Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Steering cable part #

Steering cable part # 12 years 2 months ago #64545

I had my 1971 MFG Tri-hull with a 1970 Mercury 500 out on the lake yesterday, and right before we were getting ready to head back to the ramp, I lost steering control. When i took a closer look, i could see that the cable right where it connected to the control arm was splintered. Does anyone know where i can find a replacement cable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Steering cable part # 12 years 2 months ago #64549

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I think most of us will need more information. A photo will tell those that have the same brand of steering what it is and where to get parts. Also if you can find a name brand on it somewhere, that will help.

"cable" is also deceptive. Most of my boats have pulley and "cable" steering where some have a telescoping "cable" steering. I mistakenly used "Teleflex" as a term for the telescoping cable steering, but that appears to be a name brand and not a universal steering system.

Give us more to work with and I'm confident someone here will get you back on the lake ASAP.

Todd

Re:Steering cable part # 12 years 2 months ago #64561

I do know that it is not a cable and pulley steering system. I couldnt find any type of of brand name, but it was raining so i didnt want to have the boat uncovered for too long. The first picture is of the telescoping rod that pushes and pulls the motor, the sencond is the steering cable that splintered, and the third is the steering housing that is up under the dashboard.
Attachments:

Re:Steering cable part # 12 years 2 months ago #64586

anyone have any info on this?

Re:Steering cable part # 12 years 2 months ago #64603

Docstark, welcome to the group. Looks like you are going to need a new cable. The casing is shot and the cable has rusted in the rear of the boat where it goes into the tube . It is a teleflex system. You need to diconnect it from the motor. The end with the balljoint on it should screw off of the cable then you can pull it back through the metal tube. You will have to diconnect it from the control box also. After you get it disconnected you will need to measure the entire length of the cable. If you go to the teleflex website they will show what to measure. then you can just order one off the web or a local boat shop. Off the web will most likely be cheaper. Do not go shorter than the cable you have.The secrect to a long life for these cables is to make sure that they are properly lubed . You cannot repair these cables once they are shot.Well good luck on this and keep us posted, Skip.

Re:Steering cable part # 12 years 2 months ago #64612

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm still trying to figure out what kind of helm that is! (I know the pic is upside down shooting up under the dash, but I don't recognize it.) There may be a part number or at least a length stamped into the old cable on the metal sleeve on one end or the other, Doc. If not, there's some video on Jamestown Distributor's website that shows how to measure for a new one, how to install, etc.....
www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search.do?freeText=steering%20cable&resultPref=all&page=GRID&history=
PS - For safety's sake, I'd consider replacing the helm and cable at once with a "steering system". Then you won't have compatibility problems with the cable, and you will know your new helm will be safe and last for years to come. (If your cable is in that bad of shape, the helm probably isn't far behind?) Just a thought.

Mark

Re:Steering cable part # 12 years 2 months ago #64617

MarkS,
the picture isn't upside down. I was down on the floor looking up at it.

Skip,
thanks for the welcome.

and for all the info.

I found the part # 12 years 2 months ago #65059

I was finally had a chance to disconnect the steering cable from the rotary housing and the outboard. The cable is a Morse e63504 12ft, but i am having a hard time tracking down a replacement cable for it. The rotary housing and the gears still looks in real good shape, so i would rather not replace it if i didnt have to. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online