Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What do I have here? boat and outboard.

What do I have here? boat and outboard. 12 years 2 months ago #64440

Hi my name is Ian. Very cool and informative site.

This is my 3rd fiberglass classic but hopefully the first I will get to enjoy. I started with a herters mark V that needed a floor so I traded it off and picked up a dorsett custom 300 for free only to trade that off for my current glasspar.

From everything I can figure it is a glasspar Marathon. I am unsure on the year tho maybe a 60? any help on this would be great.

The number on the port side data plate reads :
14XP01###

Also the outboard... It runs like a banshee but is not pumping water so it needs an impeller or water pump. I need to ID what the heck it is first. It has no serial numbers I can find and no decals.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

here are some pictures

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: What do I have here? boat and outboard. 12 years 2 months ago #64441

Re:What do I have here? boat and outboard. 12 years 2 months ago #64444

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
.I, : WELCOME ,Good deal , my 1st guess on the motor is Chrysler..
They were also white. maybe 40 hp or 55 hp ..Had that slanted
hood seal... Maybe a plugged bug daubber next if they is a water squirt tell tail hole..?
The boat should be a 1960 as you mentioned . The ZERO, first # position is the indicator.. Unit # 1000 (?) of that year production . The "X" is the Primary model for that size , being 14 foot should be Marathon .. 13 was the G-3 & 16 =Citation ,, 17= SeaFair.. "P" should be the city of build Petersbourgh VIRGINIA.
Others would have been N=nashville A= Santa Anna , Calif. W= Washington state.Olympia I Believe.
Motor needs to have a tag somewhere on the housing , unless pried
off for stolen , etc.. ? Thermostat may be blocking water flow,(?) If Chrysler,, they had design thin passages, & easy to clog over time... Could be one of the clues , prior owner stopped using . ?
If the WINDSHIELD is a keeper you are ahead of the game.

Again CONGRATS..

Re:What do I have here? boat and outboard. 12 years 2 months ago #64449

Thanks for the info. I picked it up last summer and got it running but never in the water. The Guy I got it from said the old owners stopped using it because the ignition switch was changed. It had infact been replaced and alot of the wires were in the wrong spots causing the engine to not start. Also the starter solinoid was dead. I disconnected everything and jumped the starter and it fired right up.

He told me it was a chrystler 35hp but I did not want to give wrong info out. So that sounds about right. There is nothing on the motor as far as placards go unless they were painted over. I will look into the thermostat and the clogged tell tail. The lower end is leaking alittle gear oil so I might need to reseal it anyways.

Is it still fairly easy to get parts for these old motors? I actually did not even know chrystler outboards existed until buying this boat.

Thanks for the good tips.
I have a interesting paint job planned for this boat. Thinking of a 60's area hot rod paint job with a metalic lime green and flat black accents.... But who knows as of right now I just want to clean it up and then I will worry about paint once the prep is done.

Re:What do I have here? boat and outboard. 12 years 2 months ago #64452

I'd check for plugged passages and the hole the water stream comes out. Mine was blocked with a piece of the broken impeller. It was pumping and then wasn't after I had replaced the offending impeller. Seems a tiny piece was lodged in the small tube. After I cleared it I's been fine. Looks like a fine project.

Re: What do I have here? boat and outboard. 12 years 2 months ago #64456

Grinch,

1sr, welcome to the group.
and
PURTY GLASPAR Marathon.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle