Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seacast

Seacast 12 years 3 months ago #63646

HAs anyone here used seacast before and if so was worth the time and money spent on it. I have to replace the transome on my 1965 Nylox since PO cut it to fit a shortshaft motor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Seacast 12 years 3 months ago #63647

Here's my opinion on composite transoms. Seacast is the top of the line. NidaBond and Arjay are similar products and less expensive. You must have a good inner and outer transom skin to make one. The removal of the wood core is not the easiest but can be done with a chainsaw and extended drill bits etc.. The cost is HIGH. Plus side is..Less intrusive to the boat and in some cases less work. It will never need replacing. However in most cases if the transom needs replaced then so does the deck and the stringers thus precipitating the removal of both. Once you have gone that far it's not that much more difficult to remove the transom in the traditional manner. A properly fabricated, installed and maintained wood core transom will last 40+ years. Will you have the boat then?? My boat is 52 years old and still has the original transom. Always stored inside. All holes predrilled and filled with marine sealant to keep water intrusion to the minimum. If you do this why build a "LifeTime" transom that cost's 3 times as much. My transom has lasted for "Life" Just my 2¢ worth.

Re: Seacast 12 years 3 months ago #63654

Ditto on above comments. The main problem with Seacast and stuff like it is getting a complete bond with the fiberglass. The Seacast MUST have a good bond on both sides. Think of it like an Oreo cookie. The glass gives it the strength. If you have to build a facing wall because the original is wood faced - it isn't worth it. If you are trying to raise the transom - forget it. Most of these boats will pop apart quite easily after the removal of hardware. It is not as difficult of a job as it sounds. A traditional transom done correctly will be stronger and more able to withstand severe shocks.
Attachments:

Re: Seacast 12 years 3 months ago #63685

Spoiledgnat1,

to me, Seacast (& the other clones) is NOT worth the $$$$$$$$.

Neither is it, in any way, superior to "popping the top" off the hull & ripping out all the wood, down to the bare fiberglass &"going back" with MDO plywood in sheets/strips, set/coated in the cheapest industrial epoxy that i could find.
I would thicken it with agricultural/pulverized lime (from the farm supply).
(imVho, MDO is SUPERIOR to lumber or other "reasonably accessable" plywoods, as it will stand up to weather for DECADES on highway signs, that are simply spray-painted.)

truthfully, i'm too cheap to pay Seacast prices, when MDO, coated will likely outlast the hull!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Seacast 12 years 3 months ago #63866

I have to agree with the first two posts.
I used it for my 68' Starcraft.
It (the boat) must have been built with poly resin, or you can't use it.
Getting the old transom out was difficult unless you are an artist with a chainsaw, or it is really rotted.
I would not hesitate to do it again, after all it is only money.
The support from the company was excellent as well.
It has been 5 years now, and no sign of trouble. The transom would stop a heavy caliber bullet for sure.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online