Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: WHAT IS PEANUT BUTTER? no jokes, haha

WHAT IS PEANUT BUTTER? no jokes, haha 12 years 2 months ago #65316

i'm checking out videos on youtube and other post on the site and they keep saying things like "filled it with peanut butter". What is peanut butter because so far no one has said what it is in there video other than the word "peanut butter". thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:WHAT IS PEANUT BUTTER? no jokes, haha 12 years 2 months ago #65317

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
No jokes? You're taking all the fun out of it now! Ha Ha

Peanut butter is resin thickened to the same consistency as peanut butter. It's used for various things like bedding stringers, transom, floors, etc... Here's a video that explains one version of how to make it;

(Excellent series of videos on that channel for boat restoration or renovation, btw.)

Mark

Re:WHAT IS PEANUT BUTTER? no jokes, haha 12 years 2 months ago #65328

Boozer,

Good question! I want to know also but just never summoned up the courage to ask. :unsure:

Now that Mark explained it. I feel like I am one of the cool guys now. B)

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:WHAT IS PEANUT BUTTER? no jokes, haha 12 years 2 months ago #65347

Back in my boat building days ( way back) , we used cabosil powder for thickening resin, and talc powder for making resin putty. More recently, I've tried polyester body putty with reinforcing fibers in it, but I found it difficult to work with. As for the " peanut butter" terminology, I've never used it. However, it seems to me that " extra crunchy" is thicker than " smooth", so we must use some precision here !

Re: WHAT IS PEANUT BUTTER? no jokes, haha 12 years 2 months ago #65380

boozer,

i came to the GLASSIC hobby from the wooden boat hobby & "Dynamite" Payson coined the term "peanut butter" in the beginning of the "roll your own" boat revival of the 1960s to "name" a "creamy peanut butter" consistency of epoxy resin mixed with a "thickener" of some kind.
(Dynamite", whom i KNOW, frequently correspond with & count as a friend, still uses wheat flour or sawdust with the cheapest,"name-brand epoxy resin" that he can find to make his "mixture" for "stitch & glue" wood boats. - wheat flour, sawdust or "wood flour" works well for him.- he is, after all, a CHEAPSKATE from ME.)

personally, i've used "NO-NAME industrial bulk epoxy" resin (i'm "a LITTLE cheaper" than Dynamite!), hardner & agricultural, pulverized lime, from the farm supply store, for EVERY job of that sort. it hasn't failed me yet.= generally, i "brush on" a coat of UNTHICKEND EPOXY, first & then "trowl on" the peanut butter.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:WHAT IS PEANUT BUTTER? no jokes, haha 12 years 2 months ago #65426

thanks guys and just want to say i've watched a ton of that guys(friscojarretts) videos on youtube and i never saw this one, so thanks again to all.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online