• Page:

TOPIC: Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts

Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 12 years 3 months ago #62837

• TNLark35
  • TNLark35's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
My latest acquisition, a 1962 Magnolia Mag Cat with a pair of Flying Scott Customs. Anyone know how to date a Scott Atwater? I need to clean the serial number plates, they have been painted over and are not readable. I think the boat originally had a pair of Mercs on it, by the holes in the transom.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 12 years 3 months ago #62844

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
...CONGRATS, TENN, Way to go . That is a serious boat / combo...
Drive to Texas or pop up locally .?? Do not have a ID guide , but early 60's is period. Round up some of your other neighbors for the Sept 28 & 29 Knoxville show.

Re:Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 12 years 3 months ago #62848

• TNLark35
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yeah I got it locally, it popped up on craigslist. It was too cool to pass up. Wasn't really sure what it was until I got to the dudes house. He got it on trade and it had been local for 8 years that he knows of, right outside of Nashville! Got a link to details about the Sept show?

Re:Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 12 years 3 months ago #62853

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
,,Here was/ is the ACBS event LINK info for the May date. Fall is Sept 28 -29 www.acbs.org/calendar/index.php?eID=147 I see
there is the Lower KY full ACBS show that weekend.
Here is a link for some photo summary www.glassicsonline.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13431857

Re:Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 12 years 3 months ago #62860

www.scott-atwater.com/Model-ID.htm
www.scottatwaterinfo.com/
I need to get an impeller for my 1957 7 1/2 hp but just can't swing it now.

Re: Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 12 years 3 months ago #62874

this is a very interesting find. They look like 1961 75hp engines. I would need additional pictures of engines to confirm.

Re: Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 12 years 3 months ago #62905

• TNLark35
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I think they are 61 75hp's, I will get some good pics this evening for you. I tried to start the right side motor, it wants to go, carbs leak (stuck float or needle) and it let out a mighty backfire, so I quit cranking. Tune ups are needed. Thanks for the info everyone!

Re: Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 12 years 3 months ago #62916

Here's what my 61 75hp FS hood looks like. It's still stuck in Spokane getting carbs rebuilt and tuned up. Hope to have her back VERY shortly (dreaming)
Tom
Attachments:

Re:Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 12 years 3 months ago #62926

wow!!! beautiful cowling you got there. ron

Re: Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 12 years 3 months ago #62963

• TNLark35
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wow thats fantastic!! Is there source for NOS parts for these?
Thanks for the pics!

Fiddyninefins wrote:

Here's what my 61 75hp FS hood looks like. It's still stuck in Spokane getting carbs rebuilt and tuned up. Hope to have her back VERY shortly (dreaming)
Tom

Re: Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 12 years 3 months ago #63099

Take a look at www.laingsoutboards.com .

I got my carb rebuild kits there.

Tom

Re:Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 11 years 3 days ago #84847

Do you still have this boat? I have one like it that I'm getting ready to tackle. It came with one Royal Scott 45 slid to the center. Any info would be greatly appreciated and much thanks for the inspiration.

Re:Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 11 years 2 days ago #84855

Nice find, Ive been looking for a scott custom for several years....and you found 2........lol

Re:Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 11 years 2 days ago #84867

WOW WHAT A SCORE!
Those motors are 1961 Flying Scotts for sure and that looks like a 16ft model which is the only one I have seen. I own a 1961 18ft with twin Flying Scotts myself. Mine needs a complete restore but it came rigged with the Scotts. I will add some pics for ya to see. Now the motors you have are very spendy. For instance I paid $2000 for a scott custom gear case for another project I have. I have seen those motors go for up to $5000 each on ebay in past years. So what ever you paid for it Less then $12000.00 there is your equity. Now do some measuring before you just through it in the water and run it so you make sure the motors will get water and that they are not mounted on a 20" transum. You will cook them in a instance. Also the 3 blade props pictured will not perform at all running on the surface they will blow out when the boat comes on plane. So be aware of that when you hit the trottles so you can back off till they get a grip. Jeff or Ponyboy will tell you as I will that the cupped props for these gear cases are almost none existance, thus why they have 3 blades now. The 3 blades more then likely came off 40hp motors because those fit the shaft so I have learned. Another thing about the gear cases is they are not all that strong so warm up in neutral then shut them off shift into forward and restart the motors. You do not want to wreck the gears because there are no more in existance that I have found. I only know one guy that has some parts for these gear cases that is willing to sell stuff. At a premium price I might add. Now maybe my evaluation of 12 grand for that rig is a bit high but on a bad day the motors are still worth 3 grand each. Never the less its a amazing score. As far as mag cats go with yours that makes 7 I know about that exist today so you have one rare piece of history for sure. Keep us posted on your progress with your new toy.
Bob

When I got my boat thanks to Del finding it for me. It was covered with tree mold and was pretty nasty. It came with a pair of counter rotating 1961 Merc 800 DR's. I gave it a big time steam cleaning and fitted the Scotts on. I knew the transum was really bad but thought it was good enough to hang the motors on for a picture or too. I came down to the shop a few days later to take a pic for my resto file and this is what I saw. One of the motors had fallen off where she sat. It just peeled off the back and landed in the soft grass thank god no damage but it was a good laugh.
OOPS

Re:Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 11 years 2 days ago #84869

• TNLark35
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bob,
Thanks for the great info. I still have mine, its in dry storage waiting for a resto. Someone already modified the transom to fit the short shaft motors. Its looks right... I dont know for sure. When I restore it, I will probably restore the motors and get the boat structurally sound first, before regel coating it, fully rig it and test it. Then I will disassemble it for cosmetics and upholstery. Anyways great to see another one out there.

Bob are you in Minnesota? I have family in Winona and will be up there around Thanksgiving.

Re:Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 11 years 2 days ago #84870

Yes I am, I am in the Rochester area so come on over. I am a big cat nut and have several Cat hulls. 2 Powercat's, 1960 Bearcat, 1961 Magnolia Cat and a Custom Craft Manta Ray. Drop me a email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. when your comin. I will be thinning the herd some this fall but I still have 60 boats to see. Just came on to post some ads on glassifieds and got all caught up on this LOL. I will have to get my ads up later.
Bob

Re:Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 11 years 2 days ago #84871

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I'd love to see pix of the motors with the cowls off. There's a racing 75hp that pops up on ebay now and then for $5K. Wow!

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Re:Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 11 years 2 days ago #84880

Thats not anything special just put together from some motors laying around. I know Dick well and I don't believe its ever been run. Dick was a scott dealer back in the day and I bought his last complete scott custom lower unit a few years back. I have one flying scott custom myself. As for the powerhead you can't tell it from a stock one. Now if I had a rotory valve motor that would be something to see.

Re:Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 11 years 1 day ago #84889

• billr
Bob,
How about a pic of your Bearcat catamaran?

THere used to be a black Magnolia Cat in Florida that was owned by the sone of the builder or something like that. I might have it on older computer. And Jeff Reith had a really nice Mag Cat too.
Danny at powercatboat.com has some good stories about the rivalry in the endurance races between the PC and MC crews.

Re: Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 8 years 10 months ago #117423

• ARTK
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
IVE have a 1962 red mag-cat dont know how to post pic see scrm\fly terrikirchner profile click photo albums run single 150 merc the boat is awsome runs over 60

Re: Magnolia Mag Cat with twin Flying Scotts 7 years 10 months ago #129230

• ARTK
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Took of 150 now run 2.4 220 with ss 26'' chopper 75 mph!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online