Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Herters, followed me home

Herters, followed me home 12 years 4 months ago #62375

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I've been driving past this boat for years. It's been sitting in a driveway, wrapped in a tarp, with the cast bow plate sticking out, taunting me. I stopped by last week when I saw someone in the yard, just to ask what kind of boat it was? From the road, I was thinking Aluma Craft?

Somehow it ended up in my yard. I know it's a Herters. The registration says it's a 1959, 14 ft. No fins but cool castings and it looks like it could be a fun little runner. Came with a funky 18 hp West Ben Shark.

I'm looking for info, pictures, etc. Not much in the library here. I especially want to see what the seat backs were like originally, as they're gone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Herters, followed me home 12 years 4 months ago #62376

Looks like a nice little boat you got there.

Re:Herters, followed me home 12 years 4 months ago #62378

Cool.

Not much about Herter's boats out there. I spent several hours at the library and county historical society in Wasceca, MN recently. The latter has Herter's stuff but virtually nothing about the boats.

Your best bet is to attempt to find old Herter's catalogs and see if they had boat information in them. Herter's was the Cabella's of the day. Their main products were ammunition, guns, fishing equipment, etc.... Boats were not a major part of their output.

Andreas

Re:Herters, followed me home 12 years 4 months ago #62384

Hi I looked up Mark lll,s in my Herters books. In the 58 book they show a Mark lll just like yours with no back rests on the seats. But in the 57 book they do show back rests. How ever in the 57 book they call the boat a Flying fish standard runabout.
In 59 the Mark lll is totally a different looking boat . It has fins a walk thru front seat and folding rear seat back

D

SORRY LARRY I DO NOT KNOW WHY YOUR PROFILE PICTURE COMES UP WITH MY POST

Re:Herters, followed me home 12 years 4 months ago #62398

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Wow, thanks for the speedy replies, the helpful suggestions and info!

Hey herters59 (D) , do you have a scanner? I'd love to see those pages and it would be great to get that info into the library.

-David

Re:Herters, followed me home 12 years 4 months ago #62399

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Looks like it's in really good condition. Does the motor run? Many years ago I had a West Bend just like that, ran like a dream.
Can't go wrong with the Herters.
Attachments:

Re:Herters, followed me home 12 years 4 months ago #62407

WestBend made motors for Sears in the early years with the Elgin name.
Attachments:

Re:Herters, followed me home 12 years 4 months ago #62412

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Very cool boat- Looks to be in pretty decent shape, too!

That's a neat old motor, if you need the service manual for it you can download it (free, of course!) from my site-

agott.com/glassboat/manuals.html

Just scroll down to west bend....

-Andrew

Re:Herters, followed me home 12 years 4 months ago #62416

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Andgott wrote:

Very cool boat- Looks to be in pretty decent shape, too!

That's a neat old motor, if you need the service manual for it you can download it (free, of course!) from my site-

agott.com/glassboat/manuals.html

Just scroll down to west bend....

-Andrew

Andrew-
Cool website! Those manuals are a nice resource. Some of your links aren't working, but nice layout!
-David

Re:Herters, followed me home 12 years 4 months ago #62417

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
elgindave wrote:

WestBend made motors for Sears in the early years with the Elgin name.

I restored a 1956 Elgin (West Bend) 12 hp last year that turned out to be a great runner. It's one of those motors with the key switch that adjusts to 5, 7.5, or 12 hp.

The prior owner said this motor had a problem with the recoil, that plastic piece on top of the spool that's prone to breaking. He used to start it by taking off the hood and using a rope on the flywheel. I haven't tried it yet. I think I'll check the lower unit and change the impeller before trying to pull it over.

I opened noticed some brackets in the front of the motor that seem to hold a long, narrow light bulb. The brochure on this site says this motor had a "dash light." What's the chance of finding one of those bulbs?
-David

Re:Herters, followed me home 11 years 8 months ago #74092

David,

I also recently purchased a 1958 Herter's Mark III. There are not many of these around. Yours is the first one I have found like the one I purchased. There is another one similar on Craigslist, but it is called a Herter's Manitoba. syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/3547393735.html Mine has a period correct 35 HP Elgin Skipper on it, but it is missing the cowling. Mine is also missing the seats. Would like to find more information on the boat, so if you have anything I would appreciate it. Are you restoring the one you have yet?

Brad
Attachments:

Re: Herters, followed me home 11 years 8 months ago #74102

davidk,

Downright NIFTY LITTLE RIG. - I've never seen one exactly like that!

IF it was mine, I would find out for sure which year it was made & then find a matching OMC BigTwin of the same year to match it.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Herters, followed me home 11 years 8 months ago #74116

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Brad-
I haven't found out any more information on my boat. I'm on the lookout for late 50's Herters catalogs, as suggested above, hoping to find some advertisement photos, etc. ( If anyone reading this has any resources, please scan and post them).

The one you cite as posted on Craigslist is also shown here in the Glassifieds.

Let's see more photos of yours. The seats on the boats seem like they would be easy to fabricate, except for the cast bracket that braces a post in the center of the front seat. (I can't remember if it's the same in the back seat). I'll see if I have any photos from when I took them apart, to re-secure them.

I guess the seats never had a seat back, though there are holes drilled in my seats indicating that prior owner(s) tried to add something. I'll need to figure something out, because I really need some back support.

