out and put in the attic at the cottage at lauderdale lakes in wisconsin. i just pulled it out and it looks like new except for some water stains on the back. I am new to this site so not sure i would get a reply. You can reach me at my cell (619)818-0926.

Re:Done w/ my '57 Crosby 11 years 2 months ago #80703

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
WOW!! Just a beautiful restoration.

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login