Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Botved Coronet Hits The Water

Botved Coronet Hits The Water 12 years 2 months ago #65160

Well today was the day here in Pittsburgh, PA. It was a beautiful sunny 85 degree day with a slight breeze and moderate humidity (87%). My buddy Frostie and I got busy on the Botved Coronet.
This boat sat in the corner of a building for almost 27 years waiting for someone to come along and take her home (me). We brought her home last fall waiting for the day when we could finally get her going or at least try to. Today was that day.

Opened up the boat, removed the engine cover and had a look see.

Drained the oil and replaced it with new.

Cleaned the spark arrestor.

Pulled the fuel line and drained the tank. It had about 8 gallons of 27 year old gas in it and it took about two hours to drain it all. The fuel line is probably 8mm. spliced a piece into it and ran it out the spring loaded drain plug hole into a 5 gallon safety can/ Man it seemed like it took forever.

Pulled the glass bowl off of the fuel pump, cleaned the screen and scrubbed the base to remove a lot of old sediment.

Reattached the fuel line but first we put a modern see through fuel filter in the line itself below the floorboards to supplement the old glass bowl style filter on the top of the fuel pump. Put about 3 gallons of fresh fuel in the tank.

Attached a garden hose to the water pump intake (the headphones would not work since the water pickup was located at the bottom of the boat).

Turned the water on and we had a lead in the starboard side of the engine. Seems that wen it was last winterized 27 year ago the petcock had been removed and not replaced. Frostie was able to find a brass bolt that was short enough and had the right threads to suffice. Once installed no problemo.

Installed the battery.

Frostie went up front and turned the key on and engaged the starter. A few coughs and pops and the old girl fired right up. A little rough for the first 20 seconds and then she she settled into about an 1100 RPM idle without the choke being engaged.

Oil pressure went right to 60PSI and settled in at about 52PSI once the oil warmed up and thinned out a bit.

Temperature came up real nice too well within the safe range and a bit on the low side to boot.

Frostie adjusted the screws on the carb and the idle settled in at about 600-700 RPM with no choke involved.

The little 1600 CC Volvo motor just ran as smooth as glass.

We ran her for about 20 minutes and shut her down.

Hooked her up the the Silverado and headed about 3 miles down the road the the Ohio River.

Got to the launch and sat her behind in the water. Solid as a rock, no water in the boat and we all know that is a very good thing.
I parked the truck while Frostie warmed her up a bit. The plan was for him to take her out while i stayed on the dock and took some video of her on the water. I did that and I will be posting video once I convert it from analog to digital format. I have video of Frostie moving along at about 35 MPH with the Botved planing along nicely.

There were a lot of people in the parking lot and on the launch area and they all were making comments about how cool she was and they wanted to know what year she was and what make. Lots of compliments on her even though she needs a good cleaning, paint and the plexiglass windshield and side windows replaced.

Frostie came to the dock and I got on board and I got my chance to drive her. She was fantastic. Having been awakened from a 27 year nap she performed like a champ.

All in all though a very good day and a lot of fun for me, Frostie and for her. Just awesome!!!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Botved Coronet Hits The Water 12 years 2 months ago #65169

I want to be the first to welcome you since I played in the water you took your ride in first. I'm just north in Kittanning. Good story.

Re:Botved Coronet Hits The Water 12 years 2 months ago #65173

Now ain't that just something to smile about!
Attachments:

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re: Botved Coronet Hits The Water 12 years 2 months ago #65186

auravoodoo,

PURTY BOAT & WELCOME to the forum.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Botved Coronet Hits The Water 12 years 2 months ago #65225

Hi Robert,
Thank you it was a blast. Perhaps we will cross paths someday. I live on the North Shore about 4 blocks from PNC Park

Re:Botved Coronet Hits The Water 12 years 2 months ago #65226

Hi littlefin,
It certainly was, I'm still smiling today

Re: Botved Coronet Hits The Water 12 years 2 months ago #65227

Thanks Satx,
Great to be here

Re: Botved Coronet Hits The Water 12 years 2 months ago #65238

Shucks just was down there a few weeks ago for the Carnegie Science Center and the Requin. I posted pics in the awesome boats pics at the top. I'm sure you been there.
Attachments:

Re: Botved Coronet Hits The Water 12 years 2 months ago #65239

Been there done that with my kids a few years ago. I can ride my bike down there on the trail. I live one block off the Allegheny river. It kind of spooked me out being inside and feeling that very light rocking motion and a bit of disorientation caused by it. Can't imagine going to sea in one of those boats, brave men one and all.

Re: Botved Coronet Hits The Water 12 years 2 months ago #65242

Too bad you didn't have her ready for the regatta. I bet she would have turned some heads then. That is the weekend we were down there. Grand kids had a blast. I enjoyed the Guitars too.

Re:Botved Coronet Hits The Water 12 years 2 months ago #65245

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Wonderful story, thanks for sharing. Hope every launching is as successful!

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re: Botved Coronet Hits The Water 12 years 2 months ago #65461

I appreciate the follow-up. Can't wait to see the vids. Thank you for bringing Botved back into life, stateside.

Re: Botved Coronet Hits The Water 12 years 2 months ago #65462

I appreciate the follow-up. Can't wait to see the vids. Thank you for bringing Botved back into life, stateside.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online