Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout?

Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 14 years 4 months ago #6480

I picked up this little boat last summer for my young boys. I was told then that it was most likely a Shell Lake, however I have never been entirely convinced. I have yet to see a picture of anything like it. I did find a boat for sale (would liked to have bought it but I wanted to remain married) that was obviously from the same builder, but to my dismay it had no markings either.

The key features here are the double cockpit with the half round motor well. It has "planks" molded into the deck which I highlighted with the new paint job. There are small (about 2" high) fins at the rear of the deck. Also there are no strakes in the hull. It is a smooth sheer from waterline to gunwale. And the transom has a bit of a "barrel" to it.

Here are some pics that may help. Thanks. -ZD

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 14 years 4 months ago #6484

Can't help you on the make of this boaty, but it sure is a beauty! Very nice lines and I love the color combo.

Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 14 years 4 months ago #6490

Thanks for the compliment. Here's a link to some pics of the work we've been doing on the boat...
picasaweb.google.com/zdrathman/ShellLakeRestoration?feat=directlink

It's still needs some paint in places, a few more slats on the bench seats, the chrome and the motor. Then it's in to the water she goes!

Re:Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 14 years 4 months ago #6498

The cockpits and motor cut out look similar to the 1956 Shell Lake Meteor model. There were no fins or even a hint of fins on the Meteor in the 1956 brochure, however. The decking is different as well. The Meteor came in lengths 14'-1 1/2" and 16'-4" and these were only offereed for one model year.

So, not sure if the Shell Lake ID is correct. Not sure what she is other than a beauty!

Andreas

Re:Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 14 years 4 months ago #6505

Here's a few pics of the similar boat I mentioned. No doubt about it, made by the same manufacturer.

Attachments:

Re:Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 14 years 4 months ago #6508

It's not like any Shell Lake I've ever seen. Considering you are 1/2 way across the country & found 2 similar boats, I'd say they are from the Pacific NW and not Shell Lake, WI.

Re:Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 14 years 4 months ago #6635

The walk-through centerdeck of the second boat posted is a key identifying feature. There's always the chance it could be a copy of another manufacturer's design, modified to make it just distinguishable. Give it a few days or weeks and someone will come up with the manufacturer. I think there was a similar boat posted and identified before in the old forum, but I can't find the thread or the photos.

Re:Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 14 years 4 months ago #6785

THAT"S MY BOAT!!!!!!!!!! The light blue with red cloth seats (?)

That is the boat that I just bought. The title says that it is a 1959 14' Johnson. The engine is a 1960 Sea King 35 HP "Big Twin" made for Montgomery Ward by Gale. I still can't get it to stay running longer than 30 seconds so I'm takin' her in for some "professional" assistance to get her on the water and movin'.

Re:Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 14 years 4 months ago #6947

Dustin,
Did you pick up your boat in Fife during the garage sale? I was there the day before thinking I would finally solve the mystery, but the boat had no markings on her. I almost bought her but I wasn't sure my marriage could take it.

So do you live in the area? -Zachary

Re:Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 14 years 4 months ago #7392

The following is something I saved from an old post here on the forum:

The boat was originally red but turned white somewhere along the way and will become blue this spring once it warms up a bit more.

The first I saw on the side of the boat as I walked in, light hit it just the right way. Had to use a flashlight to get it to appear in a picture, unless your looking for it you'd never see it. same on the other side as well.

“Johnson”

Then while searching the undersides of the deck I found these tags under the fiberglass.

Manufactured By
The Colotrym Company
Made In (USA?)

Re:Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 14 years 4 months ago #7397

Good lord Andy! You are handy!

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 14 years 4 months ago #7427

Port steering too!

Andreas

Re:Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 14 years 4 months ago #7463

I did some Google News Archive searches and newspaper Archive searches for COLOTRYM COMPANY.

I found that they were a Seattle based firm that made aluminum extrusions. Formed about 1946 by Franks Hobbs. Sold in 1964 to Futura Corp.of Boise, Idaho (they are still in business). They opened a new branch factory at Clearfield, Utah about 1976. Later that year they got hit with a $10,000 fine by the federal government for dumping nitric acid into the Great Salt Lake.

Could Colotrym have made fiberglass boats at one time? Maybe. Or did they make the aluminum parts for this boat in question? And the decal found was part of the alumunim parts of this boat??? These are great questions!

Andreas

Re:Is this a Shell Lake Boat Co. runabout? 13 years 10 months ago #20240

The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentI would say this is a fair ID: Johnson Sea-Craft of Everett, Washington: ebay# 250728210318

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6668 guests and no members online