• Page:

TOPIC: 1972 Sea Ray 190 restore: engien room ventilation

1972 Sea Ray 190 restore: engien room ventilation 12 years 3 months ago #63152

• Ike
  • Ike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
I posted this once before but it got lost in server transfer.

Got a problem and maybe some of you have some useful suggestions. I removed the old vent hose (it was really nasty looking) and found out the collector (I always called this a manifold) for the exhaust vent is really trashed. The blower works fine. But it was screwed to the collector and the the plastic is really broken badly in many places. Now most of you will say, just replace it. Not so easy. They actually glassed this thing into the underside of the deck.

A photo (admittedly not a very good one, but it's very hard spot to get at let alone take a decent photo of it.) You are looking up at the bottom of the deck.

This is mounted at the very stern of the boat, with the outlet on the top of the transom. The other boxes for the two intake vents are fine. They just need new hose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re: 1972 Sea Ray 190 restore: engien room ventilation 12 years 3 months ago #63159

Can we get a pic of the outside.
I am not an inboard person, but I think I see your problem.
Are those things even available to replace?
If you had them, how accessible is that area?
Have you worked with fiberglass before?

Re:1972 Sea Ray 190 restore: engien room ventilation 12 years 3 months ago #63160

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentMy first thought was to buy (or build) an air box with a little larger inside dimensions and just slip it over what is already there. Not sure that's the right way to do it, but it's a thought.

If the two fiberglass straps are all that's holding it in place, cutting those to remove and replace may be a more viable option Ike. I know it's going to be a pain, but it looks like the old plastic has become brittle, I don't think repairing what you have would be an option?

Mark

Re: 1972 Sea Ray 190 restore: engien room ventilation 12 years 3 months ago #63161

Those look like "hoods" from a dust collector system.
Attachments:

Re: 1972 Sea Ray 190 restore: engien room ventilation 12 years 3 months ago #63162

Those look like "hoods" from a dust collector system.
Attachments:

Re:1972 Sea Ray 190 restore: engien room ventilation 12 years 3 months ago #63171

• Ike
  • Ike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Here is a sketch of the vent.

It is essentially a rectangular box with three round holes in the bottom. The middle one is a blank and not actually a hole. The one on the port side (far end) is for natural ventilation when the blower isn't running. The other has the blower attached (a squirrel cage blower that really puts out) The air vents out the back of the box through a rectangular opening. On the outside of the hull is grill.

I suppose I could cut it out of the glass, I have a saw that would work finee.

Finding a new collector box that would work is the problem. Of course with some aluminum or HDPE I could probably make one.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:1972 Sea Ray 190 restore: engien room ventilation 12 years 3 months ago #63176

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Take a trip to Home Depot...cruise the dryer vent section. Should be something you can adapt

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online