Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Never too old or seasoned to be stupid!

Never too old or seasoned to be stupid! 12 years 2 months ago #65178

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Well the Ajax trailer got her christeneing dip today along with the Clippers first dip of the year! After putting on the new bearing protectors, new prop for the Fatty and the Fiberglassics sticker to make her official we set out for the launch ramp. Oh yeah, two tanks of gas in the old cruise-a-days and two of the new Moeller tanks, really wanted to get my time in her. Actually everything went real well on the launch. Got her started pulled away and off we went. Wanted to run through the two metal tanks as they were a little gunky even with the new gas, hence the two new tanks. Half way through the first tank the "fun" began, heard a weird rattling noise. Remembered I forgot to tighten the screws down on the connector box. Did than and finished off tank one fine. Went to switch to tank two and in the process of switching the tank over my swim short right leg was hitting the metal check valve probe coming out of the brass Evinrude connector on one of the new Moeller tanks, it didn't fit in the back with the other three and the battery, it procveeded to squirt gas all over my swim suit, leg and tank! Doh, dumbass!!!!!!!!!! Well crouched down in the front on the bench seat and gave the suit to the wife to wash out in Potomac River!

Got going and tank two didn't want to run right, thought it was just because it may have been gunky, throttled back and proceeded on with no problems. Made it to a friends house that we wanted to go by and see now that it was done, lives in Breton Bay in Leanardtown MD. Stayed for a while and went to leave and the starter problem reared it's ugly head again. Didn't want to start, turned the key and nothing. Good solenoid too!!! So did the old jumper trick from the starter to the good side of the solenoid and off we went. Beat the heck out of the old clipper on our way back as the chop was about a foot and we were at 3/4 throttle skipping across the tops, Woo Hoo!!!!! Got to St Georges Islnd bridge, where we launch from and cut through to go somewhere to get dinner. Emptied the second tank finally and switched to one of the new ones.

Thought we were fine and it started to act up, backing down from full throttle without me hittle the throttle lever. Made it to where we THOUGHT we were going to eat and the kitchen closed at 6:00PM, it was 6:45! Left and headed back to a place close to the launch, on the way she acted up again. Actually over reveed like at full throttle but not in gear! I throttled back and pulled her into neutral. Engine died, had to jump her again but she didn't want to start. Now I'm floating, being pushed into shallow water where all the tall seaweed is. Had tried opening the vent on the new tank thinking maybe it was vapor locked or something, no joy. Squeezed the heck out of the bulb, nothing. Switched to the old tank that had a little left in it. She finally started but wouldn't go past about half throttle, speed wise, even though I had her wide open. Oh by the way she did her high rev, no speed thing again without any imput from me.

Finally was able to limp her back to the ramp but couldn't get her out of forward gear. Aft rope was on the wrong side and had to throttle back to nothing and have the wife steer in a circle to change the rope over to the port side. Cut the throttle and hoped for the best coming into the ramp. came in a little fast but that's what the rub rail is for right!?!!? No harm done. Got her on the trailer finally after four tries of backing the trailer in. Had trouble with reverse on the damn truck now, only 48k miles on her and she's a 2008. Seemed to lurch backwards, rev, nothing then jump backwards. Have to look at the trani fluid tomorrow and look at the brakes since they started sqealing with the lurching backwards!

Got home with no issues, finally. Got her washed down and the Fatty lower into the water tank to flush her. Took the cover off to also to see if anything wierd was going on with the fuel in the bowl. Did the jump start thing again and that's when I noticed the bowl only half full and wouldn't get any fuller with pumps from the bulb. That's also when I noticed the damn fuel line connector to the front of the cowling wasn't seated all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since it comes in under the steering bar at center, it's very close to the bar and can rub a little. Apparently it got knocked loose from some of the full turns a did earlier in the day and I didn't check it. That explains the lurching and acting funny switching tanks etc. By the way, damn gear case came in and out of gear just fine after that!!!!!!!!!!!

Lessons learned, always know your suroundings, situational awareness (tank and swim suit issue), bring extra suit just in case; make sure starter works every time (jump starting in front of friend who hasn't seen your new restored boat isn't impressive); always check your fuel lines and connections if your having a problem!

Sorry it's so long but a good story and some good lessons learned. Now to just figure out why it revved and why the starter is acting up again. Those will be in the JEGO forum.

Thanks for hanging until the end of this.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Never too old or seasoned to be stupid! 12 years 2 months ago #65191

Glad to see that you had a mostly good day on the water. At least you didn't have to be towed back to the dock. Thats mostly how my first day of the year on the water goes. Forgetting everything you shouldn't. Soo how did that trailer work out after all the work you put into it? Skip.

