Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Winner Windshield, What to do?

Winner Windshield, What to do? 12 years 2 months ago #64807

I was going to just delete the windshield but I just cleaned it up. I has been sitting in a dark place since I took it off about 4 years ago. It is not that yellowed at all and has a small crack around one mounting point. How hard is it to cut these down in height. It does bow back in the middle some. Plastic trim is easy but I'd like to made it stronger if I use it at stock height. I'm cleaning my hardware so I know what holes I'm filling up now. Someone drilled holes here and there and everywhere. Ahh The grass is brown so you cannot really see the slight yellow. Even the rubber gasket on the bottom is supple. It is soaking in soapy water right now. I got to scrub it. It is just sitting where it goes. The bend is not as bad as I remembered. I did not polish it yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Winner Windshield, What to do? 12 years 2 months ago #64819

Robert,

Get some "welding" solvent (glue) for those cracks. The stuff is thin like solvent, and it evaporates very fast. It essentially fuses the plastic together. If you have a plastics fabrication shop in your town, go to them and ask to purchase a squeeze bottle of it. Gonna cost about 8 bucks. The bottle holds about an ounce of the stuff, and it has a needle-like applicator on it. Clean the cracked area best as you can with dish soap and spray it out with water. Let the crack completly dry out by forgetting about the windshield for a day or so. Then take the plexi glue and weld the crack. The glue will be drawn into the crack by surface tension of the solvent. Place the needle tip at the end of the crack and drag it along the length of the crack while dispensing just enough glue to fill it. Don't be too stingy with the glue - but don't get carried away, either. If there are any drips or runs, immediately wipe them away with a cloth rag. Do not use a paper towel. Use a single wiping motion in one direction. Do not rub. It is a good idea to do this from both the front and back of the windshield, to be sure the crack is completely wetted out. If you can tilt the plexi to get the help of Newton's Law, do it. Once the cracks are welded, leave it alone for a day. Come back and use light rubbinbg compound or plexi restorer & the cracks will hardly be noticeable. Don't drill "crack stopping")holes at the end of the cracks - that old trick has never worked for me or anyone that I know who has tried it. You can make a replacement windshield out of Lexan - it can be cold bent. As for the top edge molding - I have been trying to find a source of the correct material for some time now. So far, the best bet I have found is to find an old trim from another doner boat with a similar windshield.

Re:Winner Windshield, What to do? 12 years 2 months ago #64820

I'm leaving the windshield set on the boat while I decide what I want to do. I like it without a windshield, I like what I think it would look with it cut down to 6-8 inch, and it's growing on me the way it was. My anchor is heavy and it will be hard to set if not in place on the bow. A heavy mushroom anchor works best where I fish. Decisions decisions. :unsure: It will also keep Babe off the bow. Yes she wants up there.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online