Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Replacing Transom.........Wood OR Fiberglass

Replacing Transom.........Wood OR Fiberglass 12 years 2 months ago #64627

this is my first boat restoration and i plan to replace the transom. what i dont know is should i go with wood like it has or change to fiberglass like i've read in other post in the past. problem #2 is if i go fiberglass can i get it the thickness i need or do i have to build it up to the thickness i need and how do i go about that and where do i find the fiberglass sheets. thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Replacing Transom.........Wood OR Fiberglass 12 years 2 months ago #64628

pic 2
Attachments:

Re:Replacing Transom.........Wood OR Fiberglass 12 years 2 months ago #64629

pic 3
Attachments:

Re:Replacing Transom.........Wood OR Fiberglass 12 years 2 months ago #64630

boozer,

imVho, a transom made of MDO plywood (or even exterior grade plywood that is throughly sealed with unthickened epoxy), set in & coated with "peanut butter" made of cheap/industrial epoxy mixed with pulverized/agricultrial line (bought by the pound,from the farm supply store) will outlast the hull, so i see NO reason to spend what any of the other (MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE) substitutes.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Replacing Transom.........Wood OR Fiberglass 12 years 2 months ago #64639

Hi again Boozer :)

1/2 Plywood coated with resin then laminated together with glass until you get the correct thickness transom will outlast the boat although I'd use marine grade plywood as it has no knots or imperfections in the wood which will be a place for moisture to start it's rotting. You don't need that much wood for that transom so the extra cost isn't that much. If your going to go this route let me know I have the process well documented with pics. I've never seen a transom made just out of glass ( don't think it's done and would be heavy ), they do have composite materials and pourable transom's but for your application I'd think wood is the way to go....my 2 cents. Find a local glass supplier and they'll have all the proper resins and various fiberglass rolls ( you'll want more than 1 kind for different parts of your restoration )

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online