Good luck with your project. I'm glad to know of another example of this boat, and I'm eager to learn learn what you learn about it.
-David
Attachments:

Re:Herters, followed me home 11 years 8 months ago #74162

Found this article that mentions the Herter's Mark III Standard Runabout, but does not show any pitures.
www.acbs-bslol.com/Classicglass/Herters.htm

Can you take some more detailed pictures of the seats? I am also going to have to make the windshield. I don't want to be a bother, but is there anyway you would make a cardboard template for the windshield for me?

I have included a link to more pictures of my boat.

www.flickr.com/photos/baw541/sets/72157632704182672/

Re:Herters, followed me home 11 years 8 months ago #74166

Is that just floatation under the seat?

Re:Herters, followed me home 11 years 8 months ago #74168

baw541,
I have scanned the pics of a a 1957 Herters Mark III, and a 1957 Fish Standard Runabout from the Herters 1957 Marine catalog.
I have complete collection of Herters catalogs and soon as I get a little free time for scans I'll post more info on your's and davidk's Herters Mark III boats.
Both boats appear to be 1957 Mark III models. Mark III's had duraluminum seats and no seat backs according to the 57 catalog. It appears that davidk's still has the original seats.
The 57 Mark III's are often confused with the 1957 Standard Flying Fish. They look alike, but the Standard is 15 ft. 7 in. long, the Mark III is 14 ft. The Standard had seat backs, the Mark III's didn't.
They aren't 56 models as the 56 Mark III had a duraluminum center deck, and they aren't 58 models as the 58 Mark III models had fiberglass fins.
So, irregardless of the registration, they appear to be 57's.
It is not uncommon to see old boats with incorrect years of manufacture on the registration.
If you are interested in obtaining Herters catalogs, use ebay and search under "Herters catalogs". The mid fifties ones come up frequently for prices from $10 -$20. You'll see some buyers asking $50+ for them, but if you wait, the reasonably priced ones will show up eventually.
Edit: I am having problems uploading the scans. I changed them to .jpg and I got a message that the system didn't accept .jpg files. Did it three times. Ended up with multiple posts and one pic missing. Never had a problem before. I'll have to check with Ken.

Got second pic to post.
Attachments:

Re:Herters, followed me home 11 years 8 months ago #74174

Wow! Thanks for the scans and info! I will keep a look out for the catalog on Ebay. Anyone know why the steering wheel is on the left on mine? Was that an option?

Re:Herters, followed me home 11 years 8 months ago #74183

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
VERY cool of you to provide the scans for us, Flying Fish, and your explanation of narrowing down the model year is very helpful! Thanks!

Brad-
The seat bottom is a styrofoam block, with a post through the middle to support the bench. The foam block has simple sheet of aluminum wrapped around it, folded in a large U-shape, bolted underneath the bench. Open on each end. The key pieces are the Herters castings that set the post and bolt to the floor. Without those castings, I'd just make my own simple benches, supported with brackets to the sides of the hull, and configure my own bench to floor support.

It's winter here in Maine.... well I guess it's winter in a lot of places..... but it's not an easy time for me to take the seats apart and photograph the pieces. Come Spring, if you still need details, I can try to help.

My windshield seemed too tall for the lines of the boat. I tried to trim it down and I made a mess of it. I'm not sure that it was original.

Glad to see interest and info regarding these boats!
-David

Re:Herters, followed me home 10 years 11 months ago #85847

I have not posted anything for a while. I have been working on the boat here and there over the last few months. Having aluminum seats made, should have them in a week or so. I could not find the cowl to the 35hp Elgin Motor, so I abandoned restoring it. My father found a mint 1957 10 hp Evinrude Sportwin in an antique store for $250 with presure tank. The tank was pretty gummy and rusty. I have restored the tank to new conditon, I am pretty satisfied with how it turned out. I don't think the engine has more than a few hours on it. Antique store says it was owned by a dealer in Kansas City, Kansas. I was stored in his attic for 20 some years.
Will post more pictures soon, as it is going back together pretty fast.

Re:Herters, followed me home 10 years 11 months ago #85877

• MarkS
Looking great, can't wait to see the final product!

Mark

Re:Herters, followed me home 10 years 10 months ago #86778

Got the seats, speedometer and lights installed.
Attachments:

Re:Herters, followed me home 10 years 10 months ago #86780

Looking great.
Attachments:

Re:Herters, followed me home 9 years 2 months ago #113548

I have decided to sell my 1957 Herters Mark III. I believe it is pretty rare. Before I post it I would like to get an idea of how much it is worth. If anyone with knowledge of the Herters boats could give me a good starting price it would be much appreciated. I do not have the windshield for it, but I do have the original steering wheel that has been restored but not installed. I will also be including the 1957 10hp Sportwin that is in excellent condition. Minor scratches on cowl. Engine has less than two hours of run time in water since birth in 1957. I was told engine was display model in dealership in Kansas City Kansas, the owner stored in attic for 20 years. I have had the impeller replaced due to age. Motor runs great! The pressurized tank was also restored and is beautiful. I have everything for forward controls except for throttle and transmission cables.

See build photos here:
1957 Herters Mark III Build

Any help would be appreciated.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online