• Page:

TOPIC: sealant options?

sealant options? 12 years 3 months ago #62864

• riceman
  • riceman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Putting the LU off of my 1958 fat fifty back together (thanks for the parts Joe!) and was recommended 3M 847 for the spaghetti seal in the split casing. i looked that up on 3m.com and it claims to be a sealant that stays flexible and adheres to most surfaces. it's also resistant to oil and such. based on that description, shouldn't i be able to use most automotive RTV/silicone/gasket maker type products? i only ask because we only have one supplier that carries 3M products here locally, and they're already closed for the weekend. it'd be nice to seal it up and get it in the water this weekend if possible.

thanks
chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:sealant options? 12 years 3 months ago #62922

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
any thoughts on this? ended up being too busy this weekend anyway, but i'd like to get it put together tonight if possible. supposed to be beautiful here by wednesday and i want to be on that water!

Re:sealant options? 12 years 3 months ago #62935

chris,in my opinion(which isnt worth a whole lot,lol)3M is a very good brand and worth waiting for,i have tried the other stuff that wasnt 3M,and boy what a difference,like their masking tape and double sided tape for example,i tried the cheaper stuff,just to have it fall off,the 3M,has lasted and stayed on.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:sealant options? 12 years 3 months ago #62957

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John -

i whole-heartedly agree with you. 3M makes some pretty awesome stuff. my dilemma stemmed specifically from the 847. no one around here had even heard of it, let alone carry it. NAPA would get some for me, but i had to order an entire case. and, at $17 a tube, that's not happening. our local Grainger may be able to get some in for me. we'll see.

Re:sealant options? 12 years 3 months ago #62960

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Mark

Re:sealant options? 12 years 3 months ago #62965

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks mark. i was hoping it would be on the shelf at our local store, but no such luck. they did have it an hour or two away, so i'll be delivered here to me by early tomorrow at the latest. i put all of the seals and such in and got it together last night except for the spaghetti seal. hopefully the sealant doesn't take too long to cure, because i could have it sealed up and on the boat in less than an hour when i get home tomorrow. i'd love to get it right in the water!

as a side note, is there a wrong way to use the stuff? i planned on just laying it in the channel where the seal sits and then pushing the seal in on top of it. and there's a round plate that seals the prop shaft. this plate has an o-ring where it seals to the housing as well. do i need this sealant there too, or is the o-ring sufficient? would it hurt to put it there anyway?

sorry for the dumb questions, but i've never dealt with seals like this. they're a little different from the gaskets on old hot rods =)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online