Re:Never too old or seasoned to be stupid! 12 years 2 months ago #65192

Well at least you weren't board. And you did make it home alive that's a plus too.

Next time bring along a small electric trolling motor. Once the boat and motor see you have a back up plan they will behave much better. Call me superstitious, but it works for me.

Oh yea, and maybe a small boxed lunch, just in case. LOL :laugh:

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:Never too old or seasoned to be stupid! 12 years 2 months ago #65205

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I've had a few of those "day at the lake" times,Bob. Quote (jump starting in front of friend who hasn't seen your new restored boat isn't impressive) or the motor doing it's infamous backfire when starting it while every one is watching just after they've complemented you on it. :laugh: That's why I never say it ran good until I've got her back on the trailer. :laugh: jim

Re:Never too old or seasoned to be stupid! 12 years 2 months ago #65210

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I see this as our version of putting a puzzle together. :laugh:

If everything worked well all the time.....what fun would that be?

For those of us who have old stuff because we love to tinker with it, I'm sure that all makes sense. It also creates great stories. Plus!! It is just so darn special when everything does finally work right.

For people who have no mechanical skills and hire a mechanic, I'll bet they are just horrified by stories like this.

BTW...do you think your parking brake might be hanging up on the truck? Or....did you forget to disable your trailer brakes for reverse movement?

Good luck next time out, we're all in this together!!!

Re:Never too old or seasoned to be stupid! 12 years 2 months ago #65217

Bob,

just like the bumper sticker says - "shit happens"

This sounds almost like a "normal" day for a lot of boaters, even if they are in a new boat. Good think you can tinker with it, because if not - you would have been stranded right away.

I personally believe that if you use a vintage boat & motor, you must be able to use hand tools and do basic trouble shooting. Otherwise, you are just taking too much of a risk.

Just 2 weeks ago I cooked my beautiful 1957 Evinrude Lark. I completely re sealed the lower unit with all new parts. For what ever reason, I forgot to tighten the screws on the water pump housing. After an hour of run time, the screws vibrated out & the housing could no longer seal - making the engine burn up. Totally my fault. so you see - it can happen to anyone.

As for the brakes on the truck - the squealing was probably just rust on the drums/discs. Bare cast iron discs/drums will rust right before your eyes if exposed to fresh or salt water. The rust will be scuffed away completely when the car is driven just a mile or two.

As for the engine starting problem - my money is on the Neutral safety switch. If the starter relay is the correct one, it will have two small terminals on the front. One goes to the "start" position on the ignition switch. The other goes to the safety switch on the engine. The safety switch then is connected to the engine block ground. The engine is supposed to be in neutral before the starter will operate. Did you have the engine in neutral when trying to start it? The switch could be out of adjustment, gumed up with crud, or failing. Be sure all the wiring and connections are in good shape.

Re:Never too old or seasoned to be stupid! 12 years 2 months ago #65257

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Skip, thanks, the trailer worked out great, about the only thing that worked right for the day! LOL

Jim/Littlefin thanks, always good to know your not a lone! ;) Hmm trolling motor eh?!?!? LOL

Jepstr, thanks, your right it is a puzzle that feels good to solve when your done but still sucks when it happens. Nope emergency brake wasn't on, looked and I don't have brakes on the trailer.

Bruce, very sorry to hear about the '57 Lark. Kind of surprised on the truck, hadn't heard any squeaking to this point. Tried looking at the drums today but couldn't get the darn things off! For some reason they look like they need a puller, first time I've ever seen that on drum brakes. As for the switch, checked it last time it happened and it was fine. Looked at it again today and looks fine position wise and still sounds good clicking wise. Didn't check it agin with the meter, will try tomorrow.

Bob

Re:Never too old or seasoned to be stupid! 12 years 2 months ago #65265

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Bob
Glad to hear you got back ok. I am with Bruce, using the old stuff is the neatest, but you have to get your hands dirty making the old
stuff go once in a while.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Never too old or seasoned to be stupid! 12 years 2 months ago #65298

yep bob, trolling motor,lol,if you have room on board ,i have had to use it a few times to get back to the dock,lol,its hard to row these darn boats,lol.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Never too old or seasoned to be stupid! 12 years 2 months ago #65338

I agree Bruce and Neil, the old stuff does take a touch to get them to perform. I fixed up my first car @ 14 and used it to explore rural Arizona in the mid 70's ( when it was the frontier) Kind of gave a good feeling when things worked and a better feeling when they did not and with your skill you made it back home instead of sleeping in the desert. Next week I'll see if I spend the night in the middle of Table Rock Lake LOL

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online