• Page:

TOPIC: More Prop or Less? Update

More Prop or Less? Update 12 years 4 months ago #62500

• DaveK
  • DaveK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Back about 8 mos. ago. I asked about prop changes for my boat. Most told and I agree, the very best way is to get a tach and see where you are at on RPM. I never did get a tach and still should, but I did pick up a new prop. I was at an out of the way place where a guy has a bunch of old inventory on many boat items and I asked if he had a 10 3/8"x 13 1/4" prop that would be the original size that my motor would have came with. He just happened to have a NOS prop and the price was just too good to walk away from! My previous prop on the motor was a new 10 1/2"x12" and it really jumped the boat on plane and is probably a very good prop for skiing. After much playing and boat trimming, with 2 aboard, I was able to get 28.3 mph using the GPS as my speedo. I was happy, but for some reason, I wanted to get 30+mph with 2 aboard. When I ran across that new NOS 10 3/8"X13 1/4" prop, I knew I needed a spare prop anyhow, so this would be good to get. In a some playing, it still will set the boat on a plane very quickly, almost leaping on the plane. With a little trimming again and now with the same 2 adults on board, the boat will now hit 31.4 according to the GPS. I think I have hit on the right combination for this boat. I am sure the larger prop will probably struggle in a turn with a skier on back, but for everyday cruising, I think this prop is about perfect. The main thing for me is I am happy to have been playing with the rig, happy to get over 30 mph and of course had a good time doing it all. I am very pleased with the '57 35HP motor pushing this 14'.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:More Prop or Less? Update 12 years 4 months ago #62504

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Use the smaller prop for skiing and when you have more than 3 passengers on board.Again without a tach it's hard to suggest anything,even the above,as you may be over or well under the redline. Lugging and over revving are engine killers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cool runnings Mr 88
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle