Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A secret explained (have more free time)

A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #62945

• Bigfoot
  • Bigfoot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
This is in responce to John's thread regarding (am I ever going to get a boat done) John seems to be a hard worker, don't worry, you will get that boat done, you have that drive.......

I will tell you a secret on how to get more work done around the house. A little about me. I have a full time 40 hr wk job, drive 1000-1500 miles per week(2-3 hundred miles a day unpaid drive to the job) Sit in down town losangeles/ southern california traffic 3-5 hours per day drive.
I also kick a$$ on my projects at home. I knock out huge projects one right after another. I got all this energy and time back in 2008. Now what happend to me in 2008 to give me all this energy and time you might ask. That was the year I gave up the television cold turkey. Thats right, I do not watch tv. I dont miss it and expecially dont miss the advertisment's blairing in my ear ball's =)
Come 8pm I dont have to drop everything to go watch that night's program and on the weekend's no more truck gear head shows sucking me of my life like a time vaccume. Ha, I actually feel sorry for those tv watcher's, lol
Instead I plan my next move enjoying/loving life, the outdoor's in my back yard or open garage. I have music in the back ground playing 24/7 not only in my garage but through out my entire property. (january 2012 project) That reminds me that I should mention I try to break down my projects in months of time. Big projects like additions, kitchen rebuilds and such may take 2. Also Between the main projects I work on mini projects while I wait for parts or need to figure something out.
Right now Im redoing 6 parrot flight's in the back including new cement framing, new roof's and mister set up. I replaced 6 fence post's before that. im doing the misters this week and my nect project will either be add 400 sq ft of pavers around my garden, build that new garden tool shed or maybe because its summer and the sun is killing me I might pull my glasspar del mar in the garage and redo that thing and try to have it done in less then 10 weeks. Then after summer I can go back to finishing up the outdoor stuff I mentioned.
Its funny because all this will happen soon because since I dont watch tv I dont have anything better to do. My project's are end less & I hope they never have to end.
The internet is all I need and I manage to get all my info from there. It too can be a time vaccume.
Have a good time with what you do, Its your life, Just a little friendly tip from someone that is living the results, Mike...

This site also kicks butt, ha

Wow, I just found out Michael Jackson died! I bet that tonight's top story.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #62951

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I go through phases. For a while, I stopped watching in the summer because that was re-run season. Then the bastards caught on and started putting on some new shows in the summer. I only watch scripted Television and the news, but still, that can suck a lot of time. I really do need to just throw the darn things in the trash and start a new life as you suggest.

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #62952

Well my man cave (garage) is a mess but it's full of projects. The previous owner did me a favor by having a telephone line and cable put out there so I don't miss anything while I'm out there. Instead of having the radio on i have the tv on in the background. Only stop once in a while, which is still much better than completely stopping and going inside and watching! LOL

Bob

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #62954

thank you bigfoot for the compliment.
i try to work as hard as i can but i cant take too much heat,with a damaged heart from 4 heart attacks,boy that slows me way up,lol.
when i work in the garage i have a tv playing in the background also,just because its too quiet out there,lol.
my garage is just a cheap 14x24 shed,i have no heat so winter i cant do much,except this winter i worked on the inside of the room addition.
and my air conditioner broke down so no cool garage either,lol,black shingles and over 90 degrees the next few days,lol.

in fact im going to my doctors this morning because of neck pain where my artery is on the left side,also i think my collar bone is broken or hurt in some way.

and my wife and i also go to bed at about 9 pm,lol.

im pretty sure ill get started on that boat this week,and i will take your advise and slow up on the tv thing,thanks bigffoot,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #62959

I generally watch a few things but not much. I for one cannot work steady like I used to. My back demands some of the time. I do not take much pain killers. I took about 5 last month. Some days you literally feel like crying. I used to leave the house at 2;30- 3:00 and work commercial accounts until 10:00-11:00 and do residential work. You got done when that was done. I worked a large area and put over 50,000 on my service truck a year. Am average not so busy day was about 15 hours and worked many 20's.I did this for over twenty years. I wonder why my body is worn out. Diabetics heal slowly. I've been one for many years and I am now insulin resistant. Look it up and see what I deal with 24-7. I keep moving but have to rest. It is too easy to just stop.It's in the 90's and I'm mowing grass. Just came in to cool down and drink some water. I found that I am fine with 2-3 hours sleep. I worked that way for years.

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #62977

There is a time and a place for everything (even TV)

The trick is not to go overboard on it.

Everything in moderation
Nothing to excess!

Quick question do we call this site Fibberglassics because of the boats, or the age of the boat owners? LOL.

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #62984

I remember the first old fiberglass boat that caught my eye way back in the mid eighties. It had huge fins and the guy wanted $250 for it. I seen it and said to myself, "God what an ugly boat." Anyway I drove by it and it started to grow on me. I drove past going to work and decided to ask about less money. When I got off work it was gone. I stopped anyway and in the backyard was smoldering pile of gunk. Yep he torched it after he sold the trailer that day. Oh well.

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #62986

Robert,

That is just so wrong!

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #62996

He took $100 for the trailer and told me the boat went with it. The guy didn't want the boat so they pushed it off onto the burn pile. This is rural so no big deal burning.

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63029

Like all of you, my project time is limited, and the fun projects are lined up behind the required ones. I work 50+ hours a week.

I was showing one of my brothers my newly cleaned, painted, sealed, 75% empty basement(it was 95% full of junk) with my new shop set up. He asked me, how do you get so much done? The answer is;

I don't watch TV much, and it always take second seat to projects. I start as soon as I can after getting home so as to not run the risk of attaching to the couch. I do things like the dishes after I run out of enthusiasm (no brain and little energy needed for dishes). Same approach to the internet.

I try to put in time whenever I can, even if it is just 15 minutes. Maybe all i do is straighten up the work bench so I am not searching for tools when I do get project time. Or test fit a part. Or just stare at it and think (many times resulting in an "ah ha"). Maybe screw on one bolt. And I often prefer to hang in the shop on a friday or saturday night vs. going out drinking with the boys (But I will go out with the girls ;) .

A big plus f

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63035

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I'm getting curious. We all mention our aches and pains, operations, heart attacks, knees, forgetfulness. Anyone care to disclose their ages so we can get an idea of what were dealing with here.
Me,,,,,,67

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63038

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Just 50. And Micheal Jackson died, when????????????/

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63040

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i'm 28. been tinkering on boats since way back in the good 'ole days of January, 2012 =)

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63041

Forgot,I had to go ask the wife. She said 57.

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63061

51 on july 8th,1st heart attack at age 42.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63063

65...2 yrs. on dialysis and feelin great, except for planatar faciatis (inflamed ligament in heel).

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63071

I'm 53. I was what is termed a workaholic. I was always doing something.

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63072

51 but fell like I am.......51 most days. Some I feel 80. Some I feel 30. Blessed with good health so far.

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63073

As far as I'm concerned, all TV does is homogenize the masses. It ain't me babe. I don't even have a chair I like to sit in in the living room. When I do have the TV on, I have it on one of those free music channels (we're on satellite - no choice). Also, no choice for having TVs - the wife absolutely requires it, and watches it religiously.

My problem is books - I love them, and very much enjoy reading. Also, I have a 20 week old puppy, and he takes up a lot of my time, but it's very happy time. He's gonna be a great dog when he grows up.

Yesterday and today, my problem is meetings at night and heat. Just as good I have other stuff going on at night, at least tonight and yesterday. Too hot to really be doing anything else outside.

I am in great hopes we'll be out in the boat Saturday. Had to get our puppy a bigger life vest, he's grown so much. Can't wait to see what he thinks of it!

Frank

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63074

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Skip, LOL. Did you need her permission or reminder :laugh:
Good to really see a more youthfull generation keeping these great boats in the mix.
John, all great men are born in JULY. :woohoo:
Around my area there are mostly the cookie cutter boats, all I/O's with the same hull design but a different name, maybe a few chick boats that I can actually hear on the water from my home which is a distance from the Bay.
I guess I'm pretty regimented with time, usually up around 6am catch up on the news (Fox), and then keep myself busy all day. By 6pm it's tottie time, go see the grandkids in their sports activities. This weekend I finally plan on dunking the woodie for the first time this year. Did I say that right??? :ohmy:

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63084

I used to read a lot too. After I had my cataracts out I just could not get back into it. I hate bifocals. I can use regular magnifiers but just can't get back into it.

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63086

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
52, I don't watch much TV, good health. Cabin (No TV, Internet) Farm (No nothin'), Home in CA. (1 TV in the house, everyone has to use it) With three little ones and a company to run my "free time" is from 5am - 7am. Then everything goes to heck.. :laugh:

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63102

I'm 49......... I would have been older but I was sick for a few years.

Bladder Cancer survivor........ Never give up, Never!

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63134

• Ritchie
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thank you Bigfoot for starting this thread.
I was feeling like John with my eight car projects and one boat project. The only time I have to work on them is after work and on weekends. I was even thinking about selling my 66 galaxie for free.99. But now I will hang on to it for later.
Thanks again for the motivational thread Bigfoot. I just may have room to take on more stray vehicles now.

I will be 48 in october.

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63147

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I celebrated my last birthday this year. I'm 49. I'm going to stay 49. No more birthdays for me. 49 is old enough to have a little wisdom, but young enough to still enjoy the better things in life. Just a few aches and pains to remind you to appreciate every moment of every day.

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63153

What we talk'in bout anyway I forgot. Damn old stuff sucks. I think I'll go watch SpongeBob. LOL
Attachments:

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63155

• Ritchie
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have that too. I call it the "CRAFT". Cant Remember a F$%&*#% Thing.

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63157

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
51 with a back muscle that stabs me occasionally. Garage has no room in the winter with both vehicles inside, I tinker with antique outboards when I can. If the heat and humidity (especially the humidity) get too much, I watch the TV shows I recorded on the DVR (love that thing).

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63164

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Kerry wrote:

If the heat and humidity get too much

aaaa....you have a boat. Right? :laugh:

You don't have to always work on the boat. It is OK to use it too.

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63180

Ritchie, yep your right it actually starts out CRS disease then moves quickly to CRAFT!!!!!!!! LOL

And I resemble that remark!

Bob

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63183

HI, all,

65YY & retired Army, here.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 3 months ago #63255

54 and have been spending weekends on the Mississippi for my whole life, most of the time in a wooden boat. I now have a '59 Thompson that I bought from a neighbor at our cottage. I have pictures of 6 of us skiing behind it back in the mid 70's.
Bill

Re:A secret explained (have more free time) 12 years 2 months ago #64845

56 here and I had my first rig when I was 14.Grew up with boats ever since.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online