Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A few dumb questions

A few dumb questions 12 years 2 months ago #64917

I am down to decarbing my 43.7 hp mccolough 1961. I am checking the battery voltage non started and running. Not running I'm getting 12.6 V running I'm getting 12.8 Is this a regulated system ( like if I put a discharged battery on it would be higher ) or is the stator not putting out? Has new rectifier. To check the output should I read on the ac scale from ground to each output or both outputs to check charging stator. All the info on the web stated if bad stator the motor would have no spark, This must refer to a cd ignition?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:A few dumb questions 12 years 2 months ago #64918

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Is the engine equipped with a generator? Not all were.

Edit... There are no dumb questions!!

Re:A few dumb questions 12 years 2 months ago #64922

No, just magnets in flywheel, with stator running into recifier then out of retifier into ignition circuit. With further testing I'm getting 7.1 VAC from ground to both outputs from stator and 14.1 on both outputs. But only 13.1 VDC at battery now. With 14 VDC and ignition circuit measuted at motor terminal block. I am just wondering if this is enough to keep a battery charged, or should it be higher? Thanks for the responses

Re:A few dumb questions 12 years 2 months ago #64931

If I remember right. Anything above 12.6 is good. To see it go higher try turning on the lights or other devises, you should see a jump to higher voltage when it has a draw on it.

14.0 Volts shows it is working.

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:A few dumb questions 12 years 2 months ago #64933

Hey thanks all, it did seem to be working. But when reading other posts, seems 18DCV seems right. I guess I was expecting a 14DCV at the batt at idle and a 16VDC at advanced throttle. The reason Iwas concerned is.... This is my first boat project, and it is getting down to taking her out for a short maiden trip. Kind of second guessing myself. After fixing everything she does start on the second turn, even if sitting for weeks. I can run her in a test tank off and on for months. Still just a bit apprehensive to take her out in a lake and see the 'fruits of my labor' LOL

Re:A few dumb questions 12 years 2 months ago #64958

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sounds to me like you're good to go AZ, if the voltage increases when the motor is running then the "flywheel alternator" (magnets and stator under the flywheel) is putting out juice. It's been my experience that even at fast idle they won't put out the same amount of voltage you will see when running at cruising speed. That's when you'll likely see the 16V+ you're looking for.

A little apprehension before the maiden voyage is normal! Heck I even feel it if I haven't been out on the water for a few weeks. :laugh:

Mark

Re:A few dumb questions 12 years 2 months ago #64962

az,i cant answer your pretty smart question,with my dunb answer (i dont have an answer,lol),but what i do is take a trolling motor with an extra battery with me just in case i have motor trouble,just a suggestion.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:A few dumb questions 12 years 2 months ago #64972

No dumb question ever. It is a question that needs an answer. Going without finding the answer is dumb. I have a Bolens tractor tha would not run without a battery. I had to charge it since a wire was off the generator and needs some rewiring work I just have not had the time to do. Well I looked into it because everybody knows a small engine should run without a battery. WRONG. On the type of ignition system on some of the old Wisconsin engines you needed the battery because the engine itself makes no current. How dumb I felt.Hey it's old and ugly but runs like a Banshee and tills great. I use it every year.
Attachments:

Re:A few dumb questions 12 years 2 months ago #65020

Thanks all again for the help, I think I will the final touches this weekend, if the heat will break a little, and buy a video camera for the week after when I take her to Table Rock Lake. Maybe with some video I'll have evidence of the crime if she sinks and pollutes the water. I'm thinking about signing up for sea tow, they have a outlet on the lake. Thanks again

Re:A few dumb questions 12 years 2 months ago #65024

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
HA! Ya can't beat, a old "beater"! I bought a USED, Snapper "Comet"
rider in 1986. That sucker just won't QUIT! Goes through foot tall
grass no problem. Been through a few drive disc, and after the 26
YEARS, the blade drive belt finally snapped in two. $30, and ready for another 26 years! They don't make them like they used too! OK me, as new NOT needed!

And the "do what ya gotta do to make it run"? Before I went to Nam after HS in 69, had a 650 Triumph bike. Had a Magneto, so no need for anything to run the motor. Had the generator, batt, for the lights. Well, of course "Lucas, Prince of Darkness", electrics. Gen's would go bad, and long story short, one day I let all the smoke out the wires. Said the hell with it, ripped everything out, and just ran a straight lights, off the battery. Had about a 3 hour window, for riding at night, and get home. Lotta fun back then, a stupid kid! Pic my old Snapper. And those tanks in the rear? I have a big set in the shop, and a small tank portable too. But got this for $100 a G Sale. BIG Acet tank, has 190 LBS, and the OXY was M/T. $27 a fill. New hose came with it, and I have a extra set of gauges. Not a bad deal for $127! Sorry if the long story, but I simple like old stuff, that will, and still does "work"!
Attachments:

Re:A few dumb questions 12 years 2 months ago #65025

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Also, forgot to mention, the Snapper..see the trailer ball I mounted on the front, right side? GREAT for moving some my trailers, and lighter boats around! (Never stop thinking!)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online