Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Good day boating, mostly.

Good day boating, mostly. 12 years 4 months ago #62114

The wife and I decided to take the Crestliner out today. Went over to our local lake in Iowa, just 15 min. from the house. The wind was blowing pretty good all day so the lake had whitecaps on it. Bought 6 gals of good gas and mixed it up with the penzoil syn stuff. Figure I would try this stuff because it is only 18 bucks a gal at wallyworld. Managed to get her in the water with no problems. She started ok and so off we went for a day of cruising. Ever notice how spray comes staight througth the windshield? We were taking alot of spray over the bow today and it all seamed to be coming straight through the windshield. Found one boater in a newer boat who needed a tow, his battery took a crap on him and wouldn't crank it over, so ,I towed him in. A couple of hrs latter found another group of people who needed a tow. these people had lost there prop off of the sterndrive. They wern't to happy, stainless. Towed them back to the dock. Alittle while latter I was leaning over the side to grap some garbage floating and somehow I managed to crack a rib. Hurts like hell. After anouther hr of pounding around the lake the wife says we better head in. To much pain. Get to the dock and have to wait for some idiot with a jetski to load? or unload?. I don't think he knew what the hell he was doing. so get into dock, leave boat with wife and hopes it don't float away while I get the truck.Get the boat loaded and pulls up into the parking area to strap her down. Walks around the back of the boat and notices that my prop lock from Mcguard is gone. Nothing there to hold the prop on. Talk about lucky.I don't think that I will be useing one of them again, I'll just stick with the old prop nut and cotter pin. At least I know that they will stay on. So all in all it wasn't a bad day, just a kinda lucky one. Now I just have a cracked rib to contend with for the next month. Everyone have a great weekend, Skip. :laugh: :P :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Good day boating, mostly. 12 years 4 months ago #62124

Skip,

I love your outlook. You are living proof that even the worst day on the water, is better than any day not on the water.

Hope the rib heals up with out to much trouble. That way you can get back to your marine towing service soon.

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:Good day boating, mostly. 12 years 4 months ago #62128

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad to hear your outing went well (for the most part) Skip, sorry to hear about the rib! I remember that pain well, gonna take a while to heal and not much you can do for it but "take it easy" until it does. Good on ya for the Good Samaritan towing service, it'll come back to you someday. ;) (Kinda makes you feel good inside to help another boater out too, right?)

Mark

Re:Good day boating, mostly. 12 years 4 months ago #62134

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Skip, busy day on the water?
In my area the best time to go boating is early to later evening, winds calm down and the hot-rodders are all liquired up and gone for the day. Boat ramp is usually empty and lots of parking spots close by. Always good to watch a sunset on the water no matter where you are.
Been on both sides of the towing issue, it's the old "what comes around..." Says a lot about checking your running gear for the beginning of the season.
Lay back with a tottie, popcorn, and nurse that rib for a few weeks.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:Good day boating, mostly. 12 years 4 months ago #62141

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
You are brave for venturing out there on a holiday weekend! We avoid the water for the most part on NORMAL weekends- But holidays are even worse.... Far too many idiots out there for my taste.

Sounds like you guys had a great day, despite a few major setbacks :)

-andrew

Re:Good day boating, mostly. 12 years 4 months ago #62143

Thanks guys for all the great comments. I usally don't go out on holiday weekends but I decided to go yesterday instead of today. Not as busy as today will be. I only saw one real idiot out there, abunch of guys in a big wakeboard boat. They thought they owned the lake. Allways has to be at least one of them.I told the wife we should go out today as there was no wind and it would be nice out there. She just looked at me and said " are you nuts". Guess I am not boating for awhile. Well everyone take care out there today. Skip. ;)

Re:Good day boating, mostly. 12 years 4 months ago #62152

I honest hope your rib heals fast we always need a good tow boat man everywhere. When you need one, you are happy as a lark if one is handy. If nor it can sure ruin a day.

Re:Good day boating, mostly. 12 years 4 months ago #62190

skip,im really sorry to hear about the rib(been there ,done that)
at least you have a boat on the water,and are able to use it,i have 6 boats waiting to be done,i started to work last year on one for my nephew,i wasted all summer waiting for him to come out and work on it,now he says he doesnt want it!
crap.
sorry about my little rant,lol,im hoping the rib gets alot better soon,buddy,i know its tough not being able to boat,especially with a nice boat like yours!!,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Good day boating, mostly. 12 years 4 months ago #62192

Good luck with the rib Skip. How long for one to heal? Never had that happen to me that I know of anyways.

Still trying to get my boat on the water. Almost ready for the power lift to go on, but get held up with another travel trailer, and needing to get the old one fixed up for sale. Should have the Power Cat on the water by the end of June I hope!

Take it easy...

Frank

Re:Good day boating, mostly. 12 years 4 months ago #62227

Skip,
Very sorry to hear about your rib, unfortunately I know the feeling also. Try to take it easy for a while no use pushing it and making it worse. Good on ya for towing those folks in, I'm sure they couldn't thank you enough! Karma for you!

Bob

Re:Good day boating, mostly. 12 years 4 months ago #62228

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Skip
I hope you get those ribs feeling better soon.
Kudos for being the tow boat. Broke on the water is not a good place to be.